Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Process Lasso and Affinity Mask

How is the graph in the upper right hand corner of Process Lasso that represents all cores read?

Is it left to right or right to left, that is, are the two graphs on the left core 0 and 1, or 6 and 7?

Thanks,

Mark

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8KzWfFjsxGsWktZbkVGWnlkdTg/view?usp=sharing

Yes I read it as core 0 on left going thro' to core 7, ie for a 4 core with HT on. You need to highlight the Prepar3d app and then you will see the activity on the each core depending how/ if you have set an AM.

Bob

bob

How is the graph in the upper right hand corner of Process Lasso that represents all cores read?

Is it left to right or right to left, that is, are the two graphs on the left core 0 and 1, or 6 and 7?

Thanks,

Mark

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8KzWfFjsxGsWktZbkVGWnlkdTg/view?usp=sharing

Left to right is 0-7.

Followed TheBoom instructions my sim is running very smooth! I have Ezdox, GSX and ASN on cores 0 - 1 left virus software default cores (Avast) not sure what else to lasso.

Running sim at 120hz (default is 144) and half vsync and frames lock to 58 in NI I tried 30 but was not as smooth.

Glad it worked. Yeah 60 frames will always be smoother than 30 unless you lock in a refresh rate of 30hz. If you can get 60 fps or close to that most of the time then stick with 60 fps lock and 60hz refresh.

Yeah 60 frames will always be smoother than 30 unless you lock in a refresh rate of 30hz. If you can get 60 fps or close to that most of the time then stick with 60 fps lock and 60hz refresh.

Unless I misunderstand your point, this is not generally true. FPS by itself has no bearing on smoothness. I have systems perfectly smooth at 20fps and choppy at 30 and vice versa.

Now if you are relating to vsync or 1/2 refresh rate, etc - then you are correct.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If I lock my frames on 20 it's a complete slide show using nvidia 980ti 6700 Intel processor, maybe there is another step I am missing. Native monitor is 144 GSYNC monitor.

- Paul Cartier

Unless I misunderstand your point, this is not generally true. FPS by itself has no bearing on smoothness. I have systems perfectly smooth at 20fps and choppy at 30 and vice versa.Now if you are relating to vsync or 1/2 refresh rate, etc - then you are correct.Vic

I assume he is using vsync/gsync? If he's not then you're right my statement was invalid.

If I lock my frames on 20 it's a complete slide show using nvidia 980ti 6700 Intel processor, maybe there is another step I am missing. Native monitor is 144 GSYNC monitor.

You shouldn't need to be that low with your system.

Also you should be using an even multiple of 144 ie 24 or 29 or 36 etc.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hmm... even multiple, so lock the frames at either 24, 29 or 36 and this should give me better performance ?

- Paul Cartier

I don't know if this will benefit in an indirect way, but I usually set a whole lot of processes with PL to default Low priority instead of default Normal priority. 

Things like the print spooler, tray items like Nvidia Control Panel, Instant Messengers, text editors like NotePad/Wordpad, HP printer services and tools (i.e. crudware), Apple and Java and Google update agents, CoreTemp, RoxioBurnLauncher, etc.  You can go through your whole process list and find a lot of junk that can be lowered to just running at a lower priority and experience no ill effects.  I use to set them to Idle Priority... but now I have scads of cores, so I just set them to Low.   

But if there are things you don't want running when all your cores are pegged, like update agents, set them to Idle.  Its very rare any core ever has any Idle at all, so they will still run, but just be queried if they need time slices a lot less often...  when most of these things (like the print spooler) will answer back anyway... "no, I'm not doing anything at all at this moment, but thanks for asking". 

Why ask the sleeping printspooler 100 times a second at Normal Priority if it needs CPU cycles, when 5 times a second at Idle Priority would already be over kill...  while you deep inside your flight sim sensitive to frame rates.

Not really how priorities and scheduling works, but kind of a lay man's explanation...

Also, i make it a point on a new machine to disable a lot of Windows Services (type services.msc and set them to Manual)  that are on by default.  Things like Windows Search Indexer, SuperFetch, and Tablet Services, for example... on a desktop machine.  I disable or set to Manual a lot of other things, crud like the Windows software ipsec Firewall (i have a hardware Firewall), but be careful, you need to know what does what...  and is used by what else, or you'll be disabling some functionality you may actually use if you do some advanced IT type stuff.  There's a lot of stuff though, a lot of Home users, just do not need at all as services...  that are on by default...

Hmm... even multiple, so lock the frames at either 24, 29 or 36 and this should give me better performance ?

Well not better performance but at least there should be less screen tearing as you pan around.

As for smoother, you really just have to try them and see.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Thanks for all the useful info regarding Project Lasso - very helpful!

Are you guys running P3D with "classify as a game" ticked in the Lasso options?

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Hi Choppergirl,

What you are doing may have been appropriate when Windows XP was King but my understanding is that such measures are no longer relevant nowadays as background processes are handled very differently.

Using an Affinity Mask under [JOBSCHEDULER] for Prepar3D is all you need to ensure it runs pretty much unhindered by other Windows activity. Process Lasso will handle the rest automatically without the necessity for much, if any, user intervention.

It's easy to get carried away as PL offers so many options, but I believe the simple approach is optimal and far more efficient. Assigning low priority to a Process will peg it at this setting whether P3D is running or not. Far better when each Process is called to run in the foreground that it be allowed to run full steam (if felt desirable on an assigned Logical Processor/s unused by P3D) while PL 'Restrains' any Processes that might otherwise impede performance. On the whole it's best to let the Windows Jobscheduler do its work without undue interference.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for all the useful info regarding Project Lasso - very helpful!

Are you guys running P3D with "classify as a game" ticked in the Lasso options?

Yes doing so will change power options to the highest available. Unless like I've mentioned before you already run a high performance power plan 24/7.