Sign in to follow this  
busdriver

Should I Upgrade from a GTX 780 to a GTX 980 or 980ti?

Folks,

I did try searching for the answer, but wasn't able to find one. I'm running P3D v3.1 and will be building a new rig around the 6700K. I currently have a GTX 780, and wondering how much of  a performance gain I will see if I replace my GTX 780 with either a 980 or 980ti? I wont be running 4K. Is it worth the upgrade cost, and if so, can I get away with a 980 and have a great visual experience flying PMDG aircraft?

I'm grateful for any advice!

Cheers,

Busdriver

KPHL

I upgraded from a 780ti to a 980ti and found that it just seemed run smoother it may have been a bit of a placebo effect but to me it was definately the right choice

I don't run in 4k yet but with this card that will not be a problem

I usually run with a high amount of ai and with the extra ram that also seemed to make a difference

I would say if you can afford to do it, then get the ti version I dont think you will be disapointed

Pete Little

I upgraded from a 770 to 980ti, and the gain (fluency, fps) was certainly noticable, especially in clouds. I would assume that the step from 780 to a 980 is smaller. The better the card, the higher the settings can be.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

For sure, if you can afford it go for the 980ti.  Ram capacity is replaceable with nothing but more ram capacity, at least looking forward. I got a 390X for testing and the 8GB show positively even if the card has some other issue.

Hans

Rumor has it that the new pascal GPU will be out in May or June. Should that happen, the price of the 980 series will drop considerably.

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have a 780 gtx in an overclocked 3770k setup. I thought about getting a 980 also but after looking at the specs in the links below I changed my mind. The 980, while having a faster clock, has a lower texture fill rate and also a smaller memory interface width. To improve in these areas over the 780 you need to get the 980ti which is currently pricey.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780/specifications

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/specifications

When I built my 3770k I kept and used my old 285 GTX. When the 780 GTX came out, then I bought it. So I would do as Vic suggested. Build your skylake machine and use the 780 GTX until the pascal card is released. Then you'll have the option between a new pascal based card or reduced pricing on the 980ti. I don't know what CPU you are coming from but I imagine the new 6700k based system with a 780 should give you a good enough boost to keep you excited for the interim. By the time you get your new rig built, figure out how to properly overclock it, and install all your add-ons it will be well into summer anyway. At least at my rate of doing these things. :lol:

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I just upgraded from a 780 to a 980Ti when I built my new Skylake rig, but mainly to get the larger memory capacity (my 780 is 3GB, my new 980Ti is 6GB).  The larger memory was definitely worth it, otherwise I am not sure how much difference there would have been.

- Kevin

• Upvote 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

Last year I replaced my 6 GB GTX 780 with a GTX 980 Ti. The next day I got a refund on the 980 Ti. The difference wasn't worth the money at ALL. The only noticable difference was that I could use higher AA settings (with NI) but the improvement was only noticeable in clouds. My res is 1920x1080. I think you need to go to 4K to get something out of the money speed on the Ti. Some people in this topic say the switch was worth it but if you read carefully I think you can say it isn't 650 euro's worth it. For 650 euro I would personally expect something like a double fps improvement. ;)

If you only have a 1080p display, the jump probably isn't worth the money, especially if all you do gaming/simming wise is P3D.

If you have higher than 1080p or you enjoy other modern games, it's definitely worth the money, considering you can still get a good chunk of the money back by selling your old card on ebay. I went from a 780 Ti to a 980 Ti and the difference was huge in some games (2560x1440 display.)

• Upvote 1