Sign in to follow this  
jandjfrench

Flight tweaks?

So, increased vegetation_max_count from 4500 (default) to 9000 and got more trees showing at a time. Had to take screen shots to verify though. It didn't drop my frame rate noticeable amount and stayed smooth.

Cannot see the point of increasing the building_count though, it seems to be dense enough at least in some places at default...

-eelis-

Edited by eelis
  • Like 2

On 9/9/2018 at 2:33 PM, eelis said:

Thank you, I just increased lod_radius from 3.5 (default) to 5.5, and yes things appear more far away I think.

And it didn't hit my frame rate almost at all.

Now have to try something more, maybe  I experiment with vegetation_max_count next...(yes, I have made a backup copy of my Flight.cfg)

-eelis-

Out of interest, where is the MS Flight config file located? I cannot find it on my current install and the forum search has found nothing. I appreciate any help anyone can offer, thank you.

Edit: For anyone interested, I did a long search on my hard drive and I located Flight.cfg at this address:

C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Flight

Edited by jarsky

And as DBURNE said in his post:

"In the Flight.cfg file, look under configuration, there you will see a line that says " custom = 0".

You need to change that 0 to a 1 and save.

Then your changes you make in the flight.cfg file will stick, and graphics settings in the game gui will be greyed out.

I would also add, you should make a backup of the original cfg file to have just in case..."

-eelis-

Edited by eelis

I tried to increase tree density, just to see what would happen - they all disappeared! (With "custom=1", by the way.) Anyway, I will have to look into that but I cannot run at max settings - the fps drop is too substantial, being an old piece of software (2012) and 32-bit.

But for what it is worth, I did manage to capture this screenshot on arrival to Port Alsworth, flying up from Pedro Bay. This is my favorite short flight in Alaska because it is short, scenic and quite challenging getting into and out of these small airstrips in tougher weather.

4828109.jpg

I posted here because so little traffic seems to come this way. I am still genuinely saddened that Flight ended and was such a colossal mess - it was great 'out of the box' and it had great potential. It still looks visibly unfinished in parts (e.g., some limitations in cockpit functions, and some airstrips looking a little basic and bare), but it can still be fun for low 'n slow, VFR flying. The weather effects look real to me, and the physics/handling seem realistic too.

Anyway, I have some great memories from Hawai'i too, which I will post in due course. I guess what I am saying is I'm pleased to see some Flight enthusiasts are still around and active here.

• Like 2

So do you mean no trees at all, that's weird?

-eelis-

Edited by eelis

5 hours ago, eelis said:

So do you mean no trees at all, that's weird?

-eelis-

That's right, all trees were gone. I could not see them any more and my frame rate increased quite a lot too. Hmmm, obviously I did something wrong. Fortunately this was easy to reverse and good advice, I took a backup first.

I'll play around with it another time, but even with my Intel i7 4790K (4.4GHz base clock) I cannot achieve much better performance, and increasing visual settings quickly eats into fps. But like I said, it's old software and 32-bit, always a big limitation for simulation.

Have you ever flown from Pedro Bay to Port Alsworth? They're both very nice, but what I really need is some way to place objects here and there - any solutions, anyone? They're so bare! I wish we had some sort of basic SDK for placing objects, and importing satellite orthos and other objects.

Edited by jarsky

So, as you guessed it, had to try to increase the building count by doubling the values of following parameters:

ProceduralBuildingMaxCount=6000
ModelledBuildingMaxCount=6000
PolylineBuildingMaxCount=6000
VectorObjectMaxCount=6000

from the 3000 default.

The change was very modest, few buildings more here and there, only noticeable from comparing two screenshots taken at same spot, so don't know was it worth while.

As earlier, screen refresh rate was not noticiably touched.

-eelis-

Edited by eelis
  • Like 1

Sorry, know this is old now but for autogen you probably also want to play with these settings if you really want to get max:

LoadingDistance=23000.000000
MinimumOnscreenRadius=5.000000
FullDensityDistance=5000.000000
ZeroDensityDistance=20000.000000
DensityFalloffPower=4.000000

LoadingDistance controls when we load in the autogen placement data
MinimumOnscreenRadius is a size in pixels when we stop drawing autogen.  This can prevent small things in the distance from rendering, even if it is withing the visible distance
FullDensityDistance, anything below this distance should be at 100% density, but after this distnace it starts falling off to 0 at ZeroDensityDistance.  The rate it falls off is based on DensityFalloffPower

The *MaxCount values basically control what the maximum density is in a tile, which i think is 1km x 1km approximately.

A long time ago i had used those to basically render every tree and building on the bigisland, and perf was still reasonable on my gaming PC.  Since it uses hardware instancing, it should scale very well with your GPU.

• Like 1

Hi

Will try to adjust these values soon, one by one, trying to adjust them to right direction though...

'The *MaxCount values basically control what the maximum density is in a tile, which i think is 1km x 1km approximately.'

So now I know why increasing these values didn't make much change. (Doubling the VegetationMaxCount was the most effective.)

Thank you and nice to know you are still monitoring this forum!

-eelis-

Edited by eelis

Yeah, I believe the max count will also get limited by the size of the objects and the placements.  Each 1km x 1km tile has a certain number of building placements in it, so no matter how much you crank it up, it won't be able to put more buildings than the devs added to that tile.  Vegetation locations are specified using large boxes or polygons to designate an area, so the number of things placed is more variable, but at some point i think it will still be limited by the size of the vegetation so that they don't start intersecting.