Sign in to follow this  
jandjfrench

Flight tweaks?

Hi,

First my definition of a tweak: Any additional software, or manual editing of a file that results in an observable change in the operation of a program.

I formerly ran Game Booster 3 to prevent other tasks from running while I'm in Flight (I really don't want Java updating while I'm trying to evaluate a setting change).  I now use the Turbo mode of the freeware Advanced System Care, which does the same thing.  In fact I use it all the time as I want my CPU's full attention paid to Flight as well as a small amount of additional RAM being made available.

The only editing change I've made is setting the Cockpit zoom to 1.0 in the Camera.cfg, and it still appears to me that there is a slight wide angle effect.

I understand that it's hard to objectively evaluate the effect of many changes.  With that in mind, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone about what changes they've found to be beneficial and under what conditions.  Thanks.

Jim F. 

Flight is not FSX and generally doesn't require any tweaks to get the best perf, so I'm guessing not many people use anything.

That was one of the greatest, most endearing things about Flight.  No more endless tweaking to get it to run well. I'm sure there have been some that tried tweaking but to the best of my knowledge, we have generally been pleased with Flight out of the box.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

That was one of the greatest, most endearing things about Flight.  No more endless tweaking to get it to run well. I'm sure there have been some that tried tweaking but to the best of my knowledge, we have generally been pleased with Flight out of the box.

AGREED

Hi,

Well, I find myself in agreement with all of the replies.  When Flight was first released the only modification that I found helpful was "antilag" (d3d_antilag101) which added a couple of files to the root folder and did make Flight run smoother.  After a Flight update it no longer  made any difference.  I did use the Autohotkey pseudo full screen so that a FS Widgets GMAP program would enable viewing the flightpath  over terrain on a second monitor.  I recall that this was a bit more trouble than it was worth as the Flight sound was lost if any aspect of the map program was changed.

And as far as FSX and tweaks I found NOTHING of value in any of the so called tweaking bibles.  NOTHING.  I'm not talking about tailoring the system to the type of flying preferred but something that generally improves performance.  The only tweak that I personally found beneficial was increasing the "TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT" value in the in the Display section of FSX.cfg from the default 40.  I also ran FSX at High Priority which isn't exactly a tweak.  Of course there are many enhancements that FSX benefits from (AI Carriers, Autothumbnail, AP Chart etc.)

So I guess I'll just leave things alone unless I hear otherwise.  Thanks for the replies.

Jim F.

Flight is generally running rockstable with a decent performance, including with the flightool installed and using the converted world scenery. One key difference to FSX is that the performance of Flight is less dependent on raw CPU power, though you can only set some of the graphics options to maximum if you have enough memory, which you only get if you use a 64 bit Windows. Let's hope that some of those advantages will also be realised in the upcoming DTG Flight Sim. ;-)

If you want to fiddle with the Flight.cfg you can technically get the scenery settings much higher than the "Maximum" settings in the UI.

Sorry to dig out an old topic, but as I now have more powerful machine, I would like to know which settings would bring me more dense scenery, or scenery draw distance for example?

-eelis-

Edited by eelis

All I can add to the previous comments is to play with the settings as has been suggested. I don't think I ever made any changes except to density which I increased since my system handled it very well.

Good luck and enjoy.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

15 hours ago, 188AHC said:

All I can add to the previous comments is to play with the settings as has been suggested. I don't think I ever made any changes except to density which I increased since my system handled it very well.

Good luck and enjoy.

Would you care to share, how did you done that?

-eelis-

I don't have Flight installed anymore so I can't tell ;you exactly what I did. I did set my graphics option in the settings as high as it would go, however.  That's the most I can remember since I've dealt with other sims since.  There are some good hints above. but there is no need to "tweak" Flight like we've had to do with FSX. It runs very well out of the box.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

I agree you that it would not need tweaking, I just want to stretch it to the limits and go beyond the MAX settings and what it is possible to show, like scenery density. So not to run any smoother but to run little slower. 😉

I have to try some settings and hope for the best.

-eelis-

Edited by eelis

Can anybody tell what can or cannot be done to these settings to slow down (a bit) the simulation😉:

[Terrain]
UseLightMaps=False
MinQuadtreeLevel=3
LodRadius=3.500000
MeshComplexity=80
MeshResolution=22
ReflectionQuality=MAX
TextureResolution=27
DetailTexture=True
CliffTexture=True
[Airport]
LoadingDistance=23000.000000
[Scenery]
ImageComplexity=EXTREMELY_DENSE
[Autogen]
VegetationDensity=EXTREMELY_DENSE
ProceduralBuildingDensity=EXTREMELY_DENSE
ModelledBuildingDensity=EXTREMELY_DENSE
PolylineBuildingDensity=EXTREMELY_DENSE
VectorObjectDensity=EXTREMELY_DENSE
VegetationMaxCount=4500
ProceduralBuildingMaxCount=3000
ModelledBuildingMaxCount=3000
PolylineBuildingMaxCount=3000
VectorObjectMaxCount=3000
VegetationPolygonResolution=256
MinimumOnscreenRadius=5.000000
FullDensityDistance=5000.000000
ZeroDensityDistance=20000.000000
DensityFalloffPower=4.000000

-eelis-

Edited by eelis

Thank you, I just increased lod_radius from 3.5 (default) to 5.5, and yes things appear more far away I think.

And it didn't hit my frame rate almost at all.

Now have to try something more, maybe  I experiment with vegetation_max_count next...(yes, I have made a backup copy of my Flight.cfg)

-eelis-

Edited by eelis