Sign in to follow this  
andreadebiase

PMDG 737 on AMD ok?

Need a new rig specifically for FSX and the 737NGX, perhaps P3D down the road...will see. Is anyone flying on a AMD FX8350 processor (which is half the price of an i7) and does it work fine? i know Intel is better but...is it worth the extra $150?

thanks

Andrea De Biase

A major reason my new box is built around the i7-6700K is for the DDR4 memory.  I'm not even running it at the rated speed of 3300MHz yet and I'm already getting 80 fps in the NGX Virtual Cockpit with all sliders to the right. I need to make a few "shake-down" flights with my new build before I start pushing it, and the Corsair H115 water cooler is going to get used.

If you don't overclock you can save by getting the locked version (i7-6700 without K) at pretty good pricing.

Dan Downs KCRP

you are right, i am not an overclocker type of guy although i know how to..i'll check on the non K version as you said, also i realized that the AMD i had in mind doesn't have integrated graphics which meas i would need a graphic card which means that i might as well go with Intel that has integrated graphics. This brings me to the next question, do you think a video card (non integrated garaphic acrd) is really needed for FSX? i always thought that the integrated graphics is plenty for FSX but not sure

you are right, i am not an overclocker type of guy although i know how to..i'll check on the non K version as you said, also i realized that the AMD i had in mind doesn't have integrated graphics which meas i would need a graphic card which means that i might as well go with Intel that has integrated graphics. This brings me to the next question, do you think a video card (non integrated garaphic acrd) is really needed for FSX? i always thought that the integrated graphics is plenty for FSX but not sure

Full names required in all forum posts.

Yes a dedicated video card is required for FSX. See the PMDG minimum specifications to get an idea.

This brings me to the next question, do you think a video card (non integrated garaphic acrd) is really needed for FSX? i always thought that the integrated graphics is plenty for FSX but not sure

I can run FSX on an older Macbook Air.  It has an integrated graphics card... HD4000 I think.  It runs, but the sliders are full left basically.

If you can wait a few months, Nvidia will be releasing Pascal.  If it lives up to the hype, it will be a big deal.

Then there is Kaby Lake coming out in the 3rd quarter.

I tried several "bigger and better" AMDs with varying results on FSX, but with the NGX, it's such a complex simulation that i would always wind up with 18 stuttering frames per second at a big airport with all the sliders to the left.

I finally broke down and spent about $400 to get a low end Intel mb and processor. I'm now getting smooth simulation with at least 49fps with sliders to the right at even Atlanta.

AMD is great value, but to push the NGX, i found that the money was close to the same.

John Anderson

Windows 10, FSX:SE

I5 4690k

GA-Z97M-DS3H

EVGA GTX 950, 2GB

Full names required in all forum posts.

Yes a dedicated video card is required for FSX. See the PMDG minimum specifications to get an idea.

Well, now i am running it off a Latitude E6440, i5 2.5GHz with 16Gb of RAM, I dont think has a dedicated video card and is pretty good. However i do agree that a dedicated video card can only improve things