Sign in to follow this  
castarr

Rescue needed, one of those Unhandled Exception Pop-ups

Folks,

I'll be as brief as possible:

A. I ran into some FS conflicts (my own stupidity) between Steam and my box version-so got "flabergasted" and started all over with box version first (Steam is pending)

B. Box version up and running and wanted to run my FX Fiber Accelerator (nested in ProgamFilesx86) as I have always done..with box version just to squeeze a "weebit" more Frame rates with my FSDT sceneries and others.

1. As FX Fiber Accelerator started to boot I got the ever familiar Net Framework pop up:  Unhandled exception in your application, If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to

run, If you click Quit the application will close etc. BUT there is more the pop up offered:  D\Steam\steamapps\FSX\\fsx.exe.    

2. FX Fiber Accelerator is looking for FS-Steam's executable in my D: drive (This is where I made the attempt to try Steam in different drive to see if it would provide better frame rate) 

I transfered the steamapps\FSX\\fsx.exe also...and realized..not a real good idea in hindsight) (I removed it out of there)

C.  My goal is to rid the pop-up and enjoy FX Fiber Accelerator ...the solution is  "Heck if I know" :-) I got myself into this mess...and hopefully my topic will trigger a thought..

1. Should i attempt to place Steam back on D drive? 

2. I don't even see a Net Framework in my list of programs in Control Panel (Did those Redistributals C++ 2013 take care of that?)

3. Attempted the Net Framework Clean up tool...Researched Forums: NO GOOD..(I was grabbing anything by this time...LOL)

D: Below are my pc specs: (Enjoying it for price I was able to afford..and FSX working nice...(yes had lots of backup files to re-enter)

Gateway Windows 8.1

Processor: Intel ® Core i3-3220 CPU@3.3Ghz

Installed Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB  5.87 usable

System type: 64bit Operating x64 based processor

Need a GURU

Respectfully,

Chris (wounded simmer) (just kidding)

Hello Chris,

1. An Exception is an error in the underlying framework that is running your program - in this case Microsoft .Net

2. You can't see the installatoin of .Net because it already is an integral part of your Windows system - check the "Windows Features", you will find it there (but don't do anything with it!)

3. The Exception is "unhandled" because the developer of the application that you are running omítted  "catching" it - probably because he did not imagine that this particular piece of his code could produce that kind of error.

4. It would be helpful to see the complete Exception message that you get.

5. The safest bet would be to uninstall and reinstall the Fiber Accelerator. Make sure that no config files or registry keys remain.

6. I don't know if you did - but don't just move Steam apps around. This can go horribly wrong. There are procedures to be followed for moving Steam content.

7. Edit: Check where your FSX:SE registry keys are pointing - maybe the "D:" path got stuck there.

LORBY-SI

I sure thank you for your reply....

I was very careful..with Uninstalling Steam...w/exception of me trying to use..D:Drive as a stand alone with Steamapps/Common/FSX (my bad mistake)

I'll ck for Registry keys..and then i will see  if Steam support can assist..if push comes to shove!

Respectfully,

Chris

Details of Unhandled Exception

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\\fsx.exe.

See the end of this message for details on invoking 

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\\fsx.exe
   at System.Diagnostics.FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo(String fileName)
   at A.d.A(Object , EventArgs )
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at DevExpress.XtraEditors.XtraForm.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at DevExpress.XtraEditors.XtraForm.WndProc(Message& msg)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.Ribbon.RibbonForm.WndProc(Message& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8009 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
FSX Fiber Accelerator
    Assembly Version: 1.3.9.0
    Win32 Version: 1.3.9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/FSPS/FSX%20Fiber%20Accelerator/FSX%20Fiber%20Accelerator.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.8007 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8009 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8015 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8019 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8012 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
FSX Fiber Accelerator64479624
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/FSPS/FSX%20Fiber%20Accelerator/FSX%20Fiber%20Accelerator.exe
DevExpress.XtraEditors.v12.2
    Assembly Version: 12.2.13.0
    Win32 Version: 12.2.13.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/FSPS/FSX%20Fiber%20Accelerator/DevExpress.XtraEditors.v12.2.DLL
DevExpress.XtraBars.v12.2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/FSPS/FSX%20Fiber%20Accelerator/DevExpress.XtraBars.v12.2.DLL
DevExpress.Utils.v12.2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/FSPS/FSX%20Fiber%20Accelerator/DevExpress.Utils.v12.2.DLL
DevExpress.Data.v12.2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/FSPS/FSX%20Fiber%20Accelerator/DevExpress.Data.v12.2.DLL
Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect
    Assembly Version: 10.0.61259.0
    Win32 Version: 10.0.61637.0 (FSX-Xpack.20070926-1421)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect/10.0.61259.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.dll
DevExpress.XtraGauges.v12.2.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/FSPS/FSX%20Fiber%20Accelerator/DevExpress.XtraGauges.v12.2.Core.DLL
DevExpress.XtraGauges.v12.2.Win
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/FSPS/FSX%20Fiber%20Accelerator/DevExpress.XtraGauges.v12.2.Win.DLL
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8018 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
FSUIPCClient
    Assembly Version: 2.3.4653.1
    Win32 Version: 2.3.4653.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/FSPS/FSX%20Fiber%20Accelerator/FSUIPCClient.DLL
msvcm80
    Assembly Version: 8.0.50727.8428
    Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.8428
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.8428_none_d08a11e2442dc25d/msvcm80.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

OK, what basically happens here is that the FiberAccelerator is trying to access the FSX.EXE which it thinks is the correct one - but the developer did not include error handling just in case that this file might not exist.

There are basically two options:

1. The FiberAccelerator has that path stored away somewhere in a config file of it's own or a registry key. This is where reinstalling the thing might help

2. The FiberAccelerator reads the path at runtime from your FSX registry key and that path is simply wrong. If that is the case, then other programs working with FSX (installers mostly) will be in trouble too.

Solutions:

1. Try reinstalling the Fiber Accel and hope that it asks you for the path to your fsx.exe. I think I have that FiberAccel too somewhere, will check it out later.

2. The registry key that you are looking for is one of these:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Dovetail Games\FSX\10.0\Install_Path

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432node\Dovetail Games\FSX\10.0\Install_Path

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0\AppPath

(Which one it is depends on your type of OS and installation: 32/64 bit Windows, dual FSX & FSX:SE or SE standalone)

Just open regedit and navigate through the tree view until you find it - check what it says where your FSX is supposed to be and edit it if necessary.

LORBY-SI

Thanks for the tips and instructions.....

I uninstalled the Fiber Accelerator..and reinstalled..unfortunately did not ask for the fsx.exe..

It usually installs on C\Programx86\FSPS\FiberAccel...

Found in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE references to Dovetail..however no FSX\10 Install Path..just a "default" reference

MY current box version is set up properly according to REG KEY info...

Found NO STEAM reference at all...

And you are so right..Fiber Accelerator looking for the executable in D\Drive..but it's not there..

How can i configure Fiber Accelerator to look elsewhere for the correct FSX.exe..that's in Programfilex86/Microsoft\Microsoft Games\FSX etc....(Ugh...this wondrous technology) :-)

Regards,

Chris

If you don't have a default path, and if after resinstalling it, the Fiber Accel is still looking in the wrong place, then I suspect the tool has not been completely uninstalled. There has to be a config file or registry entry somewhere.

1. Check with regedit if you can find the complete "D:..." path string in the registry. You might have to replace the separators with "/" or even "\\" but it is worth a try

2. Check ProgramData and AppData for remnants of the Fiber Accelerator before and after you uninstall it.

3. Make sure that you that you have at least one correct registry path for FSX, be it Dovetail or Microsoft. AFAIK there are registry fixer tools for FSX (Flight 1?).

LORBY-SI

Ok..good news..i hope...i've located the Appath..to FSX-Steam D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX..in HKEY USERS...I don't even have Steam..on my PC..it's just in the registry..tree....

I am so...jittery..on this stuff....Shall I delete..this appath!! at this locale???--------I don't even want to see...Steam...at the moment....anywhere on my PC...(but i'll give them a 2nd chance later) :-)

I am assuming if deleted...my FS Fiber Accelerator..will find my fsx.cfg...in C:Drive..

Let me know...if i should just knock it out!

Getting closer to resolve..i hope!

Chris

What key is this exactly? Does it belong to the Fiber Accelerator or is it from Dovetail/Microsoft?

First thing I would try is to change that registry key's value to the correct FSX path on your system. Then see what happens.

If you want to delete it, you can export the key to a registry file, regedit has a function for this (just as a backup). Then remove it, by first emptying the value (=remove the path), and if that does not help, remove the whole key.

But you should be careful with that. Correct action depends on the type of the key. If it is the original Microsoft or Dovetail registry entry, you should try the registry fixer tool from Flight 1 first.

LORBY-SI

It shows as follows:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MICROSOFT GAMES\FLIGHT SIMULATOR-STEAM EDITION\10.0\(Default) REG_SZ (no value set) & AppPath  REG_SZ  D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX====That is where it's located..no references to FS Fiber Accelerator in this tree set...OR Dovetail..

Oooweee..getting closer to the solve..and yes...look at the above..and i'll get it gone...I should be ok...that's the only thing..the FSUIPC log found it and hopefully that's the fly in the ointment!

Respectfully,

Chris

EUREKA!!!!!!  Happy Dancing! FX Accelerator..back in business...(reactivated serial number etc..and is working just fine)

NO UNHANDLED EXCEPTION appeared...! 

I hunted and hunted..and located the culprit..in the Registry Keys...as you suggested..i overlooked it probably..10 times...until it was caught...

I just renamed the AppPath to Apppathback..too scared to delete...LOL....

So grateful...for the expertise..and help...makes this old simmer...ready to fly! and enjoy it even more!

Could not make it without ya! (well...at least in simworld...

So thankful,

Sincerely,

Chris

You're welcome.

Write the name of the key down somewhere, just in case. If it really is your FSX reg entry, it would be better to correct the value to your actual FSX path instead of deactivating the key. The next installer that you use might not find FSX now, and ask you for the location. In the case that you have other "location trouble", you should reactivate the key and change the value to your actual FSX path (this is what that F1 registry fixer tool does too)

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Thanks for that tip..what I saw in my HKEY_CURRENT_USER's tree under the Software section were a Path for Microsoft FSX AND Microsoft FSX Steam (I had uninstalled the Steam program earlier.. after..i piddled with the Steam\steamapps\common\FSX and experimented with moving that to D\drive..[.boy did i muddy the water.]   Then was thinking i just start over..and get my boxed version fine tuned..and perhaps try FSX Steam later..but when i executed the FX FiberAccelerator..that Unhandled Exception message popped-up..until you helped me figure out where the problem..was..

All is working now...i have not altered...anything in the tree..other than rename..that AppPath..for the FSX Steam..(AppPathback) 

I sure thank you...for helping me keep it going!

Chris