Sign in to follow this  
uk-plane1

Scenery CFG

Hi when i am not using scenery for a current flight should i

a: delete it from scenery library then re-add when its needed?

OR

b: click the tick so it goes away and is inactive but still in the scenery library?

Does option b increase fsx loading times?

B

No

Whatever you do, don't disable FSDT or Flightbeam airports when your not flying between them as its not necessary.

Frankly, the only things scenery wise you need to be careful of due to VAS is photoscenery and vector based programs like UTX or ORBX Vector.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

B

No

Whatever you do, don't disable FSDT or Flightbeam airports when your not flying between them as its not necessary.

Frankly, the only things scenery wise you need to be careful of due to VAS is photoscenery and vector based programs like UTX or ORBX Vector.

Why not disable those airports if you're not using them or far away?

surely that increase load time and decrease fps?

Why not disable those airports if you're not using them or far away?

surely that increase load time and decrease fps?

Two reasons.

Because they are controlled by the Couatl scripting engine those airports will only load into memory when you are around 10 miles of them and they will also unload when you pass them going the other direction.

Secondly, if you untick an FSDT or Flightbeam airport, the next time you start FSX and reenable on of those airports to use, after you retick it, you will have to restart FSX again or you'll get missing buildings at the airport.

As I mentioned before, photoreal scenery and to some extent vector programs and ORBX regions can cause more VAS load.

Most regular add on airports can stay ticked all the time and will not load until your near them, but photoreal scenery will always load if enabled no matter how far away you are from it.

What about load time? and i am not talking about FSDT airports...

Generally speaking airports don't affect load times very much. The main effects of long load times are huge amounts of photoscenery and AI traffic.

If your running FSX and its addons on an SSD or 10000 RPM mechanical drive, then load times with photoscenery turned off and even a large amount of AI installed shouldn't be too long.

Of course, there is a cumulative effect with FSX that the more you install the longer the load times might be. My suggestion would be to just try unchecking all the airports you don't use for a flight and test it, then try the same thing but with all the airports checked and see if it makes much difference.

If you run Process Monitor (setup guidance in the AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature), you will find that all of your addon airports will not load unless you are near them.  So, if you have an FSDT airport in Las Vegas and you are flying around in Denver, the airport in Vegas will not load.  Just those that are basically in, I think, a 100 mile radius of your aircraft.  I never disable any of my payware airports. 

Any .bgl file in the scenery/world/scenery directory will load though and sometimes, Orbx puts some .bgl's in that file.  It's one file where you might want to review once in a while to see what is in there.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Because they are controlled by the Couatl scripting engine those airports will only load into memory when you are around 10 miles of them

Hey Jim,

Isn't the 10 mile radius a function of FSX rather than Couatl?  It happens with all the payware airports that I have regardless of the developer.

Also, when the airport unloads, isn't the amount of VAS that was taken also still there?  It was my understanding that the unloading was only visual, but I have to say that I've not looked at that in several years.

One other thing which is very problematic with FSDT and Flightbeam airports is that if you disable them, you have to jump though several hoops to get the terminal buildings to load after re-enabling the airports.

Thanks very much for your time.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

It should also be noted that if you have FTX Global Vector installed you should run its configuration utility each time you disable/enable an airport.

Ernest Pergrem

i have vector installed but i don't but a tick in it apart from the bottom one ( i think elevation ) , i only use vector on vfr , flights ,sunny days or poor scenery areas.

vector detroys my loading time , any way to fix this?

Everytime i delete a scenery when i check scenery cfg the bottom entries look a bit wrong like layer number e.t.c :((