Sign in to follow this  
jcny

FSX runs great except for a G3D.dll error, time to move to P3D?

Around six weeks ago, I decided to purchase Orbx FTX Global Base and FTX Global Vector, after years of GEX North America and UTX USA and Canada.  I also had REX Essentials Plus Overdrive. Everything ran extremely smooth with no micro stutters, hardly any crashes on my I7-4790K with a three year old Sapphire HD7970 VaporX GPU in DX9 mode.  I had bad tearing issues, which were resolved by purchasing a BenQ XL2720Z monitor with a 144 Hz refresh rate.

Of course the uninstall of UTX and GEX did not go perfectly, and I had to reinstall FSX on my wiped SSD drive.  Orbx Global and Vector look and run great.  I added REX 4 and Soft Clouds.  Once again, everything runs incredibly smooth and I am really enjoying it, except, whenever I start a flight out of KJFK, I get a Fatal Error, G3D.dll after around ten minutes of flying.  I don't remember if it crashes out of KLGA, I will try that tonight.

I purchased a new 512 SSD drive and intended to put P3D on it, but read some posts about micro stutters and other issues, with my luck I don't know if it will run as smooth as FSX on my old ATI video card(hey, I know it is not NVidia, but it really performs great!).  I really just want to fly and not spend my time troubleshooting problems!

I noticed the fatal error after upgrading to REX 4 and Soft Clouds and installing the Orbx Freeware FTX Global North America Airport pack.  I still get the error even if I launch FSX from its icon instead of the icon for REX4.  I installed FSUIPC freeware to see if it would trap the error, it did not.  I have Aerosofts Manhattan X and a shareware KJFK airport installed, which worked fine before REX 4 was installed. I use the Saitek Cessna Yoke and Pedals and .

My question is, should I move to P3D, or continue to troubleshoot the G3D error, or the obvious answer, do both?  Any help on the G3D.dll error would be much appreciated!

Jeff From Brooklyn

For FSX, the G3D error is trapped by the FSUIPC4.dll.  If you have FSUIPC4 installed, you will not get this error.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

FYI, I get G3D errors, trapped by FSUIPC4, around the area of UKBA, Duxford, Stansted.

I am pretty certain that these errors are caused by scenery elements as they always occur

in that area. I haven't taken the time to fly test patterns to try to pinpoint the actual position

of the error-causing elements yet. I just don't have time to do that at the moment.

I have OrbX EU plus Global and Vector installed and run in Hybrid mode so I believe the

active scenery reverts to the EU scenery. I do have several custom airports installed as well

so one or more of those may be causing the issues.

I have REX soft clouds installed but I am almost certain that these are not causing the G3D

errors sine, on my system, they are area specific.

I suggest running FSUIPC4 in FSX. That SHOULD trap the G3D errors, preventing a crash.

The FSUIPC4.log file will show if any G3D errors were trapped along with a time stamp that

might prove useful in tracking down where in the flight you encountered the error(s).

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

For FSX, the G3D error is trapped by the FSUIPC4.dll. If you have FSUIPC4 installed, you will not get this error.

Best regards,

I was under the impression that FSUIPC trapped some, but not all G3D errors. Although the ones it traps are probably the most common.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I was under the impression that FSUIPC trapped some, but not all G3D errors. Although the ones it traps are probably the most common.

In fact it only traps ONE, the most common one. I looked at some of the others but they were much more varied and in parts of the code I really couldn't do anything about.

The G3D error FSUIPC traps was fixed in FSX-SE and P3D2.x and 3.x. It still existed in P3D1.x.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I have FSUIPC4 installed, I still get the G3D.dll crash.  Do I have to set anything in FSUIPC to trap the error, or does it just need to be installed?  Once again, I only get this error when I fly out of NYC.  It always crashes after I fly into New Jersey, right by MetLife Stadium, or is it Giants Stadium.  But it also crashed in Long Island flying to Boston.

Yesterday, I deleted the Facilities and Scenery Indexes, and FSX did not crash, I flew from KJFK to KEWR (Newark/ Liberty).  I thought I had this solved, but the next flight had the dreaded G3D.dll crash.

I think I am going to put P3D on my new hard drive, and wipe my current drive and reinstall FSX and Orbx, Rex, FreemeshX.  It should not take too long, 

Jeff from Brooklyn

I have FSUIPC4 installed, I still get the G3D.dll crash.  Do I have to set anything in FSUIPC to trap the error, or does it just need to be installed?  Once again, I only get this error when I fly out of NYC.  It always crashes after I fly into New Jersey, right by MetLife Stadium, or is it Giants Stadium.  But it also crashed in Long Island flying to Boston.

Yesterday, I deleted the Facilities and Scenery Indexes, and FSX did not crash, I flew from KJFK to KEWR (Newark/ Liberty).  I thought I had this solved, but the next flight had the dreaded G3D.dll crash.

I think I am going to put P3D on my new hard drive, and wipe my current drive and reinstall FSX and Orbx, Rex, FreemeshX.  It should not take too long, 

Jeff from Brooklyn

FSUIPC patches G3D automatically if it needs it, but it's only one crash out of many possibles. If you are getting consistent crashes it is likely you have bad or corrupted scenery files. And they would crash in P3D too.

You might need to eliminate scenery layers. I do things like that by halves -- last half, then first half (excluding the default layers of course), then half again for the half in which I get the problem, and so on, until you get the one layer. Trouble is if you have more than one problem scenery layer that don't work.

Incidentally I've never actually had a G3D crash -- I had to get others to test my patch for me. And I have almost all the payware airports you can get for Europe! The only ones I've had have been in other places, like TERRAIN.DLL.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen