Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

I was so ready to enjoy my Oculus Rift CV1 with Prepar3D

Only to reality has hit me right in the face, I can't get higher than 35 fps in VC view.  FlyInsider recommend a minimum of 45 fps to get any smooth movement.  So loaded my PMDG 777 and 737 only to find that's it stuttering like crazy. The Oculus ATW cannot keep up with the low frame rate.  So I guess I have to go back to space simulator (elite dangerous) for the time being.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I would be curious as to what your system specs are and a general idea of what settings you run

I would be curious as to what your system specs are and a general idea of what settings you run

I5-4670K / 16G Ram / MSI 980TI TwinFrozer / Windows 10

I5-4670K / 16G Ram / MSI 980TI TwinFrozer / Windows 10... And it won't run the new Oculus Rift Huh?

Well that's an eye-opener!

Cheers, or are they?

ChaS

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I5-4670K / 16G Ram / MSI 980TI TwinFrozer / Windows 10... And it won't run the new Oculus Rift Huh?

Well that's an eye-opener!

Cheers, or are they?

ChaS

I suspect Prepar3D or flysinde is the issue here. Even on the default plane, I can get 90fps when I am not in the rift. I get a maximum of 40fps If i'm lucky. Mostly in the in the 30s. Changing the graphic settings in Prepar3D doesn't seem to impact the result very much.

• Upvote 1

Hmmmmmm. Maybe it's time to revisit FSX-SE when my Plank-Owner Free Rift comes in ...

...or spend $1000 on a Rift compatible PC… but...

Would that mean that will be P3D compatible?

… Or sell my new Rift… Again....

Argggggggggggggg!

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Also I want to add there isn't enough resolution in the HMD to read most of the dial or panel. Being in the cockpit in 3D is a very cool feeling but that's about it.

...or spend $1000 on a Rift compatible PC… but...

$$$ will not help you here, as the problem is comparable to 3D: you need basically the doubled framerate to properly use the Rift. Even with a 10'000$ rig it would be difficult to have constantly more than 90 (2 x 45) FPS in Prepar3d or even FSX, unless you use really low settings. That's simply another reason why the flightsim community desperately needs a new engine, not those FSX engine adapted stuff like P3D and the coming Dovetail-Sim. Just as an comparison: with my 3770K and the 980Ti, I can play Battlefield and Battlefront with high settings on my 144Hz monitor with FPS ranging from 120 - 144, so those games would be also working with the Oculus Rift. In Project Cars, I easily have above 100FPS, even with almost max. settings. Same goes for other games, simply the old fashioned crappy FSX engine is not capable of delivering enough FPS with acceptable eye candy settings...

• Upvote 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

It was my fear that VR glasses such as Occulus Rift and/or P3D may not yet be compatible for a fluent flight experience in the VC. But let's hope that less demanding fps will be necessary with furture software/hardware updates to enjoy Virtual Reality glasses also in P3D.

I can maintain >100 fps in PMDG 737NGX when using default scenery. However, no way to maintain > 30 fps when on ground at EGLC and using Aerosoft London City.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

What FPS minimum do we need to be able to maintain in P3D without Rift, in order to know that a Rift would work stutter free? What would be the test setup for that so that we could test our systems before buying a Rift?

As mentioned, something around 45FPS would provide you a stutter-free experience. Problem: two images have to be rendered at the same time, means you basically need 90FPS. And this means 90FPS MINIMUM. Regarding the huge variations you usually get in the sim, you would probably need an average of above 100FPS to really enjoy stutter-free Rift gameplay...

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I can't afford to experiment with those displays. However, I might guess that Lockheed may be doing that. Using them in a training environment may be appropriate thus when they face the discussed limitations they may take steps to mitigate the flaws.

A counter approach is to return to old fashioned displays, but big 4k models with next to zero frames. If Lockheed decides that is the best way to train pilots then the Rift stuff may stagnate in a P3D setting.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

The BBC the other day was comparing all the VRs about to come on the market. Their conclusion was that only about 1% of PCs are powerful enough to run them smoothly. Let alone the problem of nausia after in some case twenty minutes. And apparently all of them are pixelated images. Meaning that there is much "reality!"

Prepar3D needs DX12. I ran more test last night. I was CPU bound. My GPU load was barely 41% while my CPU was working overtime. It's really the engine that is at fault here and not my setup.