Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

Tesla Model III

So we both pre-ordered new cars. I ordered a 2016 Lexus IS-350 (non-sport)  :smile:

Closest I'll ever be to using an autopilot system :) 

I've pre-ordered, anyone else in the same boat? Probably won't be here in Sydney until 2018...it will be a long wait.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/31/11335272/tesla-model-3-announced-price-release-date-specs-preorder

My son stood in line in Austin Texas for 4 hours to place his order. He went back to work and told Michael Dell they better look at a 400% increase in Electric Charging stations in their Round Rock Complex because he recognized about a hundred Dell badges while in the queue.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I don't want the car but I pre-ordered one just as a tax-subsidy-eligible flip opportunity. The full electric vehicle tax incentive of USD$7500 only applies to the first 200,000 vehicles sold here (and will probably be reached in 2018) so an early order was important. I suspect some 10-20% of the pre-orders here in the US were made for the same reason.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Ludicrous? Really?
http://puu.sh/o9CV1.jpg

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ludicrous? Really?

http://puu.sh/o9CV1.jpg

Yes really!

I have two family members that own the Model S.  The acceleration in that mode is indeed "Ludicrous"!

Todd

We added our name to the buy list ... think we're 284,112 (not kidding).

Ludicrous? Really?

For a luxury car the Tesla S P90D is 762 HP (eletric HP of course, but its the same as dino HP), it does indeed accelerate extremely well for such a heavy luxury car 4936 lbs and has a very good CG (much lower then traditional dino engine based cars).

My wife has a Nissan Leaf now (2016 with bigger 35Kw motor 124mi range) and zero to 60 is pretty quick ... it drives so well in daily traffic and overtaking is effortless and there is no noise.  We also got $2500 cash back from CA and another $7500 tax credit (real tax credit not some deductable, but a credit).  CA and Feds are starting to change the tax rules and credits making it more difficult because of the increase in electric vehicle usage, but we've driven over 6000 mi for free in just a few months.

Some of the false perceptions about electric cars:

1.  They're more complex - False they're actually much more simple, they don't require an oil system (pumps, sumps, coolers), they don't require alternators, there is no oil based aux power steering system, no spark plugs, no fuel injectors, no fuel system, simple cooling solutions etc. etc. ... there is so much more interior space because designers can put drive components in places they never could before.

2.  They're not as safe ... False, carrying around 10-40 gallons of gasoline is FAR more dangerous than many battery cells.

3.  They're slow ... False, electric motors can produce considerably more torque than dino motors and don't have "power bands" (i.e. no need to get rpms up to get power)

4.  Limited Range ... False, range is 100mi to 400mi (pending eV choice) and quick charge time is anywhere from 30min-60min and you'll find "free" charge stations all over the US

5.  Have to buy a charge Station for home ... False, most EVs will charge on standard outlets, However, if you want rapid charging then yes, you'll need to buy a home charge station for about $500 (I installed ours to 220-240v line).

6.  Your electric bills will increase ... Maybe, depends, our home is solar so the change isn't noticeable, one can also get special night time power rates from power companies if they let them know you charge an EV ... for those days that aren't sunny.  

We got our Nissan Leaf 2016 for $35,000, after dealer rebates ($5500), CA credit ($2500), and Fed credit ($7500) we got the car new for $19,500 fully loaded with Nav and all the comfort creatures of any modern dino car, we save about $300/mo in gas costs.

The future is here, and dino car days are numbered ... but even for die hards, it makes economical sense to go EV as it will save one a bunch of money that could be better spent on things like $1000 YOKO Yokes ... hehe  

Cheers, Rob.

Interesting read Rob! Thanks for sharing and I agree, dino car days are numbered.

JJ

How do you find out what number you are on the list. I think the pre-order has topped over 300,000 now. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Ludicrous is a pretty good word for the acceleration. Search youtube for the Tesla vs Aussie V8 Touring Car...

When I saw that "Ludicrous" it made me chuckle and think of "Space Balls"... :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This car can go to plaid!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I am curious. If 300,000 of these did replace an equivalent number of your average gasoline vehicles, what is the net effect on carbon production and energy production considering the increased demand on the electric grid for charging versus decreased vehicle fuel burn?