Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Brighter terrain, darker cloud shadows - DONE!

I was searching for some shader tweaks, stumbled upon on some russian forum, and found this amazing tweak how to get brighter terrain and darker cloud/terrain shadows.

Dwm%202016-04-07%2013-19-17-52_zpsf2lnea

ATTENTION! This is for P3D v3.2! Not sure how will it work in older versions!

For all you that don't want to fiddle with shader files, you can download tweaked files here -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n0f364b4ecg42s/Shader%20Tweak.zip?dl=0

Copy both files to ..:\Prepar3D v3\ShadersHLSL\

GPUTerrain.fx is the most important file here! Cloud.fx is optional, and it will tweak the clouds to have more variety in shading, and they will appear a little more darker in dusk/dawn. 

Don't forget to backup original files!

Manual tweaking of GPUTerrain.fx:

open [Prepar3D]\ShadersHLSL\GPUTerrain.fx.

on line 720:

const float3 sunAmbient = cb_mLights[sUN_LIGHT].mAmbient.xyz * 0.1;

Add * 0.1 at the end, just before ; The smaller the coefficient, the darker the shadows are. 0.1 worked for me. I've tried 0.5 also, it was good also, but I like darker shadows (more realistic).

line 1013, shed further light on the illuminated areas:

const float3 finalSunColor = (sunAmbient + saturate(sunDiffuse * (sunContrib * 1.8f * shadowContrib)));// + pointLightsDiffuse);

add * 1.8f, the more the brighter terrain should be, I didn't experimented with other values, 1.8f is just right in my case.

Save the file. Delete the shader cache -> c:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Shaders\

Start the sim. You should probably adjust HDR Brightness to your liking, due to brighter terrain. Also take note that I was testing this with Bloom at 0 and HDR Brightness at 1.90.

I'm also using SweetFX to adjust contrast and hue, but I will leave that for you guys, since I'm seeing pretty different presets here and there, and some of them are pretty extreme imo.

---------------------

Video preview of the tweaks:

https://youtu.be/nd0Bzq3PFZI

---------------------

Thank you captains for you attention! I hope you will find these tweaks useful to make your sim visually more attractive. :)

• Upvote 4

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Hmmm. Interesting. Does that darken interior cockpit shadows as well? Presumably not if it's just GPUTerrain?

Thanks for posting this. You mention that you have Bloom set to 0. What happens if you set it to a higher number?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Hmmm. Interesting. Does that darken interior cockpit shadows as well? Presumably not if it's just GPUTerrain?

I think that cockpit shadows stayed untouched, didn't noticed the difference.

Thanks for posting this. You mention that you have Bloom set to 0. What happens if you set it to a higher number?

It will be probably too bright and the clouds will be burned I presume.

Try with Bloom set a some default values (0.70), but don't forget to lower HDR Brightness even more. 

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I tried your tweak.

0.7 - 0.8 it is more than enough as otherwise you will be flying in dusk with an overcast...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I tried your tweak.

0.7 - 0.8 it is more than enough as otherwise you will be flying in dusk with an overcast...

Dint't noticed any significant difference in dawn/dusk when testing and recording a preview video.

I tried your tweak.

Makes no sense to replace the var with a constant value for me personal ;-)

To add thanks for sharing.

André

Thanks for this.  I have a new computer on the way and will be moving into P3Dv3 so this might be something very useful.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I tried it and it is working and I leave it at *0.7 as otherwise scenery gets too dark with an overcast for my taste.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Well the video is combined with SweetFX, which to me is torture to use. No good tutorials anywhere. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Well the video is combined with SweetFX, which to me is torture to use. No good tutorials anywhere.

It will look good regardless, with or without sweetfx.

It will look good regardless, with or without sweetfx.

Tried it. Wasnt able to replicate the results of the video. 1.70 Brightness in HDR was way to much for me. I usually keep under 1 during daylight and lower at night. However, the ground shadows were prominent now so Im going to keep the tweak.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Nice!!! This along with HDR, combined with removal of the exposure adaption, which I'm still playing with, is a very good combination.

It will take some time to find the sweet spot, but this and the exposure lock tweak is getting close to what I've been seeking for quite some time.

Thanks Pe11e :)

It is constant regardless, default or tweaked. :)