Sign in to follow this  
bernd1151

A small Papua adventure

We have left Port Moresby's Jacksons Intern. early in the morning for a flight into the highlands of PNG. A few government officials needed transport for a “how can I increase my votes” mission. Naturally the trip is paid by the government and naturally these guys do not settle with an ordinary Caravan, they insisted on the executive version.

We are already well into the flight and prepare for our first stop over, Tapini.

1.jpg

The most important thing now is to find the goat trail on our right side, because that one will guide us to find the correct path into the airstrip. And we are too slow for that approach

2.jpg

Aaah, here we go. Unfortunately there is no time to marvel at the small water falls to the left. Maybe another time

3.jpg

Don’t get excited boys. There is worse to come. You haven’t been to Yongai yet

4.jpg

5.jpg

Nope, the rooster is here to stay. He’s needed for breeding

6.jpg

And off we go again, hold on tight

7.jpg

8.jpg

I hope you guys enjoy yourselves

9.jpg

Ok, and here comes the dull part: Yongai. First of all, we are on the wrong approach path. Yikes

10.jpg

Ok, one more time

11.jpg

If you want, you can start your prayers NOW!

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

You liked my flying? Oh, thank you sir. It’s all in a day’s work. Tips? Well…no, no, I don’t take coins

16.jpg

• Upvote 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Watched this interesting one hour UTube video re: Young British guys in their 20's going to Papua to get flying experience in the Pilatus. (and risking their lives on really short, crude runways) so they can one day return to the UK and fly for the big commercial airlines...

(Don't have the URL for the video). 

Very nice....love those shots!

HLJAMES

Thank you very much, gents 

Watched this interesting one hour UTube video re: Young British guys in their 20's going to Papua to get flying experience in the Pilatus. (and risking their lives on really short, crude runways) so they can one day return to the UK and fly for the big commercial airlines...

(Don't have the URL for the video). 

I know, which series you mean. There are four episodes on youtube and I watched them all. It's called: "The worst place to be a pilot". Really cool stuff. I don't live in the UK, so unfortunately I can't see more of them.

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

I'm not a Brit either ('cause I was  born in the USA) :wink:  I discovered that particular video by accident looking for something else.  But your adventure looks so much like the video - it's amazing (including even the rooster).  The actual "runways" in the mountains of Papua are the scariest thing I can image trying to land on.  Those pilots have to have nerves of steel + plus a quart of adrenalin running thru their blood... 

Gorgeous!!! :smile: 

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It's mucho appreciated

Hi Bernd,

if there will be any "votes" in PNG (or weren't there any votes recently???), I will follow this event with interest. Great story!

Regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Thank you very much Harald and BasementFlyGuy

That is a great package and really challenging, if you put the weather condition on the top of it.

Been hired by Susi Air an incredible business woman, it's like risky your life to rank hour and experience.

I invite all to watch also the Bush pilot series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN-SUSVHljI

I hope they can do also do this package so we can enjoy safari flying

I have seen other series about the freight dog around the world on scary places but I can't find the video.

Thanks guys. I have seen the Bush Pilots series too, very nice stuff. But the resolution on youtube is unfortunately pretty low, so watching it on a bigger screen isn't too much fun unfortunately