Sign in to follow this  
Nick Dobda

Trim sound / trim wheel

My trim audio doesn't match up with me trimming the plane. This is minor, but still with how great everything else is with this plane, I'm wondering if my setup is causing the nuisance.

I use the saitek pro flight yoke and have the left up/down toggle tied to my trim wheel. Only on long runs of adjustments do I hear the trim sound loop. And its not a constant sound, it seems to be on a loop.. so if I would hold the trim button for a few seconds, I would get a trim sound... then silence... then trim sound... then silence. If I look at the trim wheel in the VC, the trim wheel does match my inputs, but the trim sound does not. 

More examples, on approach, I'll be making slight adjustments on the way down. There will be times where I'll hit the trim button for a quarter second or so, and not get any trim wheel sound at all.

Also, the trim wheel rotates slowly. I'm going to use the youtube defense here, so I could be wrong, but the trim wheels really get to spinning when the pilot is trimming the aircraft, it seems to rotate very slowly in the VC.

About to get more bizarre here as I try to explain the sounds I'm hearing. When I see the pilots trimming in youtube, you'll see the trim wheels churning and a constant buzz/hiss/ mechanical sound.

whiiiiiiiissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhh

In the PMDG VC, if I trim I get a slow rotation of the trim wheel and a

whish whish.....  whish whish.....           (pause)                         whish whish......     whish whish

does this make sense?

I'm going to use the youtube defense here

There's your problem.

Kyle Rodgers

Well, I don't want to be that guy... if I'm in the wrong and someone who actually sits in the seat says the sound and speed of the trim wheel in the sim is correct then I'll stand down.

But... this topic has been discussed before. I'm just seeing if it's been fixed, ignored, a limitation, or just reality.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/375744-trim-operation-and-sound/

Well, I don't want to be that guy... if I'm in the wrong and someone who actually sits in the seat says the sound and speed of the trim wheel in the sim is correct then I'll stand down.

We have a Tech Team that vets our aircraft before the aircraft goes to beta, comprised of pilots, mechanics, and other experienced people on that specific type. If this one snuck through, I have a feeling it was because it was close enough. I haven't heard any comments from the regulars in the forum here who fly the type, either.

But... this topic has been discussed before. I'm just seeing if it's been fixed, ignored, a limitation, or just reality.

http://www.avsim.com...tion-and-sound/

That topic is where the sound didn't exist due to sound card/settings issues.

Kyle Rodgers

Sorry, Kyle - wrong link.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/406403-trim-sound-delay/

Post 6 is of most interest, but the thread goes on after... albeit on a tangent of why one wants to hear that sound anyway. I am not using the sound for anything more then when I press a button I expect to hear a noise.

I am just asking ​because as you say nobody else has brought it up recently, and perhaps something isn't working on my end. Maybe I'm not hearing what I'm supposed to. Or maybe post 6 is right and its as close as one can get due to a limitation.

Either way I'm not saying I know more then PMDG or you guys got it wrong, I'm just gathering info.​

I went and made a crude recording of what I'm seeing.

The wheel moves when the button gets pressed, but there is a delay in the sound. And on a constant trim, I dont hear a constant sound.

And there are those two minor adjustments for which you hear no trim sound.

BTW, I started the engines and dropped the flaps and sure enough the trim wheel moves faster, and the sound matches up a bit better. That I didn't even realize it was doing since I'm only looking down there at the gate setting takeoff trim. Well done PMDG.

Vid here
https://youtu.be/_T1vXc-wNi8

I've noticed this as well, that I don't always hear a trim sound when I apply quick "clicks" of trim. This is a disparity; in the real aircraft, you naturally hear a sound every single time the trim is adjusted, no matter how briefly. It never bothered me, it's a pretty minor detail, but just wanted to say Nick isn't crazy ;-).

As far as trim speed though, I remember thinking it was pretty spot on. But the sound is a bit buggy for me too.

Andrew Crowley

At one point during development the trim wheel speed matched the real world plane more closely but there was some negative issue with it. The fix made the wheel spin a little slower. It's been a few years since development so I can't remember what the issue was.

In the real plane when you start trimming, the wheel is a little lurchy and uneven. If you trim for a longer period of time it smooths out. The sound in the sim matches the early stages or trimming pretty close.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Are you meaning the animated wheel spinning in the cockpit? I admit I've never noticed if that's similar or not, but the rate of change in trim index seems close.

That's a good way of describing the trim sound, and I agree you guys have done a great job modeling it. I just wanted to corroborate what Nick said, so he knew it wasn't just an issue unique to his install - I also have the disparity where the trim can run short distances with no sound at all, which never happens in the actual aircraft. Doesn't bother me though.

Andrew Crowley

This has been brought up here on the forums. Somebody from PMDG (I don't think it was you, Tom) said that it was a limitation of FSX/P3D. We have to live with it. It's a minor issue at least.

Thanks, 

Just wasn't sure if something was wrong or not. I found at least one inconsistency that was fixed (with suggestions from this forum) with a click or two and thought this might be one of them.