Sign in to follow this  
strider1

Virtual Reality Flight Yoke !

Not me, but wow - $1500+  I know cars are "less" 3D than aircraft, but my £100 force feedback microsoft steering wheel from 16 years ago gave me great feedback compared to the real world - kicking back over bumps, going light when it should, reacting to fishtailing like it should....

The yoke "only" has another axis to contend with... 

Has technology really progressed enough to warrant a price tag 15 times higher? (notwithstanding dollar to sterling differences).

Not hating, just making an observation. Force feedback is cool when it works.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Yes I really think tech has!

Your wheel should be compared to something like a saitek yoke. I had one of those ms wheels too and it was great back then but ultimately a high quality toy and nothing compared to the high end all metal sim wheels available now.

The modern equivalent of the ms wheel is close to £200. That yoke is £1000 so it is more like 5x the cost instead of 15.

Also think about smooth control loading. Rotationally it is easy, you just need a motor to drive the wheel. A yoke has to do it laterally which is much harder and then it has to move the rotational feedback in and out with it. There is so much more to it than just adding an axis.

The correct comparison for that yoke should be one of the thousand dollar wheels that are out there anyway as it is a high end product even without the feedback and the tech used in iris yokes is fairly unique.

Chris

• Upvote 1

I may go since im in Tampa FL now ... but for that much i can build a nice rig instead ...

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I have the predecessor to this, the only comparable product is the Brunner yoke...other than that there isn't really any consumer FFB yoke available. You can see a comparison vid of the original Iris yoke against the brunner on YouTube.

The dragonfly is much more refined and looks a bit more reliable than the kickstarter versions out there but I hear some people in the UK got dragonfly versions instead. Keep in mind the iris still only uses it's actuator on the pitch axis, the roll is still a motor and gear setup.

The next step up from these are commercial products for $7k-$15k US.

• Upvote 1

I have the new dragonfly yoke. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I do believe they got rid of the gearing. The roll motor is now mounted direct to the shaft.

Craig

Not me, but wow - $1500+  I know cars are "less" 3D than aircraft, but my £100 force feedback microsoft steering wheel from 16 years ago gave me great feedback compared to the real world - kicking back over bumps, going light when it should, reacting to fishtailing like it should....

The yoke "only" has another axis to contend with... 

Has technology really progressed enough to warrant a price tag 15 times higher? (notwithstanding dollar to sterling differences).

Not hating, just making an observation. Force feedback is cool when it works.

7- 8 hundred would be more palatable ! + it needs a throttle quadrant.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I can hear the noise on youtube, same as mine on Mark's video when you roll it with no force applied. They show the actuator on the new webpage and it def. has a roll motor. Not saying that's bad or good. If they made the magnetic actuator on roll axis the yoke would be 3x as wide as it is now..I can feel a tiny bit of cogging but when you are focused on shooting an approach you really don't notice it. We did get it at a diff price point so I won't comment on that. Keep in mind there are people out there with over 100k into a simpit. Yes it's not for everyone but if you wan't a semi-realistic feeling then you're spending the dough for it..

Edit : afaik the brunner is about the same price so maybee import taxes and shipping will factor in to which you choose if you're in NA or EU...

I have the new dragonfly yoke. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I do believe they got rid of the gearing. The roll motor is now mounted direct to the shaft.

Craig

How do you like it ? I am guessing the yolk is designed for cockpit builders ? I don't see any throttle quadrants.

Eric Escobar

I also forgot to mention the haptic feedback on the Iris totally blows anything else out of the water but it really comes down to what FFB system is in use and how well it is implemented in your selected sim aircraft...I've felt effects you will not get from some cheap sidewinder etc. It's hard to describe without doing it a disservice. For FSX and P3D you really need FSForce and the yoke plugin to get the most out of it.

• Upvote 1

I haven't had too much time to play with it yet. I did test it out in the Majestic Q400, and was pleasantly surprised. Trimming the aircraft has taken on a whole new feeling. Also, it was sooo nice being able to flare properly, versus my worn out saitek. In my opinion, light years ahead of any joystick, at any price point.

It doesn't come with a quadrant, but there is a wide range of uses for a basic yoke, from Cessna's 152, to Boeing's 747. A quad is a very different animal that comes in a wide range of styles for the wide range of aircraft. The question for the developer is which one to bank on? A motorized quad does cut down on the possibilities, but still, too many to make profitable and, at the same time, affordable.

Craig

Anybody using this on Xplane ? And I am guessing you need a plugin for haptic feedback ?

I haven't had too much time to play with it yet. I did test it out in the Majestic Q400, and was pleasantly surprised. Trimming the aircraft has taken on a whole new feeling. Also, it was sooo nice being able to flare properly, versus my worn out saitek. In my opinion, light years ahead of any joystick, at any price point.

It doesn't come with a quadrant, but there is a wide range of uses for a basic yoke, from Cessna's 152, to Boeing's 747. A quad is a very different animal that comes in a wide range of styles for the wide range of aircraft. The question for the developer is which one to bank on? A motorized quad does cut down on the possibilities, but still, too many to make profitable and, at the same time, affordable.

Craig

Are you using the 3d cockpit quadrants ?

Eric Escobar

For the Q400, I have a pair of saitek quads setup, for the gust lock, power, condition, and flap levers. I have no need to look at the quad in the cockpit.

There are people using this in XPX, and yes, it does require a plugin for both XPX and FSX. It does work without a plugin, but only for trimming. Wind effects, and taxiway rumble, etc, do not work without it, unless the aircraft in question, supports these things. AP following is another issue altogether.

Craig

I, for one, am enjoying the "feedback" from this thread ;)  I realise there'd be more to it than adding one more axis - thanks for the explanations. Sorry to the OP if this seems like a thread hijack!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)