Sign in to follow this  
drewsaw2

DX10 performing poorly

Unless I'm reading his post incorrectly, I have to disagree with Jim about highmemfix.

I apologize.  I did not make myself clear.  I stated you should not install a tweak and I indicated the highmemfix=1 is not a tweak.  So, yes, fixes should be installed.  Tweaks should not be installed.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The highmemfix=1 fix, depends on whether you have FSX-MS or FSX-SE, If it's FSX-MS it is definitely needed DX9 or DX10, if you use FSX-SE though, it's now built into the base code, so that line is no longer needed. Generally FSX-SE also performs better in DX10  then it does in FSX-MS. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Let me start with, Jim is correct in my opinion, the less tweaks the better. I just really, really wish people would quit chasing the FPS tail. FPS means nothing in FSX, it is "Fluidity" you are looking for. I am getting fluid frame rates as low as 13 FPS at times. Forget FPS, concentrate on fluid frames. 

• Upvote 3

@ Speirs

you are right with that, I have 20 FPS average with PMDG planes in cruise and around 15 near big cities. but it runs fluid so thats OK for me. But to archieve this, I definitely had to set a bufferpool and affinitymask entry as well as calculate and enter the correct texture data values for my GPU. With everything on default I'd run a slideshow....

These are my only tweaks and I applied them because I read a convincing explanation by someone who seemed like he know what he is talking about. ;) I wouldn't recommend throwing in stuff randomly....

But to archieve this, I definitely had to set a bufferpool and affinitymask entry as well as calculate and enter the correct texture data values for my GPU. With everything on default I'd run a slideshow....

Another first!  With everything at default, I was running FSX well over 200 fps and sometimes near 300 fps depending on the view I had.  It got better with GEX installed as that program replaced the default scenery with optimized textures.  Then I added payware scenery and aircraft and things went south fast!  I think if there was a tweak that really worked well, everyone would have it installed, me included.  I've tried those tweaks and they cause anomalies such as stuttering and crashes.  You are not going to enjoy this game if you have your settings set to max and you have to use tweaks like the bufferpool and affinitymask to make it work.  Slideshows occur with high settings and not a very good computer system.  FSX uses a lot of resources when the engine has to power external scenery, weather and aircraft as it has been proven it works well in default mode with default aircraft, scenery and settings.

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

@ Speirs

you are right with that, I have 20 FPS average with PMDG planes in cruise and around 15 near big cities. but it runs fluid so thats OK for me. But to archieve this, I definitely had to set a bufferpool and affinitymask entry as well as calculate and enter the correct texture data values for my GPU. With everything on default I'd run a slideshow....

These are my only tweaks and I applied them because I read a convincing explanation by someone who seemed like he know what he is talking about. ;) I wouldn't recommend throwing in stuff randomly....

There is a place for buffer pools when there is a gross differential between CPU and GPU. I cured mine by replacing my GPU with a GTX 680, no more buffer pool needed.

Another first!  With everything at default, I was running FSX well over 200 fps and sometimes near 300 fps depending on the view I had.  It got better with GEX installed as that program replaced the default scenery with optimized textures.  Then I added payware scenery and aircraft and things went south fast!  I think if there was a tweak that really worked well, everyone would have it installed, me included.  I've tried those tweaks and they cause anomalies such as stuttering and crashes.  You are not going to enjoy this game if you have your settings set to max and you have to use tweaks like the bufferpool and affinitymask to make it work.  Slideshows occur with high settings and not a very good computer system.  FSX uses a lot of resources when the engine has to power external scenery, weather and aircraft as it has been proven it works well in default mode with default aircraft, scenery and settings.

Jim, I guess we are following different philosophys in this. No doubt about using factory settings is a failsafe way of running FSX. But seriously, I grew tired of chasing the newest hardware to make a 2006 sim run good at my system. Back in 2011 I built my current rig and it was considered high-end by then. It still required the twaking recommended here in the forums to make FSX run good. Now, 5 years on, if current high-end systems render tweaking obsolete, thats fine. But it won't make me remove my tweaks or stop me from recommending them if I see it fit, because they work fine for me and I simply lack the financial background of building a new PC all over. If those tweaks enable me to run FSX on almost-max settings, I see no problem in running them. When someone experiences issues with my recommendation, he is free not to use them. Again: on my system, with my tweaks and settings, I never have FSX related crashes.

There is a place for buffer pools when there is a gross differential between CPU and GPU. I cured mine by replacing my GPU with a GTX 680, no more buffer pool needed.

Thats the sweet spot you need to find when using. I used Poolsize=0 all the time in DX9 but that turned out to cause stutters in DX10 because my GPU had more to do. After some testing I found out that using the smallest preset in SteveFX's cfg-Editor for both Bufferpools and RT gives me best results and relieves the GPU from some work. Thats on a 560ti, if I get my hand on a 970 some day, its very well possible I dont need that anymore.

Another first!  With everything at default, I was running FSX well over 200 fps and sometimes near 300 fps depending on the view I had...

Wow, I have nearly the same setup (different monitor) and out of the box FSX got no where close to 300 fps. 150ish yes, but solid 200s with peaks to 300s, no. Even with GEX textures installed I never saw my frames go that high. Must be those Dell monitors.  :wink:

Wow, I have nearly the same setup (different monitor) and out of the box FSX got no where close to 300 fps. 150ish yes, but solid 200s with peaks to 300s, no. Even with GEX textures installed I never saw my frames go that high. Must be those Dell monitors.  :wink:

Somewhere in these forums I showed the proof.  I suspect I can try to do it again even though I have tons of addons by just returning my FSX back to the default.  I will provide a FSUIPC4.log when I have it done.

Jim, I guess we are following different philosophys in this. No doubt about using factory settings is a failsafe way of running FSX. But seriously, I grew tired of chasing the newest hardware to make a 2006 sim run good at my system. Back in 2011 I built my current rig and it was considered high-end by then. It still required the twaking recommended here in the forums to make FSX run good. Now, 5 years on, if current high-end systems render tweaking obsolete, thats fine. But it won't make me remove my tweaks or stop me from recommending them if I see it fit, because they work fine for me and I simply lack the financial background of building a new PC all over. If those tweaks enable me to run FSX on almost-max settings, I see no problem in running them. When someone experiences issues with my recommendation, he is free not to use them. Again: on my system, with my tweaks and settings, I never have FSX related crashes.

Well stated.  Max settings will not give you the best graphics and performance though no matter how many tweaks are installed.  Just too much eye-candy and you have to let FSX "breathe" and not trying to render 4096 textures all over the place.  Bottom line though, if you're happy, we're happy.  If you have no crashes and no stuttering, then that's awesome!  I personally have no problems with occasional stutters or other anomalies as long as it's just 'occasional'.  My goal is to have a semi-realistic takeoff and landing without a freeze or crash.  It hurts me the most when I take off, have a great flight and then come in for a landing and my system is fighting for resources and I hope the aircraft can land and I can use my other eye-candy stuff like taxiing to a gate and being able to shutdown the aircraft properly, and use GSX to off-load the baggage for my virtual passengers. 

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

Somewhere in these forums I showed the proof. I suspect I can try to do it again even though I have tons of addons by just returning my FSX back to the default. I will provide a FSUIPC4.log when I have it done.

Okay, I was able to get FSX back to the default settings (had to remove all those nasty .dlls from addons in the main FSX folder too or they would have loaded).  So, here's FSX at the default sitting at the active at KLAS

FPS_with_FSX_Acceleration.png

It went a bit higher as it was fluctuating between 150 and over 200 fps but this was the best reading I could get.

I then installed GEX which replaces the default textures and the best I could get was 262 fps.  It was fluctuating higher but capturing it at a higher reading was difficult.  Still it shows at least 262 fps.

FPS_with_FSX_Acceleration_with_GEX.png

Like I said, installing eye-candy type addons will dramatically drop these fps and they get worse and worse.  This is why you need to moderate your sliders.

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

That was far more dedication to chasing fps then I meant to imply. I was simply stating I am unable to replicate your results with the same hardware so there has to be more then just hardware that is part of the solution. I was being tongue in cheek about the Dell monitors. 

Whenever anyone questions my honesty and integrity, I have to take appropriate action.  There was nothing in your comments that implied it was tongue in cheek. 

Submit News to AVSIM

I truly apologize for that. I never meant to question anyone's honesty or integrity. I should have ensured what I wrote came across as what I meant in this case and that is I am unable to replicate with the same hardware, thus there must be more then hardware at work here. OS, drivers, antivirus ect must have something to do with ultimate fps. 

I appreciate you taking time to repeat this as I have never seen FS with fps that high. 

• Upvote 1

Another first! With everything at default, I was running FSX well over 200 fps and sometimes near 300 fps depending on the view I had. It got better with GEX installed as that program replaced the default scenery with optimized textures. Then I added payware scenery and aircraft and things went south fast! I think if there was a tweak that really worked well, everyone would have it installed, me included. I've tried those tweaks and they cause anomalies such as stuttering and crashes. You are not going to enjoy this game if you have your settings set to max and you have to use tweaks like the bufferpool and affinitymask to make it work. Slideshows occur with high settings and not a very good computer system. FSX uses a lot of resources when the engine has to power external scenery, weather and aircraft as it has been proven it works well in default mode with default aircraft, scenery and settings.

Can i even ask how you were able to get 200 to 300 fps on a vanilla fsx? The highest i get on the default ultralight at friday harbor after a new installation is 130fps possibly 150. Im trying to see how you can 200 or 300 cuz that would mean theres something highly wrong with my computer then. I have a i7 4790k and gtx 970 so i dont have a weak system

Can i even ask how you were able to get 200 to 300 fps on a vanilla fsx? The highest i get on the default ultralight at friday harbor after a new installation is 130fps possibly 150. Im trying to see how you can 200 or 300 cuz that would mean theres something highly wrong with my computer then. I have a i7 4790k and gtx 970 so i dont have a weak system

Did you see my post #25?  The only thing I changed in my FSX settings was the resolution setting as it always has a problem detecting my monitor's display.  Make sure your display driver settings for your card are at the default as modifying them destroys fps too.  My proof is in the pictures. 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM