Sign in to follow this  
jandjfrench

Converting FSX aircraft to Flight Tutorial?

Hi,

At the "Flight Toolkit" website I saw this in the Flight Toolkit 1.1.1 Change log:

"Changes:
– Added support for converting the FSX content to Microsoft Flight (see the tutorial, for instructions)"

As I couldn't locate a tutorial on the site and notification of broken links was requested, I emailed stonelance regarding this.  He replied that he had no recollection of a tutorial but there may have been one here or at FS Developer and suggested I enquire in the forums (funny, my spellcheck doesn't like enquire, tough!). 

Well I'm inquiring.

Jim F.

I have this saved in txt form but no idea who posted it. I cant get this forum to allow me to post or copy anything so not sure how to give it to you.

Also you should understand that this 'conversion' doesn't really work right (still alpha for sure) and even the piper cub, the only aircraft that converts 'out of the box' requires some graphics edits to work at all (the windshield is black because of the reflections). and of course it has no gauges either.

I will try to get something working so I can attach the txt to this post but its not an easy process, and the 'instructions' are not very clear.

Having said that I have managed to get a total of 4 aircraft to 'convert' with 2 more or less usable (I've tried several hundred :D ) 3 of these are default FSX or FS04 aircraft (Piper J3 Cub - Cessna 172 & Extra 300S) and one is the Dart Kitten II from Classic Wings. The Piper and Dart actually fly decent.

there is a post from me on the top of page 3 of this forum with more details (again I cant get copy to work  :L )

Also the Piper only worked with ver.1.15 not with the latest version of the toolkit

Edit:

As a temp Fix I thru the txt files in the last link on that page 3 post  :D   you will want to look thru both txt files in that folder.

FS-Tester on the fsdev forums is supposedly working on one.  He only has internet access once a week or so though, so his responses will be slow.  he is currently working on getting a fully functional version of one of the FSX aircraft.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.  I haven't checked out Airway's reply yet but will, and I'm in kind of a unique situation.  I didn't have much of a clue as to what was going on so I thought I'd try to document what I learn from that perspective.  I use a freeware program called MemPad to categorize  and save what I discover.  I've created a Flight Toolkit Category in my Flight section and am saving info that I've found in various posts and am currently working on a mini-tutorial for Flight Addon Builder.  Here's a picture that might help explain things:

Mempad1.jpg

For some reason the Flight Addon Builder is highlighted in the left column but the Snippet tool didn't capture this.

At this point I'm only working on the "- Repainting for use in GFWL mode" section and haven't gotten very far but you know what they say about long journeys.

And as I look this over I see that I should specify that the step I'm working on is for "repainting existing Flight aircraft",  And it looks like it might be a good idea to add various sub-categories for the different options available.  

I really like this MemPad program as you can open and close each section, add or remove sections and, perhaps best of all, never have to Save as it's automatic.  In forums (mainly FSX) I see the same questions repeatedly and if I've saved the answer I can just look it up, copy the info, and paste it in a reply.  And I often forget the answer so this helps in that respect.

Jim F.

There are tutorials for repainting on the Toolkit site, although they may be slightly out of date.  Not much has changed with the tools though since I wrote it.

Hi,

I thought I looked for it but now suspect that when I saw the title Addon Builder I didn't think repainting qualified as an addon.  When I looked at it now it seems I've mostly been replicating what's there.