Sign in to follow this  
delamar

What is my system's bottleneck

Good afternoon guys, i'm not sure if this belongs to this forum or the P3D forum, but i thought it was better here. I was using FSX and running it with about 30 frames on the ground at payware scenery with addons like pmdg 777, ASN, GSX, etc, so i was quite happy with my rig. Recently i bought a Samsung 850 evo SSD and with the reinstall i decided to switch to P3D. But now that i have everything installed i get about 8 frames in aerosoft's EGLL with their A320... So i would like to ask for your opinion in what is my system's bottleneck, and what would you recommend for an upgrade with a bugdet of about 200-300 euros.

Thanks in advance!

MOBO : ASUS P8z77 vle

CPU : i7 3770K OC to 4,7Ghz

GPU : Nvidia GTX 550Ti

SSD: (windows and P3D there):Samsung 850 evo 250gb

corsair h80 water cooler

PSU: 620W

RAM: 2x4gb 1600Mhz

im pretty sure its the GPU, but i'd like to know if i should invest in new ram as well, and if your suggestions would be compatible with the system.

Thanks a lot!

One answer would be EGLL.  That is near the top of the list for resource-hogging airports.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Francisco, I would say the bottleneck is your graphics card. P3D shifts more of the processing load to the graphics card than FSX plus P3D has more graphic details than FSX, increasing the load on your graphics card even further. I have the same motherboard and CPU as you overclocked to 4.5 ghz but a 780 GTX. It runs both FSX and P3D fine. I used to have a 285GTX, which probably had better performance than your 550ti, in this system and I noticed a big improvement going to the 780 GTX.

In Nividia's numbering scheme the first digit is the generation of the card, currently it is 900. The second two digits represent the performance level of the card, 50 at the low end and 90 at the upper end. Above the 90 series are the Titan cards. As you can see your card is a couple generations old and was at the bottom end of the performance level when it was new.

I also have 2400 mhz RAM. Another item to consider if you can find some with low timings at a good price. I'd recommend a new card first though.

Some important final words though. A better graphics card will help mainly by allowing you to run at higher graphics settings. I don't know what addons you use and how you have your sim set-up. If you have addons and settings that are overloading your CPU, like large amounts of AI traffic in London or New York City, then a better graphics card will not help much. I expect that your 550ti is fairly maxed out though. There is a free utilty called GPU-z that you can download and check you GPU loading with. This will give you a good indication if your GPU is the bottleneck.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Wow thanks a lot for your detailed answer! I have all orbx global+FS global but i dont use ai. I'll have a Look on your suggestions and if i have any questions I'll ask! Thanks a lot!

Get yourself the best you can afford, minimum of a GTX 960.  The 970 would be preferable if you can manage it

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

I'm running a 3770k now, prior to assembling the parts for a Skylake rig. But with a GTX 770. Performance is very acceptable as long as I don't go insane with the settings. 

I'd most definitely agree with the lads... your GPU is the bottleneck.

Ok, i think the 980 is too expensive for me, but i'll start to look on the 970. Thanks a lot!

Trying using the AI Traffic Optimizer (found here in the forums). It will kill off 100-200 AI airplanes in the London area you'd never notice they were there.