Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Now, just bring that "Connector" add-on ....

SMP v3.1 has just given me a great virtual flight experience, with weather injected by the NOAA plugin, and the clouds beautifully "painted" all around me.

Rain was there, the right amounts of wind variation and even turbulence both thanks to NOAA plugin, but the clouds, the light, all of the sky visuals were simply Great! No fps degradation at all !

Bring the connector!!!!

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'm using noaa plugin also , and I don't know if its something wrong in my installation, symaxx pro settings or what, but even with 3.1, most of the times when raining, I see just a few clouds, the rest of sky is blue.

I've had that experience in the past with the NOAA plugin, but now, and I really don't know what I did different, it works...

One suggestion:

- use skyvector.com or badbadweather.com to search for METAR with rain / snow ( RA, SHRA, TSRA, SN );

- go there in X-plane, but chose an aircraft with rain effects modeled.

Example: Searched BadBadWeather.com for rain and found

LEVD 101500Z 25021G31KT 5000 RA SCT008 BKN025 OVC035 05/03 Q1001

Went there and found a true to life windy and rainy day. Took my Carenado C90 for a circuit.

It can also have to do with the version of Python and Sandy's Python interface I use.

- NOAA Plugin version 2.2.1

- Sandy's Python Interface v2.7 from here

- Pyhton v 2.7.1 64 bit ( more recent versions of Python 2.7 are incompatible with Sandy's interface )

I believe I didn't see rain when using the Python Interface v2.6 and Python v2.6 and that's why I decided to try v2.7 of Python and Interface, but beware that 

the most recent versions of Python 2.7 also cause problems! 2.7.1 looks to me as the best choice.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Thanks,

I had noaa plugin 2.0, so upgraded to 2.14 just in case. (I already had phyton interface 2.73)

A picture from EGFF ..now with full rain coverage.. still I see it like clouds / clear sky day.

My skymaxx distance settings are at max.

(When I try to post a url jpeg or png I get "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." What extensions are allowed ?)

http://imgur.com/wlNY4kF

I am using the latest version of both - Python and NOAA - and yesterday, when it was snowing here, it was snowing at my local airport in X-Plane.  It continued to snow until I got above the clouds, which is what should happen.  Not rain, but it accurately portrayed what was going on.  Someone mentioned, and it must be true, that the weather in NOAA does not carry over to the weather radar in aircraft...  I don't like that.

John

John Wingold

Glad you're enjoying SkyMaxx Pro 3.1!

I should point out that you won't want to use the NOAA plugin in its current form with Real Weather Connector (RWC) once it's out. NOAA works by distilling the surrounding weather into three cloud layers that surround the plane, using X-Plane's datarefs. Real Weather Connector however uses X-Plane's METAR.rwx file to position different cloud fronts and systems where they should be, meaning you can have different weather visible in different places around the plane. So NOAA really negates the benefit of RWC by how it handles the clouds; it removes the information RWC needs.

Furthermore, RWC requires "real world weather" to be active in X-Plane, and NOAA disables that option from what I've seen. 

So - with RWC, you'll probably be better off without the NOAA plugin - at least until the author can adapt it to work better with RWC. I think the same is true for EFASS's weather injection. If you're really fond of the NOAA plugin, so as much as I hate to say it - RWC might not be a good purchase for you.

With RWC, you'll get the best results just using X-Plane's built-in real world weather feature. It also works with weather add-ons that communicate with X-Plane using the METAR.rwx file, such FS Global Real Weather (FSGRW).

Thx for making that clear.

No problem, provided the outcome is better than what I presently have with the NOAA plugin.

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

I'm one of those that never bothered to upgrade to SMP v3. However, with the impending release of this program, I was seriously considering upgrading SMP in order to use it; RWC looks like it's going to change a lot of what I didn't care for in terms of XP weather.

As such, I was pretty darn pleased to open up my email just now and see them temporarily bring back the upgrade discount for SMP v2 owners.

Good job!  I'm very sure that I'll be taking advantage of that!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Hmmm, I bought it after the initial discount, just a month or so latter  and payed for the full version again :-/  Not good to know that should I have waited a bit more I would have been able to buy it in discount again...

I'll skip the SaaB 340, again :-/

But, good for you Jimmy - I'm sure you'll like it !

Main Simulation Rig:

I'll skip the SaaB 340, again :-/

Haha...some kind of self punishment, or what? :)

Founder of X-Aviation

Haha...some kind of self punishment, or what? :)

Yep, sort of...  :)

Main Simulation Rig:

What weather injectors does RWC support apart from native X-Plane? Efass/UltraWX? FS Global Real Weather?

Torfi

RWC works by extracting detailed weather information from X-Plane's metar.rwx file. So X-Plane's built-in real weather, or FSGRW (which uses the metar.rwx file to communicate weather conditions to X-Plane) work well with it.

All other weather injectors I know of currently send weather information to X-Plane using datarefs, which limits them to just 3 cloud layers that cover the entire world at any given time. They don't send the detailed weather data we need. As a workaround, you can configure RWC to always use the most recently downloaded metar.rwx from X-Plane's built-in real world weather, and use that for positioning clouds. That way, you get the detail of METAR data for the clouds in your scene, but can still use these external injectors for things like winds, precipitation, turbulence, etc.

Short story: RWC works out of the box with built-in real world weather, FSGRW, or any future weather add-ons that interface with X-Plane using METAR data. And you can get it to play nice with other add-ons that take over X-Plane's weather with a couple of extra steps.

A couple of questions...

1) How will it cope with aloft data, namely winds ?  As of some recent version, winds aloft are back on default XpX weather, and do not make part of the METAR of course, so, I wonder how RWC will deal with that ?

2) Since METAR reports go only up to sector altitude, how will RWC cope with medium / higher levels on those cases. Example, sector altitude ( like around most European airfields ) is 5,000' at LPPT, so, above that, unless if significant, nothing will be reported, but you can have an OVC at 10,000' which would make your day a lot greyer.... Is RWC prepared to deal with that ? How ?

Thx

Main Simulation Rig:

1) How will it cope with aloft data, namely winds ?  As of some recent version, winds aloft are back on default XpX weather, and do not make part of the METAR of course, so, I wonder how RWC will deal with that ?

X-Plane will handle winds as it always has. RWC's job is to handle cloud type and placement. X-Plane separates wind METAR files from cloud coverage, so no issues here.

Founder of X-Aviation