Sign in to follow this  
oldngray635

Documentation Question for newbie

I have been away from Flight Simming for quite a number of years and obviously need a lot of help, my advanced age is a hindrance as well as a lack of familiarity with the products involved. Recently purchased P3d v3 and got it installed on my iMac in bootcamp. Works fine. No Microsoft FS installed.

Purchased the PMDG 737NGX (basic & add-on) but have not yet installed it because I wanted to read some of the documentation before taking the plunge and getting it installed incorrectly.

The Introduction document that came with the download from PMDG has a lot of information about installing in FSX, what to be aware of, recommending not to use the default location for files, etc., but thus far I have not been able to find any guidance of a similar nature as to an installation in P3D. Have searched the forum, particularly in the "installation" section and have failed to find specifics in this regard. I did locate a very informative post by "Poppet" on linking which led me to believe it may be best to install PMDG products in their own folder rather than in "Programs x86".

Questions: 

1. Are such specifics somewhere on the forum and I have failed to locate them?

2. Do the same suggestions recommended for an FSX install apply to P3D?

3. Am I being overly concerned about these details?

Thanks

Don MacDonald

The Introduction document that came with the download from PMDG has a lot of information about installing in FSX

Which version of the NGX did you buy?

Yes.

3. Am I being overly concerned about these details?

Not entirely, but it does help.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks-

Bought the P3D version along with the add-on (had  to type "yes" for verification).

If I understand this correctly, I should heed the "Optimal Installation of FSX; Running as Administrator; FSX.cfg settings; In-Game settings; FSUIPC; Known FSX'isms to AVOID" etc., to apply to P3D as well as FSX.

The Introduction pdf reads on page 23 "The PMDG 737NGX comes with six documents:

Introduction (You are reading it now!)

PMDG 737NGX Tutorial #1

PMDG 737NGX Tutorial #2

PMDG 737NGX Flight Crew Training Manual

PMDG 737NGX Flight Crew Operations Manual Vol. 1.

PMDG 737NGX Flight Crew Operations Manual Vol. 2.

PMDG 737NGX Quick Reference Handbook

My download only included the first 3 of these documents. From where can I download the remainder?

Thanks again for the help.

Don MacDonald

Bought the P3D version along with the add-on (had  to type "yes" for verification).

Only asked because I could've sworn we updated the Intro for P3D...hmm.

If I understand this correctly, I should heed the "Optimal Installation of FSX; Running as Administrator; FSX.cfg settings; In-Game settings; FSUIPC; Known FSX'isms to AVOID" etc., to apply to P3D as well as FSX.

Everything but the fsx.cfg stuff.

My download only included the first 3 of these documents. From where can I download the remainder?

They're all there. Only a couple are in the Start Menu folder, though. You can open the rest from the Operations Center.

That or:

[sim folder] > PMDG > 737NGX > Documentation

Kyle Rodgers

They're all there. Only a couple are in the Start Menu folder, though. You can open the rest from the Operations Center.

I am very favorably impressed with the prompt replies. Thank you very much.

You'll be able to verify my "newbieness" by the fact that I have no idea what you mean by the "Operations Center". Just went to the PMDG web site and searched for that term. Didn't find a link.

I have not yet installed the 737NGX.

Don MacDonald

I am very favorably impressed with the prompt replies. Thank you very much.

Welcome.

You'll be able to verify my "newbieness" by the fact that I have no idea what you mean by the "Operations Center". Just went to the PMDG web site and searched for that term. Didn't find a link.

Also gets installed when you install the aircraft.

Start > All Programs > PMDG Simulations > Operations Center

I have not yet installed the 737NGX.

This is likely why there are discrepancies. The documents available for public download are the (old) FSX Intro Manual, and the tutorials. The FCTM and FCOMs only get installed when you purchase the product from us and install it.

Kyle Rodgers

This is likely why there are discrepancies. The documents available for public download are the (old) FSX Intro Manual, and the tutorials. The FCTM and FCOMs only get installed when you purchase the product from us and install it.

Ah!!! The lights in my head go on!!! Thanks. I'll begin that process now.

Don MacDonald