Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Now, just bring that "Connector" add-on ....

RWC's job is to handle cloud type and placement.

That clears things up perfectly to me. Thanks for the explanation.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

X-Plane will handle winds as it always has. RWC's job is to handle cloud type and placement. X-Plane separates wind METAR files from cloud coverage, so no issues here.

If I understand this correctly, this means with just RWC + SMP we won't have winds aloft outside of the USA? And we would have to add FSGRW to get a complete "weather environment", so to speak. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a somewhat awkward arrangement... Oh well, if it means we can finally get proper weather in XP10 it'll be worth it.

Cheers,

Steve

Are winds aloft in XpX's default weather restricted to the USA ?  I thought they were Worldwide ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Exactly, that's what I had in mind. Thx fkane.

Regarding cloud coverage, maybe X-plane does some internal "massage" to the METAR data fetched from the Net. That would be good for European airports, where cloud coverage in terms of METAR ends usually too low... ( 5,000' in most of Portugal for instance )

CAVOK can be reported with a mant of overcast or broken stratus at or above 10,000', for instance. In the USA we would see it reported.

I remember perfectly well an approach to Charles De Gaulle where the captain was saying, some 30 min before the arrival, the weather in Paris was clear, with a beautiful day... As I observed from the window that was really not what I expected to find, and the TAFs and charts I had picked at my office at the Portuguese MetOffice were evident proof of the opposite...

As we approached the airport, landed and left the aircraft, a grey day, with an overcast layer and some more broken layers above, was expecting us instead :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

The product page is now live with pricing details and answers about this product in more detail. We have also found a work around to allow plugins like NOAA to continue to provide wind data while we feed in cloud placement data.

With hoping I'm not overstepping boundaries since I did not create this topic, you can find more information here: http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/product_info.php/real-weather-connector-p-120

Founder of X-Aviation

Looks like a great addon!  Price looks good too! Cheaper than I thought it would be.

Another reason to look forward to Friday!

Rob

A first day buy for me Cameron!

Thx for the News - Looking VERY PROMISSING, and judging from SMP and the support users are receiving, with updates that bring it to a continuously better product, I'm sure we can't go wrong with the "Connector" :-)

Ok, now that I "have" the Connector ( well. almost... ) bring the Citation, and that iXEG 737 :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ok,

so, I started this thread a few days ago, and today, before leaving home, I was able to buy and download the Real Weather Connector, together with the latest version of SMP v3.

I didn't have much time to test, but the tests I ran at LPPT and LPMT were very rewarding and the concept is, in as far as I am concerned, proven to me - it works as advertised.

I'll try it tomorrow or still latter today, with different places and weather data around the World.

Regarding smoothness, I was already having a smooth display with SMP v3 and the NOAA(*) plugin, and the tests I ran were as smooth as I was already accustomed to. BTW, I made my

tests using the "Always" option in the new R-W W menu in SMP v3, because I wanted to test how it worked with the NOAA plugin. But in my next tests I will disable the NOAA plugin and see how it goes.

Beware that in order to use RWC you have to have SMPv3 !!!

They're both among my best acquisitions for X-Plane 10 :-)

(*) Beware that the NOAA plugin itself can cause freezes of 2-4 sec !

Main Simulation Rig:

XPX keeps getting better and better by the day.

Now if we only new what is coming with 10.50, wouldn't that be nice!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

The product page is now live with pricing details and answers about this product in more detail. We have also found a work around to allow plugins like NOAA to continue to provide wind data while we feed in cloud placement data.

With hoping I'm not overstepping boundaries since I did not create this topic, you can find more information here: http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/product_info.php/real-weather-connector-p-120

Cameron....at the last of the Real World Weather installer routine.......a command line window opened up, but did nothing.  It just sat there. I then placed my cursor and pressed the return key. Nothing...so I manually closed it.   With that being said, did my copy install properly?  What was DOS command line window for?

Nothing...so I manually closed it.   With that being said, did my copy install properly?  What was DOS command line window for?

Hmmm...well, at the end of the install your browser should open to the manual page. Perhaps there was a hiccup there?

Founder of X-Aviation

Hmmm...well, at the end of the install your browser should open to the manual page. Perhaps there was a hiccup there?

FWIW my install went OK, but no browser session opened at the end.

Win 10 64 bit here, only IE and EDGE available.

Main Simulation Rig:

No browser opened up, Cameron, just the DOS command window...and it just hung up...so I had to close it...and wondered if I got a good install.  I mean the applet is there...so I guess so.

I also had a DOS shell window open. The window title did display a URL I believe. I just closed it.