Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

FaceTrackNoir Question

I purchased the Track Hat and I have the webcam that came with it, then downloaded FaceTrackNoir . I also downloaded the Code Driver for the webcam.

The problem is I'm not getting an image of myself with and without the Track Hat on. When I start FaceTrackNoir on the left box where my image is to be seen I see UDP.

The following is what I have ;

When I start up FaceTrackNoir the following is what I have;
Profile > default.ini

Tracker Source ( 1st Master ) > FaceTrackNoir UDP

Tracker Source ( 2nd ) > FaceTrackNoir UDP

Filter > None
EWMA Mk2

Game Protocal (1st and 2nd ) > CSV
Flight Gear
FaceTrackNoir
Mouse Look

In the window on the left where my face is seen instead I see >  UDP

I cannot bring up an image.

Is there a plug -in or protocol that is needed ?

I think source of UDP is for FaceTrackNoIR to receive 6DOF streamed from another application.

Try changing source to PointTracker for a IR clip or FaceAPI for facial recognition to use the camera.

I have facetracknoir but I have made a 3 clip IR and I use Pointracker 1.1, but I have now switched to Opentrack which is very good.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I did a clean install and the same thing happens. When I start it on the left where I should see my image I see UDP. I'm really disappointed since I paid for FaceTrackNoir and the Code Lab driver. It's not much, but I expected more from this. I guess I'll use Open Track now instead.

I'm assuming that you have the PS3 Eye camera.  Did you run the CL-Eye Test program that came with the CL drivers first to make sure the camera is working and set correctly?

Todd

I purchased the Track Hat and I have the webcam that came with it, then downloaded FaceTrackNoir . I also downloaded the Code Driver for the webcam.

The problem is I'm not getting an image of myself with and without the Track Hat on. When I start FaceTrackNoir on the left box where my image is to be seen I see UDP.

The following is what I have ;

When I start up FaceTrackNoir the following is what I have;

Profile > default.ini

Tracker Source ( 1st Master ) > FaceTrackNoir UDP

Tracker Source ( 2nd ) > FaceTrackNoir UDP

Filter > None

EWMA Mk2

Game Protocal (1st and 2nd ) > CSV

Flight Gear

FaceTrackNoir

Mouse Look

In the window on the left where my face is seen instead I see > UDP

I cannot bring up an image.

Is there a plug -in or protocol that is needed ?

To add to what Todd said, first, make sure that the camera is working. I think that the Track Hat webcam is a PS Eye. I'll assume you've installed the driver for it (CL-Eye driver) which should also have installed the CL-Eye Test app. Switch on the Track Hat and camera and run the test app. Open the Options menu and make sure that Preview is ticked - you should see three white dots. If not, or you see a lot of background rubbish, open Options, Video Capture Filter..., untick Auto for both Gain and Exposure and adjust them until you have a dark background with 3 clear white dots. If you still see nothing then there may be a problem with your webcam. Leave the camera and Track Hat switched on but close the test app.

Assuming the camera is working, run FaceTrackNoIR and select the following settings:

On the View menu, make sure that Video Widget is ticked.

Tracker Source (1st = Master) - PointTracker (it may say 1.0 - there is an update to PointTracker 1.1 available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ftnoirpt/ - after updating it will still say 1.0 in FaceTrackNoIR v17x)

Tracker Source (2nd) - None

Filter - Accela Filter Mk2

Game protocol - FSX SimConnect

Game protocol (2nd) - None

In the Global Settings, I have the Smoothing set to about 10 but you can play about with this once it's all working. I also have Invert Yaw and Invert X ticked.

In the GO! box click on Start and you may see 3 crosses appear in the Video Widget window and it may say "Tracking". Don't worry if there are lots of crosses (or none) or it doesn't say Tracking as you will adjust this next.

Go to Settings (immediately below PointTracker) and on the General tab and make sure that Show Video Widget and Dynamic Pose Resolution are ticked. Select the Model tab and click on the Cap tab (this selects the cap format as your LED model). Leave calibration for now and just select the Camera tab at the top of the box. Make sure that Device shows PS3 Eye Camera. I have the Resolution set to 640x480 and FPS set to 60 - you can set this higher but 60 seems to work fine for me. Under Point Extraction, start with the Threshold slider in the middle and move it left until the crosses in the Video Widget just disappear (or lots of crosses appear) and note the postion of the slider. Next move the slider right until the crosses in the Video Widget just disappear and note the postion of the slider again. Put the slider roughly in the middle of the two points (you may need to fine tune it later if the lighting in the room changes). Make sure that all 3 crosses still show when you turn your head as far as you can left and right whilst still being able to see the screen comfortably - if not, fine tune the slider. Now go back to the Model tab and click on Calibrate. WITHOUT moving your shoulders, turn your head left, right, nod up and down and roll your head left and right, each several times, until the numbers in the x, y and z boxes start to look fairly stable then click Calibrate again. Click Ok at the bottom to close the Settings box and you should be good to go. Now click on Stop and in the Profile box click on Save As... and call it something like FSX-hat. Click on Start again.

These instructions work with FaceTrackNoIR v17x. If you get the new version (v200 - now donationware) they should still work but I have found that if you run FaceTrackNoIR v200 in isolation to set it up, and FSX is not running, the crosses in the Video Widget are very slow to respond and the FPS shown is very low. Once FSX is running this speeds up and works nornally.

Fire up FSX with a flight which starts on the ground and move your head around to check everything is working. You may need to invert (or uninvert) an axis or transition to get the view moving in the correct direction.

Let me know if this all works.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Tried what you suggested but still no luck. I un-installed FaceTrackNoir and installed Open Track. After about one week of trying I felt it was time to pull the plug. I have an image with that but haven't made the adjustments yet. You have been a lot of help and I'll let you know if there's a problem, thanks.

Tried what you suggested but still no luck. I un-installed FaceTrackNoir and installed Open Track. After about one week of trying I felt it was time to pull the plug. I have an image with that but haven't made the adjustments yet. You have been a lot of help and I'll let you know if there's a problem, thanks.

Just out of interest, are you using FSX-MS or FSX-SE? If it's SE, have you installed all of the legacy SimConnects? Worth a try before you finally give up on FaceTrackNoIR. OpenTrack is a good piece of software but I found that it's not quite as smooth in FSX on my system as FaceTrackNoIR.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I'm using FSX/Accelerator. I don't know anything about the  legacy SimConnects . If I need it where is it found?

I'm using FSX/Accelerator. I don't know anything about the  legacy SimConnects . If I need it where is it found?

Won't do you any good if you don't have video first.  Let's take this one step at a time.

After running CL-Eye Test do you have a camera image?

Todd

Yes, I do have an image from the eye test. It's dark but there. Under Devices > ps3eye is checked. Under Options > Preview is checked. I have Windows 10.

I forgot to add I installed the paid download from CODE Labs.

OK run CL-Eye Test one more time and while viewing the camera image rotate the PS3 Eye camera lens left or right and make sure the image is set for the zoom setting.  You'll want to use the zoomed setting and not the wider angle view.  Once you have done that close CL-Eye Test as you won't need to use it again.

Now start the FaceTrackNoIR software.  You do not need to start FSX to make sure head tracking is working.  Also you said you have a Track Hat.  Do not use that for this test as FaceTrackNoIR works with face recognition also.  Once FaceTrackNoIR starts change the settings to the following:

Profile - default.ini

Tracker Source(1st = Master) - faceAPI V3.2.6   Now in the same section press the Settings button and most importantly make sure "show videowidget" is checked.  Also make sure all of the Axis are checked.

Filter - Accela Filter Mk2

Game protocol - FSX SimConnect

Tracker Source (2nd) - None

Game protocol (2nd) - None

Now in the GO! section press Start.  A window should appear in the location where you may or may not see UDP.  This window will look like a Windows program window and it will be titled FaceAPI_Tracker.  If you have that window you should see the PS3 Eye camera display a red light and your image will be displayed.  If all of that works move close enough to the camera until the yellow outline appears on your face on the camera image.  You will need good lighting on your face for the yellow outline to appear.  At that point you will have face recognition tracking.

Remember don't run FSX and don't use your Track Hat.

Report back with your results.

Todd

I have only one option under Tracker Source ( 1st Master ) and that is FaceTrackNoir UDP. Under Filter again only one option and that is EWMA filterMk2. I didn't go any farther than that.

OK there's your problem!  You need to download the Plugin Pack for FaceTrackNoIR from their website.

http://www.facetracknoir.nl/

Click the green button that say's "Free Download" and after installing repeat the steps I provided above.

Todd

After the plug- in I have all the settings that you described. When I turned it on the red light came on the camera. On the left where my image should be I see the words ' Commercial Use '. It's a very dark screen and can barely see my hand when held in front of the cam about two feet in front of it. The lighting is pretty good over me, but the image is too dark. I'm half way there now and finally feeling more optimistic.