Sign in to follow this  
FlyCathay

Update to Windows 10, good idea?

I know I would need to do it eventually, but given my windows 7 and all the addons run nicely (UT2, PMDG, P3D, the old good FSX for installing addons, and all the airports), I hesitate everytime when I almost pull the trigger. I wonder if I simply press the windows update button would do the magic? Or should I expect to clean install every addons afterward? The thing I am worrying the most is old programs like UT2 won't work in W10. Or should I tell myself "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

my system: 3770k OC to 4.7Ghz, SLI 2x970

Danny F

I'm running W10 but I only did it because of a new machine. It's fine but I doubt there is any point to upgrade (there is no performance improvements that I have heard of) unless you either are changing the hardware out or there is some software that runs best on W10 like a future hypothetical DX12 simulation which doesn't exist yet. You might also want to do it for other reasons that you use your PC for.

On Windows 10 Pro x64 here and everything runs as it should. I have yet to find any software that worked on 7 but doesn't on 10. I went from 7 to 10,initially, with an update but once I was comfortable with the new OS, I clean installed 10 followed by the simulator (FSX at the time, now P3D) and all add-ons including Ultimate Traffic 2. All the add-ons you mentioned work perfectly and as stated by 'glider1' above, there aren't any performance benefits of moving to 10; not that I can tell anyway.

I'm sure everything would work just as well if you decided to click that update button so a clean install isn't mandated; it's personal preference as far as I am aware.

My system: i7 4790K OC 4.6GHz, Asus Strix GTX970

I am no expert but from what I have heard, a clean W10 install is ok as the registry is clean and built up from the start.

Running the upgrade tool will give you W10 but it may mess up the registry with all the trouble that comes with that. Especially with a complex set of software like FSX and its add-ons.

I have one older machine upgraded and it now is stuck on update KB3140768, as more people have encountered.

That is my lesson to keep W8 for now. On a new machine it will be W10.

Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

That is the only problem I see right now, "getting stuck on an update". I would wait as long as possible to  upgrade, maybe the will come up with the right way to upgrade.

I like 10 and have not problems running programs from 7, only niggle is that I spend as much time watching my machine try to do a cumulative update as I do tweaking and playing with P3D. That part is very frustrating. (My wife's machine was a clean install and her machine causes no problems whatsoever with updates) 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

the problem with 10 is the updates which you cannot control and they use processor and memory  which makes fsim very jerky for up to an hour ormore, plus now you will get adverts which you likewise cannot control

if windows 7 aint broke my advice is there is no advantage of going to 10

• Upvote 1

Nigel Porter

simhaven. group see: https://www.facebook.com/groups/493455508243014

the problem with 10 is the updates which you cannot control and they use processor and memory which makes fsim very jerky for up to an hour ormore, plus now you will get adverts which you likewise cannot control

Not sure where you got that information from but I haven't seen any degradation in performance while Windows installs updates in the background. As for controlling said updates, I believe you can't control them if you're on the most basic version of Windows 10. For Windows 10 Pro and above, I do have the option to defer updates. Not entirely sure what you mean by uncontrollable adverts either as I've yet to come across any on my system.

Some people have had problems with W10 and have had to go back to W7. For that reason, I am sticking with W7. It isn't broken, so I'm not fixing it till it breaks.   

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

10 will give me no benefit over 7 for FSX so I won't be changing. Having control over updates is important so another reason to stay with 7.

If it wasn't free a lot of people wouldn't bother. I've also 'hidden' the 10 'advert' updates so don't get nagged or have anything downloaded behind the scenes.

I suspect Microsoft will continue to offer it foc after 29 July.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

the problem with 10 is the updates which you cannot control and they use processor and memory  which makes fsim very jerky for up to an hour ormore, plus now you will get adverts which you likewise cannot control

if windows 7 aint broke my advice is there is no advantage of going to 10

You can set your internet connection to "metered", which will postpone all updates until you decide to download them.

@FlyCathay:

I'm running P3D on a clean and fresh Windows 10 Pro here and it runs great. I'd never go for an upgrade which skips one major version altogether. Too many variables and unknowns. If possible, do a clean install in dual-boot to see that your hardware and important software are working as expected. Then eventually kill Windows 7 and free up space. (This of course requires having a suitable partition layout or several disks; otherwise that can be messy)

Run whatever works for you. If you're happy with Windows 7 and have no other reasons to upgrade, stick with it. P3D certainly won't require Windows 10 any time soon to run properly. Can as well wait until your next major hardware upgrade.

10 will give me no benefit over 7 for FSX so I won't be changing. Having control over updates is important so another reason to stay with 7.

If it wasn't free a lot of people wouldn't bother. I've also 'hidden' the 10 'advert' updates so don't get nagged or have anything downloaded behind the scenes.

I suspect Microsoft will continue to offer it foc after 29 July.

Hi Ray:

How do you know which are the 'advert' updates and how do you hide them?  Do you have to read thru each update before you install?  I already have the "GWX" icon in my system tray and have had some popups bugging me to install W-10.  Hoping I can shut this off before it is too late. 

I will probably get W10 later when, hopefully, things are sorted out.

Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

Hi Ray:

How do you know which are the 'advert' updates and how do you hide them?  Do you have to read thru each update before you install?  I already have the "GWX" icon in my system tray and have had some popups bugging me to install W-10.  Hoping I can shut this off before it is too late. 

I will probably get W10 later when, hopefully, things are sorted out.

Airbus

Download the GWX control panel and install it. It will find any update from Windows 10 and block it as long as you want. You can then turn your normal windows updates back on.   http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I used GWX Control Panel on my P3D box.....it will stay Win7 until hell freezes over.

I have Win10 on 2 laptops....it's ok.  I turned off all the "spyware" and there are apps

to shut down the telemetry to the mothership. :-)

CK

If it works work it !!, When was the last time You sent Your Car to the Mechanic because it was running so Well ??. I understand that part of the enjoyment of this Hobby is Installation and Change. and Update, But once You have it there, Enjoy IT !!, It won't be long before You Loose a hard drive, or Blow a mother board, then would be the time to change things around. Sort of like Everybody  jumps up and down and cheers whenever a golfer makes a hole in one ?? Isn't that what they are trying to do every time they hit the golf ball ?? Johnman B)