Sign in to follow this  
Biggles2010

Win 10 - More MS Dirty Tricks

If you are trying to resist being pushed into a Win 10  upgrade, be aware that Microsoft are increasing the pressure to change. The upgrade is now reclassified as 'Recommended' so more people will find it downloaded automatically. And they've adopted a couple of new tricks.

The last round of 'Security' updates contained a cumulative update for Internet Explorer 11, numbered KB3139929. Microsoft have used this as a Trojan Horse to hide other non security updates.

These do not show up anywhere else, so cannot be deleted individually. They include  KB3146449 which 'Updates IE11 capabilities to upgrade Windows 8.1,8 and 7'    ( that is - allowing it to install Win 10)

I know a lot of people here will be using other browsers, but you may have decided to update IE 11 anyway, as I did. I then came across an item on another web site about the hidden update. On checking my pc, I cannot find any obvious changes yet, but I suspect this is creating some kind of back door to be exploited later.

A second trick  reported by some is that the Win 10 upgrade was added to the Optional Updates list, and already ticked, which was not previously done for Optional Updates. I have not seen this myself so cannot confirm it. Presumably it would have been done in the hope it would be installed without people realising.

Regardless of the benefits or otherwise of Win 10, if Microsoft are prepared to be so underhand about getting people to change, it's obviously not about the best interests of the users.

Jbee.

John B

Posted Today, 01:14 PM

Oh, the parnoia...!

Looks like you might work for Microsoft.

I recognise that Win 10 seems to be quite a good operating system, and is probably well suited to a lot of people, probably the bulk of computer users. However, believe it or not, some people like to make their own decisions about what software to load.

• Upvote 1

John B

Oh, the parnoia...!

Oh, the oblivious ignorance...!

• Upvote 1

Looks like you might work for Microsoft.

I recognise that Win 10 seems to be quite a good operating system, and is probably well suited to a lot of people, probably the bulk of computer users. However, believe it or not, some people like to make their own decisions about what software to load.

Yes, that's why I have everything on my system that is "automatic" disabled. But I find your comment about someone saying the contrary of what you thing as "working for microsoft" really funny (though not surprising considering your previous rant..)

Oh, the oblivious ignorance...!

Ha, yours is even funnier.. I've been using windows since you were jumping around your daddy's sack...

True ignorance is comments like yours...

• Upvote 1

Carlos,

You obviously feel you are far more knowledgeable about Windows than many of us here. Therefore my original post would have been completely irrelevant to you, and the sensible reaction would have been to move on to something else. However, if you disagreed with the content of the post, you had the option to say why, and give your different point of view. You chose instead to respond with a silly insult.

AVSIM is a great website for exchange of information, but it works best when people are constructive.

• Upvote 2

John B

If you don't want to see the 10 update, hide it. Unlike Windows 10 Home, updates cannot be forced on Vista, 7 or 10 Pro. Can we move on from the general Microsoft bashing? If MS was as sinister as is sometimes suggested, they would have gone the way of the Edsel long ago.

@John

A very salient post. Over here, one of our leading computer publications has a feature in this week's articles about the very things you mention. So, you cannot possibly be paranoid, rest assured.

silly insult

He's good at that. He did it with one of my posts too.

• Upvote 1

Carlos,

You obviously feel you are far more knowledgeable about Windows than many of us here. Therefore my original post would have been completely irrelevant to you, and the sensible reaction would have been to move on to something else. However, if you disagreed with the content of the post, you had the option to say why, and give your different point of view. You chose instead to respond with a silly insult.

AVSIM is a great website for exchange of information, but it works best when people are constructive.

That-s not the case at all, it was simply a jab/joke seeing such (unjustified) paranoia when I went to check out the post...

Which exactly was the "insult" I *responded* with again..?

@John

A very salient post. Over here, one of our leading computer publications has a feature in this week's articles about the very things you mention. So, you cannot possibly be paranoid, rest assured.

He's good at that. He did it with one of my posts too.

It's incredible how swell-headed people are that they thing someone is "after them and their secrets".... 

Newsflash:  you  (and me) and not particularly important for the gov to give a d about....

If you don't want to see the 10 update, hide it. Unlike Windows 10 Home, updates cannot be forced on Vista, 7 or 10 Pro. Can we move on from the general Microsoft bashing? If MS was as sinister as is sometimes suggested, they would have gone the way of the Edsel long ago.

+1 on this...

People prefer to repeat nonsense and paranoid comments (and videos) instead of (Godforbid) reading and informing themselves...

Because no content is ever injected over http without user permission, right?

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/verizon-x-uidh

Yeah, you're probably going to want to read the *whole* article next time, instead of just pasting a link after reading the title...  Then go back and read the last 3 words of my sentence that you quoted...

Regardless of the benefits or otherwise of Win 10, if Microsoft are prepared to be so underhand about getting people to change, it's obviously not about the best interests of the users.

Jbee.

I agree.  I actually purchased the full version of Windows 10 when I had my new large SSD installed, thinking that I would be getting the cleanest install of the operating system (rather than just upgrading).

Sorry mistake!

I had to take my computer back and have W10 removed and re-install Windows 7 Professional.

Why? Because Windows 10 cannot handle a large quantity of gaming controllers. It is actually made to just handle gaming controllers like the ones used with X-Box.

I tried to plug in all of my controllers, like my PFC yoke, throttle, JetMax throttle, Saitek X52 system, Saitek TBM, Saitek Elevator Trim Wheel, etc., and Windows 10 Professional just choked.

Here I found out that these controllers rely on a certain feedback from Windows 7 that Windows 10 does not have.

If you just have two or three controllers it will work, but any more and it will choke.

"Newsflash:  you  (and me) and not particularly important for the gov to give a d about...."

And I bet you still believe the government actually cares about you.  But this isn't about the government, it's about yet another of the large tech companies trying to monetize people just because they choose to use the Internet.  What on earth makes you think they can afford to give their operating system away?  They're business plan has shifted to align with companies like Google, Apple, etc. who sell info about anybody and everybody.  And like Google, MS is giving away free software (for a limited time)... but only because they want suckers like you thinking nothing sleazy is happening here.

The more important question for people like you... why aren't you upset about these crooks (the whole lot of them) making huge profits off you simply because you use the Internet?  Aren't you the least bit interested in some of the money they make off you?

Greg

"Newsflash:  you  (and me) and not particularly important for the gov to give a d about...." 

And I bet you still believe the government actually cares about you.  But this isn't about the government, it's about yet another of the large tech companies trying to monetize people just because they choose to use the Internet.  What on earth makes you think they can afford to give their operating system away?  They're business plan has shifted to align with companies like Google, Apple, etc. who sell info about anybody and everybody.  And like Google, MS is giving away free software (for a limited time)... but only because they want suckers like you thinking nothing sleazy is happening here.

The more important question for people like you... why aren't you upset about these crooks (the whole lot of them) making huge profits off you simply because you use the Internet?  Aren't you the least bit interested in some of the money they make off you?

Greg

So what exactly is it that you're losing again..?