Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

New to X-Plane - Help!

Hi,

I decided to try xp-10 out and bought the global version. I am also an fsx user.  My first impression is that the Cessna 172 flies well but the scenery is boring and lousy.  I decided to shop around but the only scenery addons I found seem to be ones that have to be installed by the user manually.  I'm used to buying a nice, dependable package such as FTX Global and using its installer.

Are there any worldwide scenery packages that will improve the default scenery like FTX?

I'd rather spend my time flying than studying how to install manual scenery and risking messing it up. I'm not too tech oriented. Thanks.  Tom

Hi,

I decided to try xp-10 out and bought the global version. I am also an fsx user.  My first impression is that the Cessna 172 flies well but the scenery is boring and lousy.  I decided to shop around but the only scenery addons I found seem to be ones that have to be installed by the user manually.  I'm used to buying a nice, dependable package such as FTX Global and using its installer.

Are there any worldwide scenery packages that will improve the default scenery like FTX?

I'd rather spend my time flying than studying how to install manual scenery and risking messing it up. I'm not too tech oriented. Thanks.  Tom

Hi Tom,

X-Plane world is divided in tiles....the base is mesh and then you put scenery on top.

You can download the default mesh/scenery tiles when you install X-Plane, or you can use a much higher definition Mesh (it is free) from here:

http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-mesh-scenery-v3/

If you wish to have more accurate scenery, then you can try Tony's wonderful world2xplane packages (again free) here:

http://world2xplane.com/

or go to SimHeaven and download the world2xplane packs ready to use:

http://simheaven.com/?page_id=3260

Be aware though....they can take a bit a hit in your system.....but because it is a 64 bit sim, the more system RAM you have, the better you will be.

And as for ease of install....most if not all scenery packages only require "copy and paste"....to uninstall simply delete the folder....you can even move your entire X-Plane install to another folder just by copy/paste...really easy.

If you have any further queries, the community is very active, please do reach out.

Hello Tom,

Scenery for X-plane normally does not need an installer (unless it has copyright protection).  Installation is much easier than in FSX, since all you have to do is unzip the file and copy it into you X-plane\custom scenery directory.  Makes no difference if its pay ware or freeware. It all goes there.

The best part of this (aside from being really easy) is you can remove any scenery you don't want or need just as easy (just delete it from the custom scenery directory. nothing gets added to your registry and you can easily move the whole thing to another drive if you want without any problems. 

Rob

Hi Tom,

I am using XP only for a week so far, so I did some research.

If you have some technical/computer skills try to set up Ortho4XP. It is a great tool, but manual and GUI are little bit confusing. There is a great video tutorial how to set it up on Youtube by user Eliot (Elias?) or smth like that. When I am back home, I would paste here a link.

Ortho4XP creates very detailed, photorealistic scenery from OSM. Results depends on the quality of data, the best that I got so far was for Czech Republic (Praha).

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

I donated a few dollars to the G2XPL project last week and have created some great photo scenery with it so far. It's great to be able to create some nice scenery yourself at high resolution for just the places you want to fly in in or out of.

Here are some screenshots I made after running G2XPL on LOWI using IS_zoom_level=19

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

That's the beauty of x-plane... a small investment in research and time to set up free (or donation ware) tools for XP10 vs spending a small fortune $$ for ready-made solutions for FSX/P3D. I'll take the former. It looks great to me.