Sign in to follow this  
brianbash

I'm a victim of the nVidia driver beast.

This post is to voice my most recent experience regarding the issues some have been having with the new drivers.

The reboot needed to complete driver installation was the last my i7-5930K would have. Power cycling began, would never post to windows or even DOS. It would freeze and reboot at different times. Every blue moon, it would tease me with the windows sign-in screen, so I would try to enter my password...hah! Reboot. Even after replacing the motherboard, PSU, ram, video card, pulled all the hard drives to get to BIOS only, it still wouldn't get to windows. I was exhausted and knew the dreaded had occurred. After dropping it to the wonderful tech personnel at Fry's for diagnostic tests, my fears were confirmed. My i7-5930K had lost a core. I purchased another and am currently back home repairing my gigantic P3D install. I have switched sides and will remain with Team Red from now on. One thing I noticed from my first glance with my new Fury X is that the famous anti-aliasing shimmer had died with my CPU. Good Riddance!  :Tounge:

Sure, it could be an extremely odd coincidence it happend when it did, but nonetheless I feel it needs to be spoken for.

Blue Side Up gentlemen.

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

I really don't think a GFX driver would kill your CPU. How OCd was it?

Agreed.  As a former hardware computer engineer, I just don't see how this is possible and I overclocking as well (or an unstable core at purchase that finally went).

Was it core 0?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Definitely something off here. Really don't see how a GPU could kill a CPU in that manner.

if anything, a bad driver would eat the GPU or just corrupt files but in  no way would it blow a core on the CPU. Something else happened.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I really don't think a GFX driver would kill your CPU.  How OCd was it?

No OC'ing done by me. I stay away from doing that. This is also my SoundGrid server for my production work so it's vital that I keep things stock and stable. I'm not saying that it was 100% the driver, I'm just saying it's an extremely odd coincidence and wanted to share what had happend. Is there any power connection between the GPU and CPU that could cause something like this? Either way, my system didn't want to go into windows and maybe in my troubleshooting rage I killed the CPU somehow.

Oh well, I was told that Intel is a great company when it comes to RMA situations and the fact that I got the processor less than 2 months ago may be enough for them to fix the situation I have had.

Was it core 0?

Not sure, I was told a core was gone but thats it. Thank you for the insight though, I will ask which core is bad in the future if I have to.

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

Often times when Windows gets close to booting or actually does boot and then crashes/reboots it can be a bad stick of ram. Upgrading your VC driver and having a bad ram is certainly quite a coincidence but it's worth a try. Hopefully you know the drill, i.e: remove all but one stick of ram, boot, try again,...etc

W10 Pro,   Maximus XI Hero Z390,   i9-9900K@5.0G, Air,   1000 Watt PSU,   G.SKILL RipJaw-V 32GB,   2-RTX2080-Ti's,   Samsung 970 PRO 512GB,   Couple More SSD's,    2-Vast Curved 3440X1440,    2-Asus 27" flats,                 .......Everything MAXED!

Oh well, I was told that Intel is a great company when it comes to RMA situations and the fact that I got the processor less than 2 months ago may be enough for them to fix the situation I have had.

They certainly will "fix the situation" if the CPU is defective. You will get a replacement. It's a three year warranty.

I would say make sure you update the motherboard BIOS, as a corrupted BIOS can lose a core... but you say you've replaced the motherboard.

I think it'd be more likely to be a power supply issue with the re-booting than a software driver....

Jason Jackett

Could be, I had a PSU issue that caused re-booting.

OP should check all power cables. Check they are properly seated. And very importantly, check the ATX connector pins for scorching. I had a faulty ATX extender that caused the pins to arc out and scorch resulting in re-booting.

probaly something with the memcontroller, well known problem with the Hasfail-E

They suddenly don't want to boot even after a normal shutdown or ar completely dead.

It happen for me with a 5820k , worked perfect normal shutdown next start dead.

The thing it was no OC no fast mems default voltages, a Cad workstation.