Hi there,

I was wondering which controller would work best with x plane 10.45? Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

I have the X-52 Pro and never had any problems. I didn't know that they still made the non-Pro.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I didn't mind my x52 Pro... right up until it died (albeit aged a couple of years).  And then I replaced it with an x55, which I loved... up until it died (aged a couple of months, not so happy about that).

I switched gears a little bit, and thought on what I wanted from a stick.  Although I do fly a few things in my sim that make me miss a HOTAS setup, the one issue I always had with HOTAS sticks like the x52 and x55 was that they were generally unsuitable for flying small GA aircraft, especially when wanting to use something like the Saitek TPM unit, or a TQ on your right side. You just can't comfortably fly a big HOTAS stick with your left hand, while working controls with your right.

And so I picked up a Thrustmaster T.16000m. It has the ability to be configured as a right or a left hand stick, but it ALSO has the ability to take all of those bits off and run it as a bare stick that you can grab with either hand. I've found it absolutely ideal for GA aircraft, in all of the sims I fly.

And it's cheap.  Might be worth a look.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Yep, that sounds a lot more flexible, because although the 50 Pro is good, it is not flexible enough to switch hanks but it does have a bunch of neat buttons and dials and such the can configured in a nanosecond.

Regards.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Neither: Thrustmaster Warthog :P

Which is exactly what I'm going for on my next purchase of a HOTAS unit!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Although I do fly a few things in my sim that make me miss a HOTAS setup, the one issue I always had with HOTAS sticks like the x52 and x55 was that they were generally unsuitable for flying small GA aircraft, especially when wanting to use something like the Saitek TPM unit, or a TQ on your right side. You just can't comfortably fly a big HOTAS stick with your left hand, while working controls with your right.

If you want (or use) any of the HOTAS setups, you're committed to having the throttle on the left anyway so why would you want to operate controls with your right hand? If you change to a non-HOTAS joystick, just put the throttle on the left!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

If you want (or use) any of the HOTAS setups, you're committed to having the throttle on the left anyway so why would you want to operate controls with your right hand? If you change to a non-HOTAS joystick, just put the throttle on the left!

The point was that previously, I've only had HOTAS units as joysticks. While they are great for flying jets (near mandatory for some jets, like the VRS Superbug) or warbirds, they suck (in my opinion) for flying GA aircraft, such as the RA Legacy, or (my all time favorite) the DA20. I normally use right hand placed throttle / prop / mixture controls, such as the Saitek TPM for the RA Legacy, or a Saitek TQ for the DA20.

It'd be quite strange (for me) to put the throttle / prop / mixture controls on the left while flying those.  No offense to anyone who doesn't care, but I like to have the basic controls in roughly the same locations as they exist on the real aircraft. I also have a *lot* of hardware controllers.

So therefore, having a stick that can be used comfortably by either hand is a huge plus for quite a few different GA aircraft.

Depending on what the OP is interested in flying, the T16000m might be worthwhile advice.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The point was that previously, I've only had HOTAS units as joysticks. While they are great for flying jets (near mandatory for some jets, like the VRS Superbug) or warbirds, they suck (in my opinion) for flying GA aircraft, such as the RA Legacy, or (my all time favorite) the DA20. I normally use right hand placed throttle / prop / mixture controls, such as the Saitek TPM for the RA Legacy, or a Saitek TQ for the DA20.

It'd be quite strange (for me) to put the throttle / prop / mixture controls on the left while flying those.  No offense to anyone who doesn't care, but I like to have the basic controls in roughly the same locations as they exist on the real aircraft. I also have a *lot* of hardware controllers.

So therefore, having a stick that can be used comfortably by either hand is a huge plus for quite a few different GA aircraft.

Depending on what the OP is interested in flying, the T16000m might be worthwhile advice.

The problem with that reasoning, is you're going to have a separate setup for each type of aircraft...Then setting everything up for a simple flight becomes a hassle. What about the Cub or RealAir Scout that do have the throttle on the left? What if the ac you're flying has a push/pull throttle and you're using sliders? What about the SR22 that has a panel mounted stick rather than floor mounted (which makes a huge difference to the motion of the stick)?

For me, the combination of the X52 Pro for stick equiped ac's and the Saitek Yoke for those with yokes works fine and feels real enough. The X52 and Pro are very similar, but the Pro has better build quality. The throttle is very smooth (once you've opened it up and removed the rubber stop), and you can use the rotaries and sliders for mixture, prop etc. The problem with cheaper sticks is the range of travel and precision aren't as good.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

The problem with that reasoning, is you're going to have a separate setup for each type of aircraft...

There's no 'problem' involved with that whatsoever.  It's basically what I do.

What about the Cub or RealAir Scout that do have the throttle on the left?

If I want to fly a Cub (Such as the A2A Cub, for example) then I simply toss a single Saitek TQ on my left.  I have a couple that I use the stock clamps with for occasinal use & quick moving, and a couple that I have bolted to wood frames which have pre-drilled holes that I use with T-nuts in order for quick but solid knockdown & reassembly.

What if the ac you're flying has a push/pull throttle and you're using sliders?

By push/pull I'm assuming you mean vernier controls.  I use a Saitek TPM unit for those. It has a permanent home to my right. 

What about the SR22 that has a panel mounted stick rather than floor mounted (which makes a huge difference to the motion of the stick)?

I don't fly that aircraft, but I've considered this issue, and the possibility of building a hardware joystick to match.

---

When I said I have a 'lot' of equipment, I was serious. You mention a Saitek yoke; when my Saitek yoke died, I acquired and rebuilt an older PFC Cirrus II console unit. While I'm not a stickler for exact placement for the aircraft I'm flying, I typically do like the proper style of controls in roughly the proper place.

However, most aircraft I own can be flown with very few movements of equipment. For example, my current setup has me using a stick (mounted between my legs on my chair), with a Saitek switch panel straight in front, a Saitek TPM in front and right, and a Saitek TQ down and right beside my chair.  This lets me fly a very large variety of smaller GA, such as my fav DA-20, or the Lancair Legacy.

If I want to fly a warbird, then I toss a Saitek TQ (or two, depending on what I'm flying) to my left.

If I decide I want to change to yoke equipped aircraft, then I place the PFC Cirrus on my framework, plug it in, and unplug & remove the stick. (This is actually the biggest bit of effort that I ever have to do, takes all of a minute.) Then I'm equipped to fly most twins (my PFC console has a six lever throttle/prop/mixture unit), plus pretty much any smaller singles, since the TPM is still there.

Anyhow, not for everyone, but each to their own. :wink:  Works extremely well for me.

Back to the original discussion, I would add that the T.16000m that I was referring to is also equipped with hall effect sensors, and I've got to say, even after a few months of hard use, it's far more accurate than even my x55 was, much less my X52pro.  (Albeit, without the same functionality of a HOTAS.)

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.