Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

I was so ready to enjoy my Oculus Rift CV1 with Prepar3D

Also I want to add there isn't enough resolution in the HMD to read most of the dial or panel. Being in the cockpit in 3D is a very cool feeling but that's about it.

I've seen several successful or semi-successful attempts at fixing that problem on the original Rift..YouTube probably...https://flyinside-fsx.com/Account/Register , http://youtu.be/Kc7LOAeL45Y http://youtu.be/YD1NDjAleCM are several I've found so far....also check out the Rift with Leap motion to provide visual feedback of your hands.

cheers

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Performance of P3D's decrepit old engine and the resolution of the displays in the HMDs is why VR isn't really doable in P3D/FSX (unless running really low settings on default scenery.. which nobody ever does anymore)

We really, really need a shakeup in civilian sims... but that is for another thread.

• Upvote 1

I was holding back to buy a curved 4k monitor as I thought that I could jump in the VR boat in this year. Seems that we have to wait for better hardware until we can really use VR glasss with our sim.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

The BBC the other day was comparing all the VRs about to come on the market. Their conclusion was that only about 1% of PCs are powerful enough to run them smoothly. Let alone the problem of nausia after in some case twenty minutes. And apparently all of them are pixelated images. Meaning that there is much "reality!"

And not forgetting to mention the fact that getting 90 fps in P3D with all the popular addons is next to impossible even with a super rig.

I think VR is still quite enjoyable although you have to compromise on settings. The sense of presence and immersions is worth the change from a flat screen to VR. Even with the low resolution I prefer to fly with my DK2 than with a flat screen. I get about 40 fps with PMDG with add on airports and still very smooth. I think it depends on your expectations. Just recorded a couple of videos. One is a landing at Kai Tak and another for those who wonder how you see the world through one of the lenses.

To be honest the video doesnt do any justice to the real experience but you can get an idea of what VR is. We have to take into account that for a clear vision you need to hit the sweet spot which is difficult as I am holding my camera on one hand and the rift on the other. Secondly it is a DK2 which is a development kit. With the commercial version, aka CV1, the resolution is much better. Besides that flickering you see when looking outside doesnt really happen when you are wearing the googles. When you are looking through both lenses you get a sense of depth and presence. Your field of vision is completed surrounded which increases the immersion and makes you feel you are inside the cockpit. It is specially useful for circle to land approaches. I will not deny that it is still a long way to go but things are progressing fast. Make sure you watch the video on high resolution.

And not forgetting to mention the fact that getting 90 fps in P3D with all the popular addons is next to impossible even with a super rig.

Flyinside applied a technique called Asynchronous Time Warp which although you acnt reach 90 fps with the simulator you still have a smooth experience

I'm sorry Melchor but there is too much cons compare to the pro. and yes ATW helps but in this case, you need at least 40fps+ to get a smoother experience.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I'm sorry Melchor but there is too much cons compare to the pro. and yes ATW helps but in this case, you need at least 40fps+ to get a smoother experience.

So with even with ATW, the simulator needs to be running at 80fps minimum in order for us to even consider plugging in a rift? Is that it?

I get about 40 fps with PMDG with add on airports and still very smooth.

Thanks for the videos appreciate the effort. So that means you must have been getting at least 80fps with all your addons before you plugged in the Rift?

So with even with ATW, the simulator needs to be running at 80fps minimum in order for us to even consider plugging in a rift? Is that it?

Thanks for the videos appreciate the effort. So that means you must have been getting at least 80fps with all your addons before you plugged in the Rift?

Not really, as the developer of Flyinside made improvements for Prepar3d so it runs on high fps on VR similar to what I get before I plug the rift. I always adjust my settings to make sure I have at least 40 fps. In a few days when I have time I will upload another video where I can show my settings and fps on VR.

Well this is good news then. Since the beginning of flightsimming many years a go I have always locked at 20FPS and always had smooth flight. And that is with pmdg, activesky, airports, rex, photoscenery  My Rift is coming in July and I will be getting the new Nvidia Pascal card when it comes out. If it does not run smooth I won't be disappointed and move forward with new simulators that utilize the technology more efficiently.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

From my experience, it's not worth it. Prepar3D needs to be redone with DX12 engine. Twice as many draw calls to generate the stereoscopic view. my CPU was working overtime while my GPU was sitting idle at 41%. I'm going back to elite dangerous.

From my experience, it's not worth it. Prepar3D needs to be redone with DX12 engine. Twice as many draw calls to generate the stereoscopic view. my CPU was working overtime while my GPU was sitting idle at 41%. I'm going back to elite dangerous.

Hopefully DTG listen to us and consider VR as the future. They are still reticent to believe VR is going to succed. With their improved engine and 64bits VR is going to be better. They said they will be open to developers so hopefully Flyinside can integrate it into DTG flight Simulator.

Nott everyone flies the PMDG. I would say if you fly GA aircrafts on vfr its just perfect.

Hopefully DTG listen to us and consider VR as the future. They are still reticent to believe VR is going to succed. With their improved engine and 64bits VR is going to be better. They said they will be open to developers so hopefully Flyinside can integrate it into DTG flight Simulator.

Nott everyone flies the PMDG. I would say if you fly GA aircrafts on vfr its just perfect.

64 bits is important but not as much as asynchronous shaders. That's the key to next generation Flight Simulator.

From my experience, it's not worth it. Prepar3D needs to be redone with DX12 engine. Twice as many draw calls to generate the stereoscopic view. my CPU was working overtime while my GPU was sitting idle at 41%. I'm going back to elite dangerous

Your CPU is a I5-4670K isn't , is that significant? Have you OC'd it? Would it make any difference?

Are you are successfully running P3dv3/Oculus Rift CV1 (SDK 1.3)/FlyInside? Is ANYONE?

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2