Sign in to follow this  
unitedfan723

Is it worth it?

A year ago or so I had a computer built specifically to run FSX. I can't even imagine how many add-on airports/planes/scenery/misc items I bought in that time. Once I had all the stuff I wanted the sim just could not run smooth. Sure there were moments when everything was great but the majority of time when takeoff/landing at the nice payware airports it all went in the tank. Nothing I tried fixed anything. My computer I think is decent enough to run FSX it's a I7-4770 Oc'd at 4.4 I have 32 GB of RAM, a GTX Titan card. Now maybe there is something hardware related I overlooked. I thought maybe moving to P3D might give me better performance but I know very little about the platform. 

Would P3D give me better performance with my hardware? I realize I'd have to re-buy some add-ons and that's fine with me if I knew I could run them all and get good performance. This is the stuff I wanted to run each flight. A payware aircraft PMDG etc, ASN, FTX Global Vector whatever it's called now. REX TEXTURE Direct, REX Soft Clouds. And then I don't even know what AI traffic add-ons work with P3D. 

Is it possible to create a system that can have all those add-ons running and still get smooth performance in all phases of a flight or is that just not possible no matter how much I wanted to spend. 

P3D would make better use of your Titan

And you will have no issues with OOM's

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yes. Most of your addons will work. Since you are a airliner guy and you do not use ORBX you would have the experience you seek.  Do a search in this forum as there are plenty of answers to your question.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

There is a simple truism that any system, however fancy, can be brought to its knees if you add enough addons.

Maybe the simpler way to go, is to back off on your addon collection and systems settings..

Even better, start with default FSX and gradually add back your must-have addons, while watching for performance problems.

Even if you go to P3D, you will face the same trade-offs.

Bert

There is a simple truism that any system, however fancy, can be brought to its knees if you add enough addons.

Maybe the simpler way to go, is to back off on your addon collection and systems settings..

Even better, start with default FSX and gradually add back your must-have addons, while watching for performance problems.

Even if you go to P3D, you will face the same trade-offs.

See I had that idea at the beginning and did exactly that. I gradually added everything back but I never found a way to get what I thought was a reasonable amount of add-ons working at the same time. I then see people post videos on youtube with inferior systems than mine in some regards and they seem to get outstanding performance that I never came close to achieving. So I thought maybe P3D could help me experience what I wanted to see out of a flight sim.

You have a nice system now that should perform well with some fine-tuning.  Most people on here in some way or another are in the same boat as you and are trying to get everything working with their system as best as they can.  There is a lot of searching for the "magic bullet" to obtain perfection. 

There are many threads here that you need to just jump into and read about tricks and tips on everything from weather, traffic, monitor, frame limiter settings, .cfg file changes, Affinity Mask settings (this is a big one currently), video card settings.  Unfortunately, not all tips work the same for everybody and sometimes there doesn't even seem to be an explanation why.  I've spent a lot of time on here reading and received a lot of help from some very knowledgeable people.  I have finally gotten my system running very smoothly except in certain conditions, namely steep turns (mostly in urban areas) and very high scenery settings.  But, then again, I am not running some of the add-ons that others are.  It's still seems to be a trade-off no matter how powerful a system you have.  Also, be especially aware of cloud settings.  Dense clouds can be a problem on about everyone's rigs it seems.   Even some of the experts on here get bamboozled at times.  It's just a part of flight-simming life.

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

I have the same CPU i7-4770(k)4,6 and is running mostly 1 x GTX970 (sometimes 2 in SLI) and made som records from P3Dv3 you can look at here .

The only tweak is maximum performance in Nvidia Control Panel in these videos.

Michael Moe

• Upvote 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

The only tweak is maximum performance in Nvidia Control Panel in these videos.

What add-ons are you using? I also noticed you are using windowed mode is that supposed to increase FPS? 

So I am gonna go forth with at least upgrading a couple things on my computer. First thing is I need a new cooling system. Can anybody suggest a top of the line cooling system? I will also get another GFX card. Since I already have a Titan does it make sense to buy another Titan type card or is there a better card out there now? 

Also figure might as well get a new processor one that I would hope can get close to 5.0 GHZ when OC'd. Thank you in advance. 

See I had that idea at the beginning and did exactly that. I gradually added everything back but I never found a way to get what I thought was a reasonable amount of add-ons working at the same time.
If you already know these add-ons as must have, get a license from LM for P3D 3 then try it out with your add-ons.  LM gives you 90 days and will refund your money if it still does not work out.  The reality is that all configs /systems are different.  You have to know for yourself, no amount of information /video will be enough.
  • Upvote 1

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

What add-ons are you using? I also noticed you are using windowed mode is that supposed to increase FPS?

I have

FTX NCA

FTX SQL SAN CARLOS

FLIGHTBEAM KSFO

REX4

ASN

Not sure window mode is better but i use it because i have other monitors

Michael Moe

• Upvote 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png