Sign in to follow this  
Guest Philip Olson

Is there anyone out there still using Windows 98SE?

Guest Robin MacLaurin

Hi; Just a question to your readers. I'm still using Windows 98SE and have just retired FS2k2 and installed FS9, I've had to reinstall it once cause something ate all of the dll files (weird) I've just downloaded aircraft,some scenery files and RWY 12 Object Placer 1.2 program. My question is anyone else using Windows 98SE? Robin

Hi Robin,I use 98SE. I have not used 2K2 in well over 2 years. Erased it right after I got FS9. I have downloaded many airplanes and scenery but not RWY12 or object placer. I have had no major problems. I get 10 to 30 fps depending upon the plane and location (city or rural).PIII800, 384PC133 SDRAM, FX5600XT 256, PCI512 sound blaster sound card,Win 98SE, 61.76 vid drivers, 40G 7200rpm HDHow can I help?Earl

Guest glnflwrs

I still use 98SE on both of my machines. No problems, great performance in FS9.Glenn'Maintain thy airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.'

Most addons should work fine with 98SE but some require Win2k or even XP (e.g. Dreamfleet A36 and B58, Megascenery etc.). As for me, I retired 98SE about five years ago :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Our company retired the last W98 workstation 2 months ago, we're now all XP Pro.At home I use only XP and Windows 95 (plus a small Linux server).

I still have Win 98se on my system--my system is quite old and I didn't see the sense of wasting time on an XP install when I plan on replacing it. Most add-ons work fine, although some newer aircraft add-ons have gauges coded that will only work under XP. FS2004 performance is quite good and quite smooth, and I am surprised I can average mid 20's fps by simply keeping AI and cloud layers at a minimum. Win98 has always been stable for me (lockups under any circumstance are unknown), but I've spent a portion of my life providing workstation support and that helped give me the common sense to avoid the types of issues that cause Win98 to become unstable. Having said all that, I use XP in the office and look forward to replacing 98--I just like the "look & feel" of XP a bit more.-John

Guest Philip Olson

Not too long ago I went on a service call to fix a guys computer and when I got there he was playing FS5 on a Windows 95 machine! Now that was a blast from the past! I asked him why he had not upgraded and he told me that he had, the computer I was to fix was his Win XP FS9 machine. He has a computer for every version of FS scattered throughout his house and he still uses every one. He told me that he enjoyed each version so much that he could not stand to get rid of one, so he jumps between versions and enjoys them all. I almost felt as if I were in some sort of holy ground while in his house as he showed me his collection. If I only had the time for that! I know this is really not in keeping with the topic but it is interesting none the less.Take care,Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg