Sign in to follow this  
FlyCathay

Update to Windows 10, good idea?

Hi Ray:

How do you know which are the 'advert' updates and how do you hide them?  Do you have to read thru each update before you install?  I already have the "GWX" icon in my system tray and have had some popups bugging me to install W-10.  Hoping I can shut this off before it is too late. 

I will probably get W10 later when, hopefully, things are sorted out.

Airbus

Hi Airbus,

I don't use the utility mentioned above. The W10 adverts are always in Windows Updates, not security updates.

If you highlight a windows update entry over to the right there is a 'More Information' option. Clicking that will take you to Microsoft where it will describe the update. Anything with Windows 10 in it is the key. You can then right-click the entry and choose hide.

It will return every couple of months but it's not too much hassle to hide them again.

NickN listed all the KB articles some time ago but I can't find the link.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Looking through my hidden updates these are the KB numbers:-

3102429 (optional)

All are recommended except the one indicated. They may not all relate to 10 but nearly all will. You should now be able to remove those and the ads for 10 will disappear. Keep on top of things though. Microsoft don't give up easily!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks all for the comments. I guess I will restrain myself from clicking the update button and wait until I update my CPU and motherboard.

Danny F

I really feel for people avoiding Windows 10; seems like quite a task.

I already use Windows 10 (full purchase price unfortunately. New build.).

I've had no issues with it but I do understand everybody has a different setup so other issues may occur.

If you get it for free just try it, you can always revert back. I have no option so I just had to cross my fingers and toes and hope for the best.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sean Green

i recently upgraded from win10 to win 7. ;)

I value my privacy.

For those that do have 10 there is a program called shutup10 to shut down all if not most of the invasive privacy intrusions ina very user friendly way.

-Roland

Any body using the LEVEL-D 767 with Windows 10? That's the only addon I've had a problem with.  PMDG, A2A runs  fine.

Vic green

My experience with Prepar3D within Win 10 was not too bad with the exception of erratic to unusable opperation of some GoFlight Modules, most notably the Gf-166 modules. Despite applying all known fixes supplied by Rob A and Steve from Pollypot Software, I was never able to obtain reliable operation of some of these devices...Extremely frustrating after a Win 10 Pro clean install and an extensive Prepar3D addon and aircraft install.

Now after a Win 10 delete and a clean reinstall of Win 7, along with all of the many P3D addons, all is well with P3Dv3 and GoFlight. I am one happy camper again and will stay with Win 7 till the day I die! .......Age 81 and counting......Hopefully, Win 7 will out live me!

If I go back to Windows 7 is there danger of not being kept up to date on security updates? What other sacrifice might there be down the road with not updating Windows?

Vic green

If I go back to Windows 7 is there danger of not being kept up to date on security updates? What other sacrifice might there be down the road with not updating Windows?

Security updates are still being offered in Windows Update for Windows 7.  They will be until they announce the OS will no longer be supported, about 5 years after a new OS.  Windows 10 is free until July 29th.  Not sure how much afterwards but between $100 and $200.  Of course you can still continue to use Windows 7.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Airbus,

I don't use the utility mentioned above. The W10 adverts are always in Windows Updates, not security updates.

If you highlight a windows update entry over to the right there is a 'More Information' option. Clicking that will take you to Microsoft where it will describe the update. Anything with Windows 10 in it is the key. You can then right-click the entry and choose hide.

It will return every couple of months but it's not too much hassle to hide them again.

NickN listed all the KB articles some time ago but I can't find the link.

It's even less of a hassle to download GWX, and you will never see W10 KB  again and you can turn auto updates on with no fear of the W 10 download option  popping up again. 

I really feel for people avoiding Windows 10; seems like quite a task.

I already use Windows 10 (full purchase price unfortunately. New build.).

I've had no issues with it but I do understand everybody has a different setup so other issues may occur.

If you get it for free just try it, you can always revert back. I have no option so I just had to cross my fingers and toes and hope for the best.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Some people have tried the free upgrade, and it screwed up, and they tried the roll back and that didn't work and they wound up having to wipe their hard drive and reinstall windows and everything else. Talk about a self created nightmare. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Thanks all for the comments. I guess I will restrain myself from clicking the update button and wait until I update my CPU and motherboard.

If your going to upgrade cpu etc. , don't do free upgrade to 10 yet. You will lose the free license when you stick in new CPU

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

If you do do it , do not go with the upgrade path. Do a full reinstall. Lots of us had addon /permissions/runtime/font problems etc. after upgrading that were unfixable.  In my case it was EFB, majestic Q400 and Goflight hardware...After a clean install everything works flawlessly -  zero issues with above mentioned programs. 

Just my take on it. If you're not willing to go full monty then stick with W7.

If your going to upgrade cpu etc. , don't do free upgrade to 10 yet. You will lose the free license when you stick in new CPU

That's a good point. I manage to make the upgrade notification disappear by adding a registry, so I will live with W7 before upgrading the CPU.

If you do do it , do not go with the upgrade path. Do a full reinstall. Lots of us had addon /permissions/runtime/font problems etc. after upgrading that were unfixable.  In my case it was EFB, majestic Q400 and Goflight hardware...After a clean install everything works flawlessly -  zero issues with above mentioned programs. 

Just my take on it. If you're not willing to go full monty then stick with W7.

I actually upgraded my non-sim machine by simply pressing the upgrade option. Everything is fine on that machine as there are not many programs. But for my sim computer, there are so many uncertainties with so many different addons. Meanwhile, I will just stick with W7 before major upgrade.

Danny F

I'm running Windows 10 with P3D and have no issues.

A quick edit of group policy on the machine stops updates automatically installing which allows me to control the installation.

A few other tweaks and she's good to go. Runs brilliantly.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Quick note: if you want to update to W10, please take your time and install each and every update for W7 first. Means: manually run the "check for updates" several times, until there is really none missing anymore. Then, download and install the newest drivers for GPU, soundcards etc, the ones which also provide W10 compatibility (if you have not done this anyway already). Last, delete this TODO file (check ORBX forum for the location), otherwise the W10 setup will fail. After this, your computer is ready for the update. I did it exactly like this, the update went through flawlessly and never had any issues after the update. However, to be absolutely sure, a brand new installation might still be the better way to go.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS