Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Guide to building a PC?

Hi all,

Been a long time since I got under the hood, and even then, it was basic stuff... I've never built from scratch exactly, and there are MANY more options now.

Can anyone recommend a guide that would be a good reference as to "putting all the pieces together" ?

thanks-

Andrew

Putting them together is the easy bit. Selecting the right bits is crucial.

I would recommend the guides of NickN on simforums.com

Here is a taste of what I have achieved following his guides:

Follows NickN's Guides. IMO the very best Build and optimization guide for FSX Available :-)

And if you using P3D its easier because nearly all the stuff in the guides that applies to FSX does not apply to Prepared3D V2 or V3.

Follows NickN's Guides. IMO the very best Build and optimization guide for FSX Available :-)

Maybe once. But always way over the top.

Best advice is to keep it simple. His guides were never that. Jam packed with lots of unnecessary steps.

yeah that's why you will see lots of comments on my YouTube channel from many simmers saying 'Wow, my hardware is the same or better than yours but your performance is far better than mine!'

yeah that's why you will see lots of comments on my YouTube channel from many simmers saying 'Wow, my hardware is the same or better than yours but your performance is far better than mine!'

Read what I said though. I said "over the top" I didn't say that none of his advice was valid.

And how many of those settings and tweaks and procedures were responsible for the superior performance of your hardware? All of them? Five? Six? Eight?... As I said, way over the top.  [in my opinion]. I'm not alone in my opinion.  And I should mention that I get better performance than many too... without his very involved tweaking regime he calls "his bible".

He has served the flight sim community well of course, for that I am thankful. This is my opinion, feel free to reject it.

The important thing is that you are happy with the advice in his "bible" so all is well.

And how many of those settings and tweaks and procedures were responsible for the superior performance of your hardware? All of them? Five? Six? Eight?... As I said, way over the top.  [in my opinion]. I'm not alone in my opinion.  And I should mention that I get better performance than many too... without his very involved tweaking regime he calls "his bible".

He has served the flight sim community well of course, for that I am thankful. This is my opinion, feel free to reject it.

I followed his "bible" and also believe that some steps are way over the top.

It's fair to say however that following his guide won't do any harm (at least to me it didn't), and also that there are many very useful tips, particularly regarding the user's approach to installing add-ons and keeping some discipline (no "drunken-sailor" kind of massive add-on installer). To use at the reader's discretion...

Also the guide is some years old and things might have evolved.

That said, do you know of any alternative guide for starting from scratch? :)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I followed his "bible" and also believe that some steps are way over the top.

It's fair to say however that following his guide won't do any harm (at least to me it didn't), and also that there are many very useful tips, particularly regarding the user's approach to installing add-ons and keeping some discipline (no "drunken-sailor" kind of massive add-on installer). To use at the reader's discretion...

Also the guide is some years old and things might have evolved.

That said, do you know of any alternative guide for starting from scratch? :)

Yep pretty much agree with that. And yes, true in terms of the "bible" of his being outdated and not covering the latest hardware.

The "harm" if you can call it that is terms of time wasted on many of the steps that are not necessary.

Hi Martin,

Any recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a guide 

To be honest, I'm not so sure a "how to build" guide is that important. When I first built, I didn't read any "specific" step by step guide. I researched from many sources. I researched what particular hardware suited my needs, looked at reviews of that hardware, learnt about the capabilities of the hardware, the requirements for that hardware. It was more of an eclectic approach for me. Reviews, articles, magazines like "Custom PC" here in the UK. Videos etc.

In addition to the above, when it comes time to build, you will find the motherboard manual tells you pretty much everything you need to know in regard to assembly.

The problem with a guide is that it doesn't give you a very broad understanding. So it should be combined with your own research. I have to say though, you don't need to go mad, it isn't that hard. And there's always help here if you get stuck.

For a start [just as part of a broader approach] try...

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/08/build-a-pc-630-z170-gaming-build-6600k-gtx-950/

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/08/10-things-you-should-should-not-do-when-building-a-pc/

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/08/all-things-asus-z170-skylake-platform-overviews-build-guides-overclocking-more/

• Upvote 1

I think of a guide as that - not just instructions, but something that is made to help you understand not only what parts you have to choose from, but why. A bonus is when the tradeoffs (where they may exist) are discussed, e.g. why a certain graphics card may be great but not ideal if you use addons that depend on "x".

Thanks for the info Martin!

Go to https://pcpartpicker.com. I recommend choosing your parts in the following order:

1) CPU (6700K is probably the best choice right now)

2) Case (something like a Fractal Design Define S is fairly compact and gives you plenty of room to work)

3) Motherboard (needs to match your CPU and the form factor of your case)

4) RAM (make sure whatever the exact model of RAM you choose has been tested with your exact model of motherboard)

5) CPU cooler (AIO liquid coolers are effective and simple to install)

6) PSU (a modular cable design will make your life easier)

7) Everything else

The ASUS build guides on YouTube are excellent. PC Part Picker also has a YouTube channel where they do complete builds: https://www.youtube.com/user/pcpartpicker/videos

I would search for topic# 486577 in the P3d sub forum here on Avsim for some good sim component recommendations.

You don't mention which sim you would be selecting so hard to give some specifics but this should help.

if you decide for a 64 bit sim more RAM will likely be needed.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!