Sign in to follow this  
alexzar14

throttles don't retard on landing, P3D

Can you be more specific and describe what "works fine" means? 

1. Are you leaving AT on during the flare?

2. When does AT switch off, altitude wise?

3. Do throttles go to idle at switch off? 

4. What is the setting of AT options in the simulation setting of the 737? Always, never, or retard and hold?

Doesn't matter the NGX throttles will never go to full idle but will remain at approach idle

Vernon Howells

Can you be more specific and describe what "works fine" means? 

1. Are you leaving AT on during the flare?

2. When does AT switch off, altitude wise?

3. Do throttles go to idle at switch off? 

4. What is the setting of AT options in the simulation setting of the 737? Always, never, or retard and hold? 

1. Yes, I let it cut off on landing

2. Seems to be at touchdown (haven't really looked at it to see exactly when. Busy landing the aircraft)

3. They go to idle somewhere between 30 and 20 AGL

4. I will have to check but i believe never

Next time I fly I will check these exact things and report back. Just know it works fine. Not trying to complicate. Just trying to add in case anyone says it doesn't work in P3D V3.2

Richie Walsh

1. Yes, I let it cut off on landing

2. Seems to be at touchdown (haven't really looked at it to see exactly when. Busy landing the aircraft)

3. They go to idle somewhere between 30 and 20 AGL

4. I will have to check but i believe never

Next time I fly I will check these exact things and report back. Just know it works fine. Not trying to complicate. Just trying to add in case anyone says it doesn't work in P3D V3.2

Well, I have 3.2, and the only thing that is different is I don't have never checked anymore. I think I will experiment with that and see how it behaves. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just done a test flight my autothrottles do close but remain at approach idle

Vernon Howells

Yes, the entire thread is about landing with AT - "on", AP - "off". You are approaching with APR mode active, disengaging the AP when already configured and the speed is at Vref, leaving the AP "on", steering the plane but the thrust is managed all the way down.  A dozen feet above ground the thrust retards, but the AT is still on. Only after touch down the AT disengages.

The first reply by Scandinavian suggests the AT should retard if the airplane is configured, where is he by the way? We need someone from the team.

With 777, the AT is always on, you never even touch it and it retards. iFly 747 also retarded and so did the LDS 767 in FSX.

FSX however is done, the NGX lives inside P3D like a fish in the water, but the throttle retardation problem is spoiling the otherwise terrific experience. Needs to be addressed.

We need someone from the team.

Support.Precisionmanuals.com for anything that needs direct team attention.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

I got the expansion and flew a 700 on a 500mi flight, it retarded.

Did this installation fix the problem? Don't know, will fly 800 sometime in the week and find out...

I've done extensive testing on this throttle issue last couple of days and here is what I have found:

1. Using the show throttle position in the sim menu, has stopped the surge in power I was getting when the AT was manually disconnected during or right before flare.  What I was doing previously  was setting throttle to full when taking off using TOGA and leaving it there, so that when I switched off AT, it went to full throttle and caused the 737 to fly over the runway instead of descending and landing. Now when I am on final approach, I adjust throttle so that it is in sync with the power from the AT, so clicking the AT off results in no power change at all and the aircraft continues it's descent to the runway. 

2. The AT, if left on during landing , does switch  off automatically but it seems to happen right at touchdown, not some feet above touchdown.

3. The idle when power is pulled all the way back, is not ground idle but approach idle, but that is probably programmed into the EEC because the next thing that has to happen is that the engines have to spool back up again when reversers are deployed.  MIght be too much lag if it went to ground idle and then had to spool up. 

Anyway, the issue that I was having apparently with too much power at flare  is solved by using the show throttle position setting. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have tested this too and.....(did not know about this feature, always turned both in the past)

Leaving A/T on and joystick throttle down to idle and set the app speed on MCP. Leaving AP on.

The only thing I switched off was the steering, keys can be set in FMC key setup. Simulates the button on flight yoke in a real 737, have to press 2 times. First is off next silence alarm.

During flare the the engines was reduced to idle by AP seconds before I heard the 20 call. And after a while on the runway A/T was switched off.

So to me it seems like it is working as it should.

Using FSX on Win7 Professional 64-bit

Per W Sweden

Correct PerVel, this is what it should do.

Bobsk8, it must retard throttle to idle first, then disengage AT after touch down.

On Tuesday I flew a SAS -800, it retarded as it should. Nice flight with plenty good scenery available for the region and the plane flew with a surgery doctor's precision )) But I'm still not sure the problem is gone, time and more flying will show. Now I am into Majestic Dash 8 with the new P3Dv3 patch they released, so the NGX is temporarily in the hangar.

As a side note, you should be bugging Vref+5, not Vref for approaches with A/T on at touchdown.

Matt Cee

As a side note, you should be bugging Vref+5, not Vref for approaches with A/T on at touchdown.

Plus adding some speed factoring in steady wind  and wind gusts. 

Plus adding some speed factoring in steady wind  and wind gusts. 

Incorrect. That's for manual speed control. Boeing states that the AT is quick enough at reacting to wind changes that +05 is fine in all cases where AT is on.

Kyle Rodgers

In the sim, with pmdg ngx the +5 will result in a nose-down approach (ok I exaggerated but very little). I don't approach and land with a crazy nose up attitude that I see on youtube, but setting the speed to Vref helps me approach with nose being couple degrees up. Wrong, but what can I do I am not a thick-bearded pilot that many of you are )))

But there are many things I was taught on forums including this one.