Sign in to follow this  
KORDATC

Will All Of These Components Work Together?

I know nothing about motherboards and don't know if the one I selected is good.

I don't think it's a good idea for the OP to opt for motherboard "X" just because someone said so. I don't think that's helpful. 

I would advise the OP to spend a week or so doing some proper research so that he can make an informed decision. The OP almost bought an AMD motherboard instead of an Intel board, so it's clear he lacks basic knowledge. If he knows nothing about motherboards he should learn a bit about motherboards.

Same for RAM, we have some advising one way, and others advising something else, with the OP chopping and changing. Not good!

After the OP has done more of his own research and is equipped with the minimum knowledge required, the following opinion might be considered...

Westman and Ryan are spot on. [in my opinion] GSkill Ripjaw V's are specifically designed for Skylake and use top quality Samsung modules. That isn't to say that other manufacturers haven't done the same, but GSkill are a particularly fine example and highly recommended. I have the RAM suggested by Westman. As usual Westman is spot on.

Don't just accept the above and change orders for parts! Research the suggestions and determine yourself if the opinions are valid or not!

For motherboards I too favour Asus. However, I wouldn't attempt to convince the OP to go for the same manufacturer or variant I went for. The OP should check out Asus, do some reserach, find out if Asus boards are reliable, capable etc. If he decides Asus is suitable for him, and the opinions of others were valid, he should  check out the specifications of the Asus boards, pick a board that fills his needs, and then by all means ask on this forum for opinions on that choice. But the initial choice should come from the OP's own research, not blindly adopting others choices.

When we simply adopt others choices, without some kind of background knowledge to back that up, we are likely to end up with a choice that in hindsight we wouldn't have made.

Hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but chopping and changing an order for parts "because someone else said so" is a bad idea in my experience.

I've also decided to change to a 1000W power supply after reading a little bit more online.  

Why 1000W? Do you require that much power? 

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I don't think it's a good idea for the OP to opt for motherboard "X" just because someone said so. I don't think that's helpful. 

I do agree with your statements but also do know a little something about building a computer and also agree with his 1000w PS choice 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/479006-why-i-havent-been-simming-latley/page-7?hl=havent

Rich Sennett

I do agree with your statements but also do know a little something about building a computer and also agree with his 1000w PS choice 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/479006-why-i-havent-been-simming-latley/page-7?hl=havent

Yes I know you know something about building a computer Richard, and I respect that, but it's not relevant I don't need to see a link to your latest build.  So do I, so does Westman, so does Ryan, and we advise differently to you. You say Corsair and we say GSkill.

So what is the OP to do? Guess? Pick one of our suggestions at random? Carry on switching components just because someone says so? Clearly not, the OP should have a reasonable understanding to begin with. 

And then, based on our "suggestions", he should research further and determine if out opinions are valid for him. 

Not everyone loves Asus, some wouldn't touch Asus, some dislike GSkill. Some favour EVGA for very valid reasons. This is something he should explore and decide for himself.  

and also agree with his 1000w PS choice 

Why?

He's not running SLI is he? Does he intend to? If not over the top.

And as Westman rightly advised, the OP should consider 2X8GB RAM, not four sticks. Asus boards handle 4 sticks better than they used to but I would still advise two if overclocking.

But again, the OP shouldn't take my word for it and just change his order, he should check for himself.

• Upvote 1

I appreciate all of the comments on this thread. They were all really helpful. I think I will continue researching and try to find what best fits my needs. When all is said and done, I'll comment with what I come up with.

Thanks,

Rob

• Upvote 1

I appreciate all of the comments on this thread. They were all really helpful. I think I will continue researching and try to find what best fits my needs. When all is said and done, I'll comment with what I come up with.

Thanks,

Rob

No problem Rob - good luck

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Hey guys just thought I'd let you know what I decided to go with.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k Skylake

GPU: ASUS ROG GTX Geforce 1080 Strix

SSD #1: Intel 750 400GB AIC SSD for Windows and photo files, etc.

SSD #2: Intel 750 800GB AIC SSD for P3D and addons

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3333

PSU: EVGA 1000W PSU

Case: NZXT H440 Steel Mid Tower Case

MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Z170

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z

Thanks for all the help! I learned a lot in my research.

That will be am awesome PC. Let us know how you get on with the super fast Intel 750. Is that the U.2 version?

I would have gone for GSkill Ripjaw V, as I mentioned earlier but there you go.

You don't need 1000 watts of course unless you intend to go SLI some time in the future. But at least it has the advantage of running well below max load and thus in a "somewhat" more efficient range. Although the graph is fairly flat between 10 and 90%. Not to mention future proofing, lower PSU fan speed etc. 

What did you do for cooling Robert?

• Upvote 1

They're the AIC version. I didn't order the cooling yet. Still researching what is best for the 6700k and what would fit best in my case. Any suggestions? My goal is to overclock CPU to 4.6-4.8ghz.

They're the AIC version. I didn't order the cooling yet. Still researching what is best for the 6700k and what would fit best in my case. Any suggestions? My goal is to overclock CPU to 4.6-4.8ghz.

"Liquid" cooler: Corsair H series...  example - http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h60-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

Note there are larger dual radiator versions like the 110i etc - more money of course

"Air" Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S.... example - http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s

Note this one is good, provides more clearance for RAM if the ones you selected have tall heat spreaders. (which yours do - another reason to go GSkill hehe)

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

After reading a little bit more about the different types of cooling available, I decided to go with the corsair H110i GTX.

After reading a little bit more about the different types of cooling available, I decided to go with the corsair H110i GTX.

Nice rig - well done 

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Nice cooler, I'm sure you will be very pleased with it.

The choice between AIO and air is a tricky one. For me, it's big air coolers. No pump to fail. No pump to become noisy, leaks impossible.

I went for the NH-D15S, as Ryan mentioned above.Fantastic cooler, quiet, cools great with non of the disadvantages of AIO water.

I wouldn't condemn anyone for choosing AIO though.

I get 680w with a PSU calculator  http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

Sounds about right. For single card use I usually end up around 750 or 850 watts. The price diference isn't that great, and you never know what the future my bring in terms of hardware.