Sign in to follow this  
Jessica Bannister-Pearce

Interesting observation. Win 10 may be overestimating CPU usage.

Thought I'd post this as a 'hmmmm, interesting' note.

I'm currently flying with my home cockpit setup, with the main sim running on Windows 10 pro 64 bit. I'd prefer to run Windows 7 here, but for some reason the cockpit suite of software I use doesn't like win 7. ( the author and I figure it has something to do with the way multithreading works with win 7 that was screwing up)

Anyway. I did a test flight today and found that input director wasn't win 10 compatible when it overloaded the PC, leaving the CPU stuck at 100%. So I removed that and tried 'mouse without borders' from Microsoft. It works pretty well, albeit with a drop in Fps if you move the mouse to a networked system.

I thought I'd check my CPU usage using task manager and was surprised to find my CPU running at almost full pelt. It settled around the 85% mark, and that's fine. Thinking I'd check the temps, I loaded up realtemp 3.70 and found the temps to be fine, all below 70°. Interestingly though, it read my CPU usage at just 65% on average. I compared the two next to each other, and sure enough, task manager is around 20% points above real temp. Anyone else seeing this kind of behaviour?

Jess B

Been following your build in the latest PC Pilot.

Hats off to you, Jessica,  for a tremendous project you have undertaken. Looking forward to the final write-up.

Jessica, I liked the 12 soldering jobs you have to do on those switches. I noticed Cyrillic writing in the panels. Obtained from Russia?

Let's be honest Jessica, nobody really relies on Task Manager for accurate readings on anything related to the CPU. I recommend you download Process Explorer from Microsoft TechNet. It's much more robust and accurate.

Task Manager still claims that my i5-2500k is running at 5.8GHz, even though it's overclocked to 4.4GHz.

True, but win 7 has never shown this problem. I'll chalk it up to MS screwing something up somewhere.

Jessica, I liked the 12 soldering jobs you have to do on those switches. I noticed Cyrillic writing in the panels. Obtained from Russia?

Actually no. The panel came from Hispanels in Spain. The acrylic backer had all sorts on it. Anyway I wasn't happy with the look so I've replaced it with my own ECAM panel. Hopefully it should be ready for the next edition of the mag. (Around may/June issue)