Sign in to follow this  
unitedfan723

What kind of system would I need?

5960X is an 8 core CPU

Yes my bad got the 5960x mixed up with the 5920k. Wow I thought the average OC was less. That means it has more overclocking headroom than a 6700k which is crazy for a 8 core.

3. Obviously I need a massive power supply I know basically NOTHING about those so any suggestions in that regard would be helpful.

I don' think anyone answered this yet, but the answer really is "it depends". This is my approach.

1. What I have done for my last 3 builds is, as you are doing, first identify all the components you plan to integrate into your system and then use one of the online PC Power Calculators on the web. For example this one.

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

Total it all up and then add 50W as an extra buffer for additional components you may want to add later. That should give you a good starting point on how big the PSU needs to be.

2. Then the next step is figure out what your specific GPU requires in terms of voltage. This is where things can vary as some cards rely upon specific rail or rails with a voltage minimum to be available. Not sure what the GTX 980 needs, but best to check in the GPU specs of the specific card you want to buy. You want to make sure that your PSU meets the GPU requirements in terms of rail voltages and total wattage to ensure you will have a stable system.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Regards,

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

6700k is a very good CPU, Haswell-E is nice but the memcontroller is weak, and you need very good cooling.

Rob dont like the Skylake, i prefer Skylake better IPC cheap compared to the 5960x.

Have only one Haswell-E a 5960x , had 5820k and 5930k sold them.

Haswell-E is "Old" close to be replaced by Broadwell-E

If you wait for Pascal and not want to have a 6700k no reason to buy Haswell-E

Wait for Broadwell probaly realeased before Pascal.

• Upvote 1

How many displays at which resolutions are you planning to run? At 2x 1920x1080, my setup uses around 3.5 GB VRAM of the card. It could probably run a third display just fine and still have headroom.

Right now probably just 1. I don't know if it's worth getting a 2nd because I do not have enough workspace to put a 3rd monitor so I dunno if some people use 2 monitors to sim?

4.  980Ti (if you can wait for Pascal, I would) if you go 2160p, or 970 if 1440p or less

Is there any concrete info of when that might be coming out though? I saw speculation but not much actual info. 

So i've done a lot of research on what components to put into my system but at this point I am more confused than ever. As I mentioned in the first post I want to run ASN, Rex+Soft Clouds, FTX Global, vector, Trees, PMDG level, and say FSDT airports. What components are a must have for me to get excellent performance or will it not matter and no system will run great with all those add-ons? 

Is there any concrete info of when that might be coming out though?

Q3 or Q4 2016, apparently still on schedule and no reported delays.

What components are a must have for me to get excellent performance or will it not matter and no system will run great with all those add-ons?

I have all those and more, but it's impossible to answer that question because "location" and add-ons used at that location can vary FPS by as much as 200-300% less ... for example KLAX FSDT with Orbx SoCal at 4K with VERY high graphics settings in a PMDG can be a 16 FPS experience, but KDEN (FB) with Orbx Global/Vector at 4K with the same VERY high graphics settings can be 40-60 FPS.

My goal is 30 FPS with 30Hz monitor, I'll adjust add-ons or graphics setting such that I can sustain that with perhaps an occasional long frame (not distracting).

Are you going to be able to max everything, anywhere, with any number of Add-ons with current top tier hardware, no, definitely NOT.

I mentioned Pascal GPU because P3D does make good use of the GPU.  Performance is still speculation, the speculation is 10X better performance ... but based on the specifications provided so far by nVidia, I'd guess real world would be closer to 2X performance.

Cheers, Rob.

I have all those and more, but it's impossible to answer that question because "location" and add-ons used at that location can vary FPS by as much as 200-300% less ... for example KLAX FSDT with Orbx SoCal at 4K with VERY high graphics settings in a PMDG can be a 16 FPS experience, but KDEN (FB) with Orbx Global/Vector at 4K with the same VERY high graphics settings can be 40-60 FPS.

My goal is 30 FPS with 30Hz monitor, I'll adjust add-ons or graphics setting such that I can sustain that with perhaps an occasional long frame (not distracting).

Are you going to be able to max everything, anywhere, with any number of Add-ons with current top tier hardware, no, definitely NOT.

I mentioned Pascal GPU because P3D does make good use of the GPU.  Performance is still speculation, the speculation is 10X better performance ... but based on the specifications provided so far by nVidia, I'd guess real world would be closer to 2X performance.

Cheers, Rob.

Very interesting, I honestly don't mind toning down the sliders it was just with FSX I could never get a nice balance of the sim looking nice and performing well. I always felt that with the computer I am using I should of been able to run FSX at pretty high settings with the add-ons running but it just wasn't the case. 

So it seems waiting for Pascal is the right thing to do. Now is that gonna be one of those things where you need more than 1 or will 1 be enough? 

So it seems waiting for Pascal is the right thing to do. Now is that gonna be one of those things where you need more than 1 or will 1 be enough?

Will have to wait and see, can't answer that.  My "hunch" (and that's all it is) is if you run 4K and want 8X SGSS AA and dense clouds, then two Pascal GPUs.  Otherwise, 1 Pascal.  Pascal "should" solve the dense clouds and SGSS AA usage issue.

Cheers, Rob.

Will have to wait and see, can't answer that.  My "hunch" (and that's all it is) is if you run 4K and want 8X SGSS AA and dense clouds, then two Pascal GPUs.  Otherwise, 1 Pascal.  Pascal "should" solve the dense clouds and SGSS AA usage issue.

Cheers, Rob.

Even once I get all this stuff seeing some other threads about then tweaking the sim lol. It seems like there will be constant tweaking regardless of the hardware. I don't mind some tweaking to the sim but adding like 50 lines to the cfg is not my idea of fun. 

I don't mind some tweaking to the sim but adding like 50 lines to the cfg is not my idea of fun.

Not sure what others are doing, but I don't have single "tweak" in my Prepar3d.cfg and no issues with performance at extreme graphics settings and 192 add-ons.

Cheers, Rob.