Sign in to follow this  

$20 flight stick vs. a $1000 Yoko Yoke

As some of you know my Saitek Cessna Pro Yoke died a week or so ago and I was in the market for a new Yoke.  I decided to go with Virtual Fly's Yoko Yoke (located in Barcelona Spain).  Shipping from Spain to US (California) was exceptionally fast via FedEx - 3 days.  Customer service was also exceptional with rapid email responses.

Here is my experience:

Arrival/Install/Setup (sorry for video sizing, not used to working with my iPhone for video so messed up the sequence settings).

Flight in A2A's T-6 Texan using my older $20 temp Flight stick vs. the $1000 Yoko Yoke.

I'll be buying their throttle quadrant when available in May and will do a semi-review/video.

Cheers, Rob.

Very nice. I have a question Rob. Does the yoke has potentiometers or are they hall sensors?

Does the yoke has potentiometers or are they hall sensors?

Potentiometers.  Comes with software that allows you to define "sensitivity" settings for Aileron and Elevator so you can dial in the "feel" to whatever aircraft you're flying.  Note: you should still keep you FSX/P3D settings at their max sensitivity range.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob, that $20 flight stick landing, was that also with 20 beers? :Party: Nice videos....will definitely consider that yoke......how do you find the absence of switches when compared to the Saitek?

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Hi Rob

I also replaced my sub-100$ joystick a few yeras ago, but with a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, and I could not imagine flying a bird like a T6 with a yoke. This HOTAS set is just perfect for those WWII trainers and fighters (Including the T6 which I also enjoy a lot.

Felix

Not much of a drinker, maybe that's my problem -- should have slammed down a few brews before attempting to use my cheap flight stick :)

No issues with absence of a hat switch but that because I have a hat switch on my cheap flight stick and a 24+ GoFlight modules.

But in defense of my flight stick ... it's primary use was as a Tiller for the Q400.  HERE is the $20 flight stick I used ... although it is listed at $40, I got it from Fry's electronics on sale $20 (actually $19.99).

But speaking of better quality flight sticks like the Thrustmaster HOTAS ... I've had my eye on this one ... might need to trim base plate to fit my flight deck and replace my $20 unit ... how is HOTAS?

Cheers, Rob.

I'll be buying their throttle quadrant we available in May and will do a semi-review/video.

Hi Rob I went to their website when you first mentioned the throttles...but I can't see anywhere to place an order for them?

Nice setup by the way

But speaking of better quality flight sticks like the Thrustmaster HOTAS ... I've had my eye on this one ... might need to trim base plate to fit my flight deck and replace my $20 unit ... how is HOTAS?

No need to trim the plate.....Just remove the bottom plate and undermount it to threaded holes in the base cylinder.   I have mine setup like that in a centermount configuration. 

Thanks Brett, good to know ... assume this is for the GoFlight deck?  I only have two slots available and it looks like the HOTAS would take 3 slots, hence my desire to "trim" the base plate IF possible.

Giancarlo,

Use their contact page on their web site and get into touch with their rep ... the throttles aren't "official" yet but they do have an order list.

Cheers, Rob.

Sorry Rob,

Wasn't thinking about the Go Flight Deck in particular.  The base plate is 9.1" wide x 10.7" long.  The cyliner base is 4" diameter which fits well with two GF slots.  Trimming the plate would work or perhaps go with a custom plate with a little more substance to span the two open spots.  Hope the additional information helps

Thanks Brett ... I'll make it work once I get the HOTAS.

Giancarlo,

I got the ok to post YOKO rep's email here: dpujol@virtual-fly.com - contact direct.

Cheers, Rob.

G'day Rob,

Nice vid.

Interesting to see these guys are using bungee cords also.

My PFC SAAB was spring but caused issues so I converted it to bungees myself & it's been much better. Was getting an annoying click from one of the spring mounts that I couldn't fix. Elevator is still spring & has never caused an issue.

My Saitek throttles are starting to spike after quite a number of years so I am interested to see what the throttles are like from these guys.

Am off to Europe/UK for holidays in July/August so won't be looking for anything till I get back. At this stage expect to be going down the PFC route. Depending on how much we spend while on our trip :-)

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

That is pretty incredible.....the Yoko Yoke certainly took away the challenge of landing.  Do you have any idea how much the TQ6 will cost?  I also wonder if they will have a different pots that is used for example in the GoFlight version where the throttle stick can appear loose in the slot.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

STOP IT you lot! I feel a madness coming over me! I....must....have...a...Yoko...yoke... :fool:

Since getting a Thrustmaster Warthog, ordinary kit just ain't the same. Mother, send more money. This is an emergency!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Do you have any idea how much the TQ6 will cost?

About 10-15% less than the YOKO yoke ... so somewhere around 700 Euro ($800 US).

STOP IT you lot! I feel a madness coming over me!

Got some flak over that video ... I think folks took it a little too seriously ... I should have known better, will avoid such compares in the future.

But speaking of the Thrustmaster HOTAS - can anyone give me base dimensions and how much clearance I would have (before hitting something critical) if I were to trim the base to fit my GoFlight deck?  I'm planning to replace my "speedlink" flight stick since I obviously lack the skills it requires :)

Cheers, Rob.