Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Shimmer Problem Solved!!!!

I would recommend that anyone with shimmering problems take a peek at the following post on this site.I thought this subject might have died out before anyone saw Anthony's contribution toward the bottom of the replies, and was worth a new post by itself."ATI Shimmer" by cseidelReply numbers 79 and 83"fox450" on Oct. 7A great big thankyou to Anthony.In my ignorance I did not realize that "{197E6108-6DA7-408C-9239-D4FD85D664A9}" was system specific and that my text would read differently. In the event that anyone else overlooks the obvious, Open all "0000" entries one by one until you find what Anthony is talking about.I increased my MipMap Quality setting to 8 and still see no shimmering. Water quality was retained with none of the strange modification the DLL entries produced. Frame rates were not drastically affected so far for me.Good luck:RTH

Guest cliffie1931

RTH I'd appreciate your help.I've just changed to the "nvidia Ge Force FX 5500" and am having bad shimmer problems with the scenery.I gather that the investigation you've made doesn't include cards made by nvidia but I wondering if you've come across advice for how to deal with this card?Cliff

can you tell me what your graphics card settings are? specifically, texture and mipmap high quality to high performance. And AA, AF, whether you use quality or performance adaptive aa, texture LOD setting, etc. I'm still trying to figure out why I get wavy textures

I just wanted to say that this method doesn't change a thing on my system. I am still getting shimmering if I boost MipMap to more than 4, and I still have non-AA textures on the aircraft, very noticable if there are some straight lines on the AC.

Guest dandan2005

What is this shimmering you speak of?? :-hmmm

Hello Cliff:I fear that I may be of little help. My intentions in my post were to draw attention to the post by Anthony in the event that it would help others as much as it helped me. If Anthony sees this post, possibly he may have some input. You might want to make a reply to his original to which I refer.I have an ATI Radeon 9800 128MB card, and it is quite possible that the improved results may be system specific. I do not know if this or some other similar editing would help with nvidia cards. For that matter, judging from Word Not Allowed's reply, it apparently may be specific to only certain ATI cards too as it did not work on his system, and he has a much later and improved ATI card than I. Perhaps someone else with more technical savvy than I can contribute some advice on this issue.Word Not Allowed: If I understand correctly, you have a much later card than I by ATI. Sorry to hear that the editing had no good results for you. There were numerous other replies from those who were helped by these modifications, but it sounds like it may work only on our older cards.Alex: For what it is worth, my card settings are as follows, set with the CCC. Anti-Aliasing: 6XI do not have Temporial anti-aliasing or Adaptive anti-aliasing checked.Anisotropic Filtering: 16XMipmap Detail Level: QualitySmartshader Effects: NoneCatalyst A.I. StandardDirect 3D Settings: Support DXT texture formats checked onlyI typically run my primary and secondary monitor at 1280x960x32 @ 85HZ. With panels that are a bit fuzzy, I increase this to 1600x1200 on the primary. I run my third monitor at1024x768 x 32. Everything is maxed out except clouds and range. I do have shadows and reflections turned off at least some of the time as these have the worst effect on my frame rates. Into high density airports with bad weather and demanding birds, I sometimes turn scenery density and AI aircraft down as well at least on approach until I am on the ground.In all honesty, it made no difference what my settings were until I tried Anthony's edit. I still had the shimmering unless I turned MipMapping all the way down in the FS9 options. Reduced to anything below 4, and I loose all taxi signs among a number of other things that I want to see. I presently run it at 4 as I really see little difference in anything above that. For whatever it is worth, my components are added below.Dan:What we mean by shimmering is that many objects have a flicker ortwinkle effect as an aircraft moves, particularly when taxiing or at low altitudes. Trees are a real culprit. If you have to ask, it sounds like you don't have this problem, so just grin at the rest of us. On my system at least (and many others according to posts), the edits in Anthony's post to which I referred just about does away with this problem. I am as much of a doubter as anybody else on most of the life-saving tweaks that show up, but was unbelievably pleased and surprised by this one. It really improved my display. Rarely there are some terminal objects in isolated locations that still shimmer, but by far in large, it is a 99.9% improvement doing away with just about all shimmering.Sorry I could not be of more help guys.Respectfully:RTHP4C800 Deluxe MotherboardPentium 4, 3.2G CPU1G PC3200/400 MemoryWinXP ProDirectX9.0cATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MBSecondary Graphics Diamond Stealth III S540 PCI 21

Guest cliffie1931

When you're on the Flight Deck the control panel looks normal. However if you look at the scenery through the windscreen the ground, buildings and trees shimmer as if looking at a reflection in still water that moves when a ripple of winds crosses it's surface.Cliff

Guest aarskringspier

>I just wanted to say that this method doesn't change a thing>on my system. I am still getting shimmering if I boost MipMap>to more than 4, and I still have non-AA textures on the>aircraft, very noticable if there are some straight lines on>the AC. Yeah thats the worst thing I can not stand having those non-aliased textures. Your plane looks awesome only to have horrific jaggies on your paint scheme.

Guest JIMJAM

Ive given up on trying to get that perfect look. Ive been chasing thay elusive holy grail for so long it turned into an obsession that consumed all my time I could have spent flying.Im convinced that its just a over the hill graphics engine that we are trying to get Corvette performance out of a VW motor.My best freind owns a computer store that builds custom rigs and I get to throw together some mighty machines. None however have been able to push FS9 any further although the gains on newer games are impressive.This weekend we installed a 7800gtx 512 meg card. Retails over $700 and Im getting all kinds of visual wierdness. Looks worse than the 6800gt I had running 6 months ago.Until microsoft upgrades the engine to todays standards and take advantage of the latest greatest, IMO we are just chasing our tails.But we will keep trying..............

Guest aarskringspier

Yeah the textures are hosed for the current drivers for the 7800 Im using 78.03 availiable on www.nzone.com which Ryan pointed me too much better.

Guest fox450

Hi guys, just to reply, i'm very honoured to be referred to. However, i have to agree, about chasing the holy grail. Those tweaks will work for some and for some wont. Some like super sharp textures, and boosting your vid card to that level will produce shimmering. Personally, i have abandoned that, cause in the end, when flying in real-life, you don't get super sharp view down below, and there is almost never an "UNlimited" view, as to where you can see the horizon, only when you go up to higher levels, you see the true circular earth horizon, but even then the atmosphere blocks your view somewhat. No, personally, i have an X800XT Platinum, my fps slider locked at 25 fps, but 20 is maybe more sensible (rebel in me), AA at 4 and AF at 8, but mipmap level at 4 ingame... and that's just that. I use weathermaker for real or random weather (imo most realistic weather scapes). Keep in mind that, when enabling that tweak in the registry, that the option was there for the x1000 series for ATI within the CCC, and besides, it is there in the new 5.11 by default, but grayed out if you have anything other the new x1000 series.Anyway, thanks Rhodges, and btw, how are you?greetings,Anthony

Hello Anthony:Good to hear from you.Doing fine and enjoying some of the good free and payware stuff that has become available in relatively recent days. As some have said, the choices are out distanting my time and pocket book now days. My wish list just keeps on growing and growing as I try to periodically purchase in some kind of systematic way.I do agree that "we are chasing the holy grail", but is it not one step at a time as a work in progress. Look how far we have come from what we had a relatively short time ago. Mesh, Terrain, Textures, Sceneries, Utilities, Planes and Panels along with goodness knows what that I have overlooked or probably don't even know about. Why, even for some of us we don't twinkle like a Christmas tree any more thanks to your contribution.I make no claim to being a computer whiz (or any other kind either). I certainly have open ears to the contrary, However, it seems to me that the hardware upgrades that offer a significant improvement have slowed down a bit and are lagging somewhat behind the software now days. I realize that to some extent this has always been the case, but seems to me the gap is growing. Note my components in my previous post, most of which are well over two years old now (gee, I think that's over three or four, how time flies). Even so, I am not aware that there is anything available that will blow this configuration out of the water (make that air). I have ASSUMED that there is still nothing out there yet that would be a drastic improvement, and am still waiting for the next break through that takes us to the next level of performance. (Sure would like for some of you to tell me how wrong I am).Happy flyingRTH

Guest fox450

Hi rhodges,Yeah, all is going well, i too am enjoying the newly released add-ons, but also working flat out on something. I know that with most state of the art systems, FS9 does nothing with the extra instruction sets, moreover it reacts proportionally to raw-power - that is cpu power. My system now is a amd 64 3700+ and a X800XT PE but i only get 2 - 3 fps more than a 3000+ with radeon 9800 Pro. Whereas 3DMARK05, which DOES call upon those extra features build in the vid-card processor, runs very smoothly. I am pretty sure fs10 will run about the same as fs9, but with those extra eye-candys running at "25"..Have fun,Anthony