Sign in to follow this  

$20 flight stick vs. a $1000 Yoko Yoke

Crap!  And I just bought 3 Yokos based on that video.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

About 10-15% less than the YOKO yoke ... so somewhere around 700 Euro ($800 US).

Thanks Rob, can't wait to see a you review of it.  I would love to upgrade my current CH kit with a new yoke, quad and pedals.  The pedals I am thinking of are these from MFG Crosswind.

http://mfg.simundza.com/products

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

But speaking of the Thrustmaster HOTAS - can anyone give me base dimensions and how much clearance I would have (before hitting something critical) if I were to trim the base to fit my GoFlight deck?  I'm planning to replace my "speedlink" flight stick since I obviously lack the skills it requires :)

The base plate is 9.1" x 10.7" and is purely there for mounting.  There is no electronics associated with the base plate.  The cylinder that houses the gimble/ball and electronics is 4" in diameter.  The plate is mounted to the cylinder on the underside with 3 screws and is easily removed and attached to another plate.  So basically, you could trim it all the way to the cylinder if you wanted to.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brett

Here's a link to some pics of the VF quads from their facebook page. And here's a couple more.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Rob, that comparison video was hilarious. That stick must be on its last legs. I hope it wasn't that bad when it was new.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

So basically, you could trim it all the way to the cylinder if you wanted to

Excellent, just what I needed to know, thank you!

Crap!  And I just bought 3 Yokos based on that video.

Only 3?  Hope you got a discount!   :smile:

Rob, that comparison video was hilarious.

Yeah I think some folks perhaps took it a little too seriously, my apologies to those I may have offended.

Cheers, Rob.

I was on the fence regarding the Yoko yoke, until I watched the videos!  Oh well, here's another $1,000 saying bye bye!  Ordering one tonight!

Rob, you mentioned that you were shocked to see bungee cords instead of springs.  It is interesting to note that the newer PFC desktop yokes also have bungee cords instead of springs.  I considered the PFC yoke (I have their digital throttle quadrant and it's great), but the limited pitch travel as compared with the Yoko kept me from purchasing the PFC yoke.  Ultimately, I would like to try one of the Brunner CLS Economy Force Feedback Yokes, but at 1790 Euros, it's a bit pricey.  For now, the Yoko (at a little less than half the cost of the Brunner) will work just fine.

Cheers,

Gerald

I WISH I could afford 3 of them.....with or without a discount.  LOL

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

It is interesting to note that the newer PFC desktop yokes also have bungee cords instead of springs.

Interesting, Virtual-Fly rep suggested a design decision to have the bungee approach over spring approach ... guessing they tried springs but didn't work as well?

Just a side note on how to get the best out of the YOKO yoke:

1.  Load freeware or payware FSUIPC

2.  Disable all Axes assignments specific to the YOKO yoke in P3D

3.  Run the YOKO "control panel" (this is where you can adjust elevator and aileron sensitivity values) program BEFORE starting P3D

4.  Start P3D

FSUIPC is NOT required to use the YOKO, it will work with default axes assignments via your FS platform of choice.  However, if you want to utilize the adjustable sensitivity (which is NOT the same as in P3D sensitivity settings) via the Virtual-Fly control panel, then FSUIPC is required.  NOTE: you do NOT need to set anything in FSUIPC ... it just uses the WideClient aspect of it.

I think you'll enjoy this YOKO yoke Gerald.

Jeff, you tease.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

If you don't mind would you please post the dimensions of the box that sits on the desk.  It is a little unclear form the Virtual-Fly website how big it is.  I am just looking at my current CH Yoke and trying to determine how much further back I will have to place my monitor.   thanks,

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Rob,

If you don't mind would you please post the dimensions of the box that sits on the desk.  It is a little unclear form the Virtual-Fly website how big it is.  I am just looking at my current CH Yoke and trying to determine how much further back I will have to place my monitor.   thanks,

Please ignore, I just watched your unpacking video and you answered by question.  Desk depth of 12".  By the way you have a very nice setup....love the neat cabling work you have done.  You should do a video of your home sim setup with the two large GF modules on each side.  Great stuff.

Mark W   CYYZ      

You should do a video of your home sim setup with the two large GF modules on each side.  Great stuff.

I think I have ... but now that my voice is doing better, I may actually do more voice overlays in my videos to explain what's what and why and when and where ... especially with Steve's handy Goflight Interface Tool and how to detect events and program controls (Steve's GIT is the key reason I use GoFlight modules, but I gotta admit, sometimes I not sure the folks at GoFlight understand just how important Steve's GIT is).

You may also want to leave another 2" at the rear of the YOKO yoke for USB cable clearance ... sorta depends how you have your monitor setup (elevated via stand or something).

Cheers, Rob.

You may also want to leave another 2" at the rear of the YOKO yoke for USB cable clearance ... sorta depends how you have your monitor setup (elevated via stand or something).

Cheers, Rob.

Good info, thanks Rob. btw, I watched one of your racing videos.....you worked your way through the field and finished second.  pretty exciting stuff.

Mark W   CYYZ      

Oh cool, I have many many videos going back to 1999 on old analog tapes ... to keep fit we (buddy and I) raced shifter Karts (125cc 6speed) on a regular basis ...  I used to instruct for NASA (not the space agency) in early 2000.  Highly recommend anyone that's into auto racing, get out to your local track and do a track day, but don't blame me if you get hooked.  If anyone wants to step it up a notch and get serious about racing, Shifter Karts is "somewhat" affordable (but not cheap) ... you'll find the competition VERY good in shifter karts.

This is a practice session going back to 2007 with my buddy (he's #71 in front of me, he is lightweight class, I'm heavyweight but I was on less worn tires) ... 

We'd do this 3 times a week (or as much as possible) to stay in shape ... a lot of Pro racers (Scott Dixon, Scott Speed, Andretti, AJ, etc.) use Shifter karts to stay fit and we'd often bump into them at Sears Point/Infineon/Sonoma Raceway (it's gone thru a few name changes).  My buddy has a picture of him in the 2 seater Indy "ride" car with Mario driving (Mario has a winery in Sonoma) ... he just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Made many friends and few enemies in my many years of racing, but it's an experience I'm glad I had the opportunity to enjoy.

Cheers, Rob.