Sign in to follow this  

My system has been stable for years overclocked 2500k at 4.8 ghz and then it failed. So I went and bought some high quality thermal paste and the temps  are good

I ran prime 95 ,no problems at all. Im not getting blue screens back at my old settings but windows and fsx is unstable at ANY overclock setting above the default 3.7ghz. Anyone know what may be causing this?

ZORAN

How do you define unstable? You say no blues screens, so what exactly are the symptoms? Locks ups? Slow downs?

Actually I will put this topic on hold as Im having problems even at default clock speeds. Fsx CTD , all sorts of errors audio. dll, terrain .dll

Firefox browser crashing ,add ons crashing..

I need to do some investigating but thanks for the reply

ZORAN

Check your RAM Zoran!!!

Good thinking, I had them both out today

ZORAN

Check your RAM Zoran!!!

Re seating them has fixed the random program crashes . Have run memtest and no problems

However fsx continues to crash with events viewer showing Audio and terrain Dll however Ive restored FSX from 2 different back ups but getting the same errors which is really confusing. Could it be hardware problems? Why am I getting the same errors from 2 perfectly good back ups

This all started today after I applied heat sink paste

EDIT

DCS has become buggy as well, cant launch a flight and buggy menus.

Have scanned for a virus but machine is clean, what a mess !

ZORAN

I know you ran memtest, but it's still worth trying one stick at a time, just in case you have a dodgy stick. Different slots too.

SSD or mechanical drives?Crystal Disk info to check your drives.

Will do . Im currently testing an older fsx back up and it appears to be holding up 30 mins into a long flight. fingers crossed but will thoroughly test RAM as well just to be safe

edit

Damn I jinxed it. Back to square 1, time for more RAM testing

ZORAN

Think I found it. One of the sticks keeps causing my browser to crash while the other works fine. Although windows mem test reports they are both ok.

Crystal disk shows both SSD are good

So I should just replace the faulty stick with the same brand or should I just grab 2 new ones ? they are Gskill snipers

ZORAN

After a ton of testing the result is multiple program crashes on both sticks tested separately eg Fireox crash, FSX crash on start up and now ORBX vector is crashing on both sticks.

So did both sticks fail together or is it something else but what ?

I think I need to start a new topic because its no longer about OC

EDIT

Topic continued here

http://www.avsim.com/topic/486904-multiple-program-crashes/

ZORAN