Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

phantom shadows on airplanes

Hello all!

Im currently flying the pmdg 777-200 from atlanta to tokyo. Im at 32000 ft and cruising along nicely. There are no clouds above me but an overcast layer below me at around 5000 feet or so. The Sim time is about 330pm eastern time.

Heres my issue. I pan around in locked spot plane and when i pan to the side of the airplane where the sun isnt hitting it, the plane gets a huge shadow casted on it. The whole airplane goes into a shadow as if it were flying under a huge cloud. When i pan back to the sunlit side, the whole airplane is lit up and the shadow is removed.

In the wingview views, the same thing happens

If im looking at the wing away frol the sun, the wing is all lit up and it looks great. However, if I look at the wing on the side of the airplane being hit by the sun, it's in a shadow. The funny thing is that if I turn my camera a certain direction which is from left wing to right wing, at a certain point the shadow instantly goes away.

Is there any way to fix this or is this a sim'ism?

Edited by ahsmatt7

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I see this all the time. I don't think there's any fix.

ahhh ok that sucks.

Thanks fkr the reply!

Matt kubanda

I've encountered this, but its not something that happens all the time. I've also seen odd rouge cloud shadows, or what look like cloud shadows, that follow the AC and turn with the camera. Again its not always there, so its hard to make a formal bug report, and so far I've not seen the latter in V3.2.

From what I've noticed, those shadows that appear to follow the camera when you pan around are shadows from cirrus clouds. You only see them when cirrus clouds are there anyway. I think it would be better if cirrus clouds could be disabled from casting shadows at all as they look bad.

But yes, I also confirm Matthew's observations about weird lightening and darkening of the aircraft as you pan around it.

Stuart Furley

Ill try and post in the lockheed forums to see if i csn make them aware of the shadow panning issue.

Matt kubanda

I confirm, same bug here, it's really annoying. I tried to get a few screenshots but it should really be recorded, has anyone tried? I don't have the tools for this.

EDIT: done, I've reported the bug here with a video: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=118074

Tom Ross

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Yep its been this way for quite a long time. Several versions going back to 2.xx. Just another of those things you have to grin and bear. I can easily overlook it considering everything that does work.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Yep its been this way for quite a long time. Several versions going back to 2.xx. Just another of those things you have to grin and bear. I can easily overlook it considering everything that does work.

you're right. Just gotta look past it. Like you said, considering all the stuff that has been fixed and added, its a non issue.

Matt kubanda