Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Discussion Thread for the "Ask Dovetail Games..." Thread!

Correct me if I'm wrong but those panel shots appear to be from the cub so still no pics of the cherokee interior. :(

Give people power to really test their personality.

Looks like we are getting darks nights ;-) ...

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Looking forward for this, day and night :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well, Mutleys got a preview copy......... http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php?/topic/20165-dovetail-games-flight-school-new-preview-shots/

It seems all a part and parcel parcel of what we've been seeing/hearing all along, essentially a souped up FSX. Many will find that very reassuring, as it seems like the DTG experience will be much like fitting into a worn and comfortable old shoe that's just been resoled.

I'm sure I'll have fun with both Flightschool and DTG sim, I just feel this vague sense of barely quantifiable ennui, though.

I'm really tired of FSX; even in a sparkling new gown.........  :unsure:

Pretty, though.

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It's like FSX:SE but on steroids and with a new interface, a 1000 x performance boost and no OOMs

Thats what I wanted to hear....

It's like FSX:SE but on steroids and with a new interface, a 1000 x performance boost and no OOMs

Thats what I wanted to hear....

That means nothing. FSX stock also get tons of fps and no OOMs. And we all know that Orbx Global textures are not really heavy on performance.

Remember for who Flight School is aimed at, and wait for their Flight Sim to be released and have addons in it to actually judge fps and OOMs (sorry Melchor, this is more about everyone and less about your quoted message, but you got what i am saying)

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Mutley :-

The default aircraft are much better than FSX default but not a patch on the top end aircraft presently available for FSX.

Rather harsh.

Is He referring to in cockpit controls and flight dynamics? Because visually (apart from WIP shadows) that Cherokee looks fantastic.

Not sure if people are only popping in here (rather than looking elsewhere) to see if there are any updates.

If so you might have missed these two (linked from DTG Flight Schools Twitter account).

Helisimmer - (small review of the alpha)

https://t.co/tst8DYwrHk

Novawing24 - (half hour video review of the alpha including settings pages, freeflight, flightplanner etc, part of a new mini series on the product)

This is an interesting excerpt from Helisimmer...

I changed the weather so that I could fly through a storm and I have to say that the physics seemed much more brutal than in FSX. I had much more difficulty controlling the aircraft through the rough winds than I usually have in FSX which is making me suspect that the flight model had some pretty hard work done on it.

My own 2c, it's looking very good :smile:

• Upvote 1

Oh dear, those ATC voices are hilarious LOL.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Tim Stone's review of the preview build on Rock Paper Shotgun:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/06/the-flare-path-dovetail-games-flight-school-preview/

Some interesting comments there, from the guy that holds down the wargame/flight sim desk on an otherwise "gamer" site (presumably the target market). Also a bunch of new screenshots.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Based on the screenshots I have seen, I agree with him as far as the graphics are concerned. As for the flight lessons, it sounds to me like they are very short and basic, which is disappointing. The more I see and hear about DTG Flight School, the more convinced I am that it is not worth a place on my hard disk. Only time will tell whether DTG Flight Simulator will suffer the same fate.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

One of today's screenshots from DTG's facebook page.

Considerable improvement there.

I asked Martin recently if cloud blending (fading the clouds in the distance with the environment colour) would be adjusted for the release version, He said not. I think that's a shame as from a technical standpoint (I suspect) it's low hanging fruit and would add a huge amount to the realism.

Still, this is very nice...

13131106_627844537392396_227205294977055

After watching all the new videos in the other thread, I'm not sure what to say.

Yeah, graphically, it's a disappointment. I think we've all figured that out. The new ATC voices are terrible. The Flight lessons are exactly what they told us they wouldn't be (they said they wouldn't just be voice overs with visual paths like FSX's lessons were, but that's what they clearly are).

But the thing that bothered me the most was the flight dynamics I've witnessed so far. It doesn't look like they even bothered to model stall characteristics. When he stalls the Cub, the plane doesn't even respond at Vs1 and airspeed goes all the way to zero (keep in mind the cub ASI starts at 20mph). And when it finally does lose lift, it gently floats down to the horizon and that's it. Now, if they didn't bother to even put a placeholder stall effect in, why should I feel good about the quality of the rest of the flight model?

None of the lack of attention to detail I've seen so far gives me much confidence in what they are doing. If some want to keep painting unicorns on this or responding to every criticism with "well, I'm sure it'll be fixed!"...then go ahead. But this is starting to feel more and more like the disappointment I ended up feeling with Flight.

Based on the screenshots I have seen, I agree with him as far as the graphics are concerned. As for the flight lessons, it sounds to me like they are very short and basic, which is disappointing.

Well, the flight lessons might be easy to pass for experienced simmers, someone like you I suppose. But you are not really the target market. And I'm sure an absolute beginner will take quite a while to pass them - certainly sufficient time to justify the modest price paid for Flight School.

None of the lack of attention to detail I've seen so far gives me much confidence in what they are doing. If some want to keep painting unicorns on this or responding to every criticism with "well, I'm sure it'll be fixed!"...then go ahead. But this is starting to feel more and more like the disappointment I ended up feeling with Flight.

Here's what Frooglesim has to say about Flight School. It seems that indeed a lot of stuff is not quite finished yet, including the flightmodel.

https://youtu.be/uJf8bRLN35M

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS