Sign in to follow this  
heathrowspotter

P3D Closing on startup

Hello everyone,

I have been having trouble with my p3d all of a sudden it just started closing randomly. I click on it running it as admin and the splash screen appears for a while before closing. When I say closing I mean it doesnt show up as not responding and there isnt anything in the log,

please help.

Did you Install anything recently (Just before the crash)  

It could be 100 things.  

Are you still having problems ?  

Personally,  I would start by Moving your dll.xml file to a different folder on your desktop "folder" and then start Prepar3D,  If things come back to normal,  inspect your dll.exe file for inconsistencies.   

dll.xml  located here Users ► you► AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D 

I would then check my dll.xml file located here Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin  ► Prepar3D  A small possibility a program has loaded in here and didn't merge correctly with your dll.xml file in AppData ► Roaming.

If no go there,  i would also do the same with my exe.xml file, located in the same place,  process of elimination and all that. 

If that doesn't work,  i would delete my Prepar3D_Default.fxml and my Prepar3D_Default.wx and let Prepar3D rebuild it,  Located here   Users ► you ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D

Still no go,   Delete your Prepar3D.cfg also in AppData ► Roaming 

Have you got the Migration tool installed? If so disable it or Uninstall it and try again,     this can cause multiple files in Appdata Roaming sometimes confusing things 

When you uninstall FSDT stuff, it does not necessarily remove the entries in the dll.xml.  So, when you are loading P3D, the first thing it looks for is the dll.xml and loads those entries.  If it does not see a module or the module is corrupted, it will crash.  So, move your dll.xml to a temporary folder and try it again.  The dll.xml is not needed but is is installed if you install things like the FSUIPC, PMDG stuff, FSDT stuff, etc.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ah although my p3d opens my addons for example ezdok, active sky, gsx and fsuipc are not working is there a way of adding them back to the dll.xml without screwing it up 

Im posting this from an IPhone, so excuse me.

Active sky next: Click on the Active Sky Next Icon on your desktop and it will automatically add the required entry into your dll.xml and exe.xml file. You might have to run the ASN simconnect located in your main ASN folder.

EZdok: Re run the EZdok configuration again and this will automatically add the entry into your exe.xml file, also if your having problems, Click into my profile and find the Ezdok Tutorial in there, you will find Tex you can copy and paste directly into your exe.xml file

Ah although my p3d opens my addons for example ezdok, active sky, gsx and fsuipc are not working is there a way of adding them back to the dll.xml without screwing it up 

A reliable way to ensure your P3D ALWAYS starts irrespective of potentially buggy add-ons is as follows...

Edit your "dll.xml" (the previous one that crashed P3D for instance)

For each section delimited by <LaunchAddon> and </LaunchAddon>, and here is our module as an example

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Multi Crew Experience</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>fsInsider.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>

To prevent our module automatically loading, you would just need to change <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> to <ManualLoad>True</ManualLoad>

For Items that don't have the line, simply add this line <ManualLoad>True</ManualLoad>

With this setup, P3D (or even FSX) will prompt before loading a specific dll.

You can then work-out which one is stalling the start-up process.

Sometimes re-ordering add-ons ( say add-on A2 before Add-on A1) in the loading sequence can get things going.

At the very least, this will save you considering re-installing the sim, and could also be used to selectively load stuff.

For instance, when intending to use either GSX (which uses bglmanx.dll) or AES (which relies on ViMaCoreX.dll) for a particular session, there is no need to load both.

Done its addon manager which is the issue

Before drawing the wrong conclusion, be aware there is another file called "exe.xml"

That one lists all external programs P3D (or FSX) attempts to launch before P3D starts.

Some of these programs need to have another dll run inside P3D (GSX & ASN to name a few), and if this doesn't happen, they could eventually throw up some error message, which could be wrongly interpreted as a bug.

For Add-on manager, the best course for action is to go to FsDreamteam forum.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/

Umberto is very active there, and he'll get it sorted one way or another (assuming it is the root cause).

Before drawing the wrong conclusion, be aware there is another file called "exe.xml"

Thanks for your help Gerald but think the OP knows this.  The OP indicated it was the add-on manager at fault.  Downloading the latest Standalone Addon Manager will fix this problem.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Done its addon manager which is the issue

That fix has been posted all over the internet for weeks, On the FSDT forum, the LM forum,  and on this forum ,and on Facebook . Surprised you haven't heard about it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

That fix has been posted all over the internet for weeks, On the FSDT forum, the LM forum,  and on this forum ,and on Facebook . Surprised you haven't heard about it. 

The fix for p3d closing randomly is all over the Internet?

Even so, members can post their issues here anytime and without other members getting upset because they posted an issue.  Please do not get upset if a member posts a question here in the future. 

Edited by Jim Young
removed signature violation warning as I was wrong

Submit News to AVSIM