Sign in to follow this  
Nick Dobda

VATSIM - NGX equipment code

I'm finally getting into VATSIM with this plane and had a question about the equipment code-

I understand VATSIM keeps it simple, so I'm assuming the code should look something like T/738/L

Their equipment listing is here:

https://www.vatsim.net/pilot-resource-centre/general-lessons/choosing-equipment-code

IF anyone has anything else to add to this topic to help me learn that would be appreciated.

To this point I've been flying SIDS, STARS, RNAV approaches, obviously the GPS is working along with the IRS's, I could use VOR's & VORTAC's for navigation if I had to, obviously use the ILS.. and well the FIX feature of the FMC pretty much for any navaid in the US.

If I'm throwing terms out there that you suspect I don't know what I'm talking about please educate me.  

T/

T/ isn't used anymore. Don't add it. The only prefix used now is H/ for heavy (yes, even though the 380 calls with 'super' it still files as H/).

Otherwise, you're fine. I adjust it based on what I'm simulating. If you simulated a GPS failure, you'd adjust the code for that particular flight.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Nick,

Exactly that (with the caveat mentioned by Kyle that the T/ prefix is no longer used).

/L if you have GPS, /Z if you are IRS only (are there any NGs without GPS?).

Something like a C172, by comparison, which is not RVSM compliant might be /A (if basic equipment/radio nav only) or /G (if equipped with a GPS).

Thank you. 

I'm listening to live ATC today at work to get a feel for things. I'm trying to follow flights in, but they seem to change from approach to tower to ground without being instructed to, so I'm losing them. 

Only been listening an hour though, maybe if I just have it on in the background things will make sense at some point.

And it sounds like approach serves as both approach and departure (from and too the centers?)

I'm listening to live ATC today at work to get a feel for things. I'm trying to follow flights in, but they seem to change from approach to tower to ground without being instructed to, so I'm losing them. 

Most likely due to line of sight, or the fact that most feeds on LiveATC are using a scanner for multiple frequencies. In scan mode, the scanner may leave a frequency to check other frequencies in the list for transmissions. I haven't seen very many dedicated LiveATC feeds that would avoid this issue. The result is usually a more lively stream, at the cost of missing some calls on other frequencies.

Kyle Rodgers

the fact that most feeds on LiveATC are using a scanner for multiple frequencies

Makes sense thank you.

Humorous and memorable first flight on VATSIM last night. After not being able to get my mic to work, I ended up having to download a ton of new drivers for windows 10. After 40 minutes of installing them, the mic started to work. But the new drivers messed up my eyefinity. Took another hour to figure that out. By this time its 11:00 at least an hour after my bedtime, but I loaded up VATSIM and it was working so I just had to try it.

Totally screwed up my flows while configuring everything for the flight, completely screwed up my readbacks... finally made it to takeoff and as I'm going down the runway no V speeds loaded and I couldn't engage LNAV (no doubt from screwing up my flows and checklists). Complete embarrassment having taken the last year to learn how to fly this plane with confidence and looking like a complete fool to VATSIM ATC.

Oh well, try it again next time. 

Complete embarrassment having taken the last year to learn how to fly this plane with confidence and looking like a complete fool to VATSIM ATC.

As someone who's done the ATC thing on VATSIM, I definitely appreciate it when people try to learn the network when it's an "off" night. If there isn't much going on, I'll even provide guidance/feedback via text. I think all of us have had completely boneheaded flights on VATSIM. Some sessions, I actually appreciate it when things get messed up. One of the most memorable times was when someone had an IRS failure with a lower ceiling. Gave them no-gyro (no-DG, really) vectors to get them pointed in the right direction until they were able to pick up the field visually. If it's not busy, anything that gets away from the norm is kinda refreshing...even when people are new and completely screw up whatever they're trying to do  :wink:

Kyle Rodgers

Gave them no-gyro (no-DG, really) vectors to get them pointed in the right direction until they were able to pick up the field visually. If it's not busy, anything that gets away from the norm is kinda refreshing

Kyle, next time I see you controlling I'm going to show up and ask for an ASR approach. 

Joe Sherrill