Sign in to follow this  
Carob

Strobe Light Frequency?

Hello.

Is there a line in the aircraft.cfg files (or anywhere that can be adjusted really) that controls the strobe light flashes?

I have a couple of aircraft where the strobes don't blink the way they should (frequency, etc.) and I was hoping that could be easily adjusted somehow.  Or is that something that is hard-coded in the .mdl file or something like that?

Thanks!

Some are hard-coded, e.g. most TDS/POSKY/SkySpirit models.

Others use effects called in the [lights] section of the aircraft.cfg

E.g.

light.0 =  2,  -6.55, -18.07,  1.58, fx_strobecarb8 ,
and the effect in this case fx_strobecarb8.fx can be found in the effects folder.
These are editable, but that's a different discussion.
Often it's easier to go looking for existing effects.
Plenty of freeware, although I have Shockwave's 3D lights which give me more variations than I could use.

So if that line is there what would I adjust to make the lights not stay on as long?  So they actually strobe and not just light up for a while?  Can that be changed?

Some are hard-coded, e.g. most TDS/POSKY/SkySpirit models.

Not the best example as the TDS/Skyspirit models are what I would call semi-hard coded. That is apart from Hiroshi's incredible modelling skills he also gives us access to the XML coding for animations and lights. (which IMHO make his models the very best for FS pay ware or freeware).

So in fact one can change the  strobe light timings on these models. (this would be xml coding. Changing the timing of an effect is a quite different thing)

So I would say any other models with wing flex apart from the above models would be hard coded.

Which model exactly are you talking about Carob?

ifdg MD-11?

Okaaaay. It's been a very long time since I saw that model. Two questions.

1. Does it have wing flex?

2. Does it have a line for a strobe effect in the Lights section of the aircraft cfg?

Here is an example of a aircraft with hard coded strobe lights apart from the beacons. The 50 North/Tmoos 733.

In the video the other light effects are written by me also (beacon, taxi and landing lights)

Luckily the model has no wing flex so is suited to a strobe effect.

My strobe effect is written as one effect file so all strobes will be perfectly synchronised left/right wing and tail (a la Boeing style)

If you have a strobe effect that you wish to change the timing of it is the line 

Rate= x.xx, x.xx in the Emitter.x  of the strobe effect file.

Something like Rate=2.70, 2.70 would suit a Boeing.

I believe it does have wing flex.  Here is the Lights section...

[lights]

//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing

light.0 = 1, -23.26, 0, -9.55, fx_beacon

light.1 = 1, 0, 0, 10.66, fx_beacon

light.2 = 4, 93.45, 0, 5.23, fx_vclight

I believe it does have wing flex.  Here is the Lights section...

[lights]

//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing

light.0 = 1, -23.26, 0, -9.55, fx_beacon

light.1 = 1, 0, 0, 10.66, fx_beacon

light.2 = 4, 93.45, 0, 5.23, fx_vclight

So I'm afraid there is nothing you can do. They are hard coded.

If they were hard coded with no wing flex I would suggest you do as I have above.

So none of those entries in "light.2" control the rate of flash?  Well that stinks.  Oh well.

I have looked for a better freeware MD-11 but can't find anything.  Any suggestions?

So none of those entries in "light.2" control the rate of flash?

The "2" in "light.2" is an index number.

The next number, =4, is the type of lighting. In this case it is a cockpit light.

As the plane has strobes and there are no =2 lights in the aircraft.cfg, it indicates the strobes are coded into the model.

This is typical in wing flex equipped planes and there is no way to change them.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I was thinking it was the other way around.  Oh well.

If anyone has ideas on what might be a better model MD-11 all around I'd be interested.

Thanks.

I have an MD-11 from Simmers Sky which as I recall was freeware.

That is apart from Hiroshi's incredible modelling skills he also gives us access to the XML coding for animations and lights.
SO have you been able to brighten up the tiny little pinprick nav lights on the TDS B7xx yet?

It's a major failing in the model for me.

I have an MD-11 from Simmers Sky which as I recall was freeware.

I agree with WingZ, I would say the Simmer's Sky would be my choice for a freeware MD-11.

I also have the pay ware Skysim MD-11 and PMDG MD-11 (SKYSim MD-11 is my favourite model). But the MD-11 is low down on my Three-holer list and never get's out of the hangar. :lazy:

SO have you been able to brighten up the tiny little pinprick nav lights on the TDS B7xx yet?
It's a major failing in the model for me

Erm ... no but I can change the timing of the strobes/beacons.  :ph34r:

Is this Simmer's Sky Model still available somewhere?  If so can you point me?

So I think I found the SMS version.  I guess it's also Overland?  (Pretty close to the same looking strobes though.)

Anyway, after loading the UPS textures I found (ups_md-11__sms_.zip) there are FedEx words on the engine cowlings.  But, only at night.  During the day it looks fine.

I sent a message to the person who did the UPS paint but the account is no longer active.  Does anyone know how I might be able to fix this?