Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

Loving X-Plane

There's nothing better than flying real world flights,

Just posted this in the screenshots forum  :smile:

X-Plane at it's best

http://www.avsim.com/topic/486436-abd-666-cyul-cyyz/#entry3400278

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Me as well. 

I used X-Plane 8 and 9 some years ago and while I "wanted" to like, I just couldn't. Too many little issues and annoyances.

Today X-Plane 10 is becoming a real and serious "threat" to FSX/P3D. :)

Nice pictures by the way!

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I didn't know about this sim until very recently. Completely new to me...  :rolleyes:

Well, after a long hiatus - X-Plane 10 has the longest period in my uninstall cycles, but whenever I re-install it it is the only one that has that feel of a New sim, either because some updates made it really better or some add-on brought me new hopes ( like the Airfoillabs C172 just did, as well as a very nice and cheap Bf 109 G2 I got from the .Org... ) - I re-installed XpX last week and have been in a rush getting in touch with it again...

It's a flight simulator with lot's of potential. Austin just needs, IMO, to dedicate a bit more of his time, again, to the core of the FDM, implementing new features and ironing out some long time irritating bugs, but, this means it is STILL under development, something that unfortunately, flight dynamics wise, we can't say about MSFS, P3D or even DTG...

I strongly recommend for any user coming from MSFS, the best helicopter add-ons. There is a section at the .Org listing them, some payware, some even freeware. Helicopters are certainly a good reason to use X-plane 10 specially if you have a good mavchine and lot's of disk and want to invest in gorgeous World2XP and Photoscenery. Flying low over X-Plane's scenery areas is UNIQUE!

Well, welcome :-)  Don't be an uninstaller... It's awful....

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I strongly recommend for any user coming from MSFS, the best helicopter add-ons. There is a section at the .Org listing them, some payware, some even freeware. Helicopters are certainly a good reason to use X-plane 10 specially if you have a good mavchine and lot's of disk and want to invest in gorgeous World2XP and Photoscenery. Flying low over X-Plane's scenery areas is UNIQUE!

Yep, helicopters are half the reason I don't fly any other civilian sim than X-Plane. For me it started with the brilliant BK-117 payware model, which I think was the first X-Plane helicopter with more advanced systems modeling that came out a few years ago. Since then, there have been several great payware helos released. Lately I've been loving the X-Trident Bell 412. There are a few good free models in the .org library, but I think you have to go payware if you're into things like force trim release, great engine/rotor and startup sounds, detailed modeling of the rotor head, and so on.

The other thing that keeps me flying X-Plane is the smooth frame rates and feeling of bouyancy in the air. It just feels subjectively more like flying in light planes and helicopters in the real world than anything else short of maybe a few of the DCS combat models. I'm not a pilot but I spent many years as a commercial aerial photographer before I retired. It's been probably 20 years since I last hired a light Cessna or Jet Ranger for a job, but X-Plane gets me the closest to what I remember.

All it needs now, from my perspective (admittedly with zero interest in ATC or tubeliners), is a future version with seasonal terrain and more advanced weather. And VR support too, although the hardware demands for the frame rates we need might take a while. As a sim that's still under slow... but steady... development, I'm sure we'll get there eventually.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Yep, helicopters are half the reason I don't fly any other civilian sim than X-Plane. For me it started with the brilliant BK-117 payware model, which I think was the first X-Plane helicopter with more advanced systems modeling that came out a few years ago. Since then, there have been several great payware helos released. Lately I've been loving the X-Trident Bell 412. There are a few good free models in the .org library, but I think you have to go payware if you're into things like force trim release, great engine/rotor and startup sounds, detailed modeling of the rotor head, and so on.

The other thing that keeps me flying X-Plane is the smooth frame rates and feeling of bouyancy in the air. It just feels subjectively more like flying in light planes and helicopters in the real world than anything else short of maybe a few of the DCS combat models. I'm not a pilot but I spent many years as a commercial aerial photographer before I retired. It's been probably 20 years since I last hired a light Cessna or Jet Ranger for a job, but X-Plane gets me the closest to what I remember.

All it needs now, from my perspective (admittedly with zero interest in ATC or tubeliners), is a future version with seasonal terrain and more advanced weather. And VR support too, although the hardware demands for the frame rates we need might take a while. As a sim that's still under slow... but steady... development, I'm sure we'll get there eventually.

Hmm,

I have been wondering about helicopters. I was hesitant just because they were a disaster in FSX !

How difficult would it be with an X-55 Rhino HOTAS? The Bell 407 comes on sale from time to time 

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

How difficult would it be with an X-55 Rhino HOTAS? The Bell 407 comes on sale from time to time 

That should be okay for cyclic and collective, but do you also have rudder pedals? I think they're a basic requirement to fly a helicopter sim without getting frustrated. The more realistic helo models are hard enough to learn even with pedals, but without them you're really going to have trouble. They're also just fun to use, and worthwhile for fixed wing flying too.

I use the Saitek Pro Combat pedals and they work pretty well. You can spend a small fortune on better pedals if you get into it. The drawback with generic/inexpensive pedals designed for fixed wing flying is that they usually have a center "detent" and you really want free motion for the tail rotor. But the Saitek pedal detent isn't too bad. 

Helicopter sims also benefit from a joystick with an extension for the handle, more like the real thing. That makes the cyclic less "twitchy." But again, you can probably do okay with a standard joystick like that X-55 and some practice. You'll probably never fly as smoothly as a real helicopter pilot can with a standard short-stick joystick, but it's not too bad. I use a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and I manage okay.... although I'm still a bit rough on pinpoint landings in small spaces like oil rig platforms. My landing zones in a helicopter are what you might call "approximate," with the main goal being not to bend metal.   :smile:

If you really want to go full-size (and I've been tempted but just don't have the space for it), there are things like the Pro Flight Trainer controls:

http://www.pro-flight-trainer.com/en/

The X-55 is too stiff even with the lightest spring.

When I had mine, to fly helos I used to simply remove the spring.

X-Plane models many, if not all, well known rotary wing flight dynamics effects, such simple as retreating blade stall / disimmetry of lift, to comples as vortex ring state / settling with power, transverse flow effect / translating tendency, translational lift, induced flow rpm, loss of tail rotor effectiveness and tail wind effects on the horizontal stab.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

The X-55 is too stiff even with the lightest spring.

When I had mine, to fly helos I used to simply remove the spring.

Thanks for that info about the X-55 spring.

In my post above, I completely forgot to mention that I did a mainspring-ectomy on my Thrustmaster Warthog joystick (details on a YouTube site somewhere). This removes the default heavy tension but leaves a very small centering action in the middle. It's not enough to right the stick if I flop it over on the side, so it still feels pretty loose.

I originally did that to make flying combat sims and space games easier, but it also helps when using it as a cyclic. The stock mainspring on the Warthog stick is probably too heavy for most folks to do any precision helicopter flying.

Fully agree with this - I simply love flying helicopters in XP. 

You mention sounds; this is one of the reasons why my favorite is the Dreamfoil R22. The sounds are wonderful.

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I have a tough time with helos in XP - especially if I'm on pilot edge trying to manage the radios - whew! The BK17 is one of the most stable but the Dreamfoil AS350 is the most sensitive helo I've ever flown in a sim.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

XPlane Choppers are  =@  =@ THE BOMB =@  =@ 

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

I have a tough time with helos in XP - especially if I'm on pilot edge trying to manage the radios - whew! The BK17 is one of the most stable but the Dreamfoil AS350 is the most sensitive helo I've ever flown in a sim.

I always use the AS350 in Arcade mode, which feels the most realistic given the hardware I own to control it, not really the ideal for helicopters...

Main Simulation Rig:

The Dreamfoil AS350 is getting an update very soon :smile:

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Ah! That's great News !

Any link ?

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig: