Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

New windows 10 beta is bad

Well after getting latest windows 10 build thought it was an update not a new whole operating system (14295) - P3D is unusable controllers do not work anymore  

Thought a new install of p3d would work - nope  

Did a new install of this crap version of windows 10 - nope still no controllers in P3D

So one of these program are not working together - thinking its p3d as windows sees controllers but not p3d

Any thoughts would be appreciated - 8 hours of wasted time

Looks like I am out of the simming business for some time to come - always something 

Rich Sennett

Thanks for the warning Rich,

Microsoft wants me to update all the time, but I'm gladly staying with Win 7 for the time being.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the warning Rich,

Microsoft wants me to update all the time, but I'm gladly staying with Win 7 for the time being.

Welcome been thru many updates but this one takes the cake - weird part is windows sees controllers but P3D does not - bad timing as they both came out close to each other - no idea what to do cant go back to win7 now been to long and not spending another ton of money on windows 7 again

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

I must confess I am not the biggest fan of incremental software upgrades. Part of the reason why I have so far stayed away from P3D – seems like with every new version, addons require an update, too.

Never change a running system, they say... and that is Win7+FSX for me right now.

• Upvote 1

Hope this gets sorted out - I know there was xbox controller issues and they were going to fix it whit this latest build but guess what they messed up a real controller - weirdos - read this after they pushed this new build - not good

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Yep...my decision to stay with W7 Ultimate...was a "Luke...sense the Force...and let it guide you...".

Hope it gets sorted out really quickly, Rich.  Total bummer to read for you...

Mitch

Yep...my decision to stay with W7 Ultimate...was a "Luke...sense the Force...and let it guide you...".

Hope it gets sorted out really quickly, Rich.  Total bummer to read for you...

Mitch

Thanks Mitch to do it over I would have stayed with win 7 this is crazy - they are making an OS for phones and a dead xbox controller gaming - what a joke - what scares me is you may not have a choice in the future to stay with win 7 - enjoy it while you still can

Rich Sennett

Rich,

If you are on build 14295, you are clearly on the Win10 Insiders program. Microsoft made it very clear not to run the Insider program on "your everyday computer."

Download and install the preview only if you

• Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.

• Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.

• Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.

• Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.

• Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.

I am also on the Insider program but certainly not on my P3DV3.2 computer.  You could try to go back to an earlier build from: Settings/Update & Security/Recovery/Go back to an earlier build, to see if you can recover your controller function.

Good luck.

Lyn

EDIT: I have had no issues at all with the non-insider updates on any of my other computers running Win10 64. P3D is only on my desktop computer.

• Upvote 4

Rich,

If you are on build 14295, you are clearly on the Win10 Insiders program. Microsoft made it very clear not to run the Insider program on "your everyday computer."

Download and install the preview only if you

Thanks Lyn but didnt know it was a beta install thought it was security updates etc.

Cant do a restore as windows.old I trashed it

Do you know where I can get the last working OS before this beta that i can download - cant remember the build number

Rich Sennett

Rich, you should have the option I presented in my other post to go back to an earlier build. That option should be present as you must be on the Insider program. My other computers that are not part of the Insiders Program do not have the option to revert to an earlier build.

Hopefully that would work for you. Let me know.

Lyn

Another option I just noticed is from "View your update history" gives the options to "Uninstall updates" or "Uninstall latest preview build". I would uninstall build 14295 as it seems that the previous build was working for you.

Hope it works!

Rich, you should have the option I presented in my other post to go back to an earlier build. That option should be present as you must be on the Insider program. My other computers that are not part of the Insiders Program do not have the option to revert to an earlier build.

Hopefully that would work for you. Let me know.

Lyn

Another option I just noticed is from "View your update history" gives the options to "Uninstall updates" or "Uninstall latest preview build". I would uninstall build 14295 as it seems that the previous build was working for you.

Hope it works!

I dont have that option as stated - this is a formatted hard drive with this latest beta build on it there is nothing to go back to 

Was this the last working version 1511 ?

Rich Sennett

OK, now I,m confused! Did you get the 14295 build through the Insiders program that downloaded it to your system or did you go out to Microsoft and install it as a clean install?

On my desktop, entering "winver" (without the quotation marks) in the search box, I am running: "Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.164)". So build 10586 is the correct version, as you stated. I'm not sure just where to pick up that build but could try here from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

I would hope that this will preserve your programs and settings plus your "Free" update but I really am not at all sure if this is the case - sorry. If you already have an ISO file for this build it would be worth a shot to try to run it and see what your options are.

This is far more complicated that I first thought as the Insiders program does give other options to revert back.

Good luck, Rich

OK, now I,m confused! Did you get the 14295 build through the Insiders program that downloaded it to your system or did you go out to Microsoft and install it as a clean install?

On my desktop, entering "winver" (without the quotation marks) in the search box, I am running: "Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.164)". So build 10586 is the correct version, as you stated. I'm not sure just where to pick up that build but could try here from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

I would hope that this will preserve your programs and settings plus your "Free" update but I really am not at all sure if this is the case - sorry. If you already have an ISO file for this build it would be worth a shot to try to run it and see what your options are.

This is far more complicated that I first thought as the Insiders program does give other options to revert back.

Good luck, Rich

You are spot on well said - downloading iso now - cant continue the way it is - would be a waste of time - i always learn my lessons the hard way - thank you keep you posted

Rich Sennett

i am one of the few probably that bought windows 10 pro, i only use a local account with almost everything in windows 10 turned off,in richards case the only thing he can do is install windows 7 and upgrade back to windows 10

Was this the last working version 1511 ?

Same Build as mine, Rich, and current.