Sign in to follow this  
phantomflyer81

Runtime errors since 01JAN16: 1.10.7025 Optimizations and memory use improvements

Hello folks,

I went into the OC 3 days ago to find several messages about updates I didn't have, so I let it update the OC 1st. Then I checked the other messages to find I needed to re-download full installers for the 777-200LR and 777-300ER which I did (always turn off AV during downloads) but after extracting, I found zero documentation on how to install these in the read me or on PMDG site.

Frustrated by the lack of instructions, I simply ran the new January 2016 installers (as admin and with AV off)  and used the "repair" option for both the T7-200LR and T7-300ER.

Seemed to work until my OC said that I had corrupt liveries click to repair which I did. No more error messages and no more messages from OC - seemed good to me!

Went for a flight in a T7-300ER and it worked fine for a 16 hour flight (never use time compression)

The next day I used the T7-200LR and within an hour I got CTD of FSX with a 6025 runtime error. Something I never had experienced. I tried again 3 more times with the T7-200LR - same thing happened! The 300ER seems fine but not the 200. This has me in a quandary.

1)Why are there no instructions as to proper installation?

2)What did I do wrong?

3)How do I fix this?

Sysytem specs i7 6700K @4.8Ghz Liquid cooled  - PC is only 5 months old

Nvidia GTX 970 latest drivers

16Gb DDR4 system Ram

Win7 pro 64 updated regularly UAC off installed in 250Gb  SSD C:\   everything FSX related is run as administrator and fully updated

FSX (Not SE!)Sp1 and Sp2 installed in 2Tb mechanical HD - D:\FSX 

ASN in D:\

UTX and GEX - covering the world and fully updated

REX TD4 with Soft Clouds fully updated

Can anyone please assist here. I'm tempted to repair again or do a fresh install  (only if I really must) but need advice on how to do either of these first,

Best regards

Bill Alexander

Hi Bill,

If I remember rightly, with the new installers, you were supposed to uninstall the old versions and reinstall the new, rather than the repair feature. And there were definitely instructions on how to do this because I remember following them myself, but now I'm damned if I can find them.

Basically, to uninstall, you uninstall the normal way via control panel. You then delete all vestiges of the PMDG 777 in your FSX\PMDG folder, FSX\SimObjects folder, AppData\Roaming\PMDG and AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SimObjects folder and anywhere else you can find them, as the uninstaller does leave bits and bobs behind. I would then run a registry cleaner if you have one, restart, and then run the full installers again.

Hello John,

Thank you!

Yes, I also remember reading instructions and was coming up blank too - until I just decided to look in FSX/PMDG/PMDG 777x  folder! I found this in the "base pack" read me:

INSTALL NOTES:
==============
This installer will search for your flight simulator installation as it
is reported by the registry on your machine.  If you have moved your 
flight simulator installation, or if you deleted it and re-installed
in a new location without updating the registry on your computer, you
may be told by this installer that it cannot find your MSFS installation.

If this message is displayed, you must manually navigate the installer
so that it points to your default MSFS installation directory, or this
airplane will not install correctly.

UNINSTALL NOTES:
================
If you need to uninstall the PMDG 777-200LR/F or any other PMDG Simulations 
product, please run this installer again and select the REMOVE option.  
Also, you can use the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS item in your Windows Control Panel.

DO NOT MANUALLY DELETE FILES FROM YOUR MACHINE.  (we warned you!)

What worries me somewhat is that this says "do not manually delete files..." with a terse warning -  Seeing that beggars the question, do I or don't I delete any folder(s)? 

Cheers,
Bill

Seeing that beggars the question, do I or don't I delete any folder(s)? 

The quote literally says that you should not delete things. I'm not entirely sure where the question lies. 

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle and John,

I will, for now, first use the OC livery manager and get rid of all liveries, then I will use the installer's "remove" function. Then I will have a good look around to see what remains. 

Obviously, I don't want any unnecessary livery textures left, but I am loathe to mess with anything that wrecks my registry.

I will wait until a PMDG rep posts here.

Thanks to you both for your prompt replies

Bill

I will, for now, first use the OC livery manager and get rid of all liveries

Why are you deleting liveries?

then I will use the installer's "remove" function.

This, or the Control Panel's Add/Remove function - same result, so whichever is easier for you.

Then I will have a good look around to see what remains. 

No need.

Obviously, I don't want any unnecessary livery textures left

Why are you removing textures?

but I am loathe to mess with anything that wrecks my registry.

No need for this. Our uninstaller is a comprehensive one. It removed everything it needs to remove such that nothing will interfere when you go to reinstall.

I know other providers of software might make you do all kinds of backflips to uninstall cleanly enough to reinstall, but this one is pretty simple:

Full Installer? Uninstall old version - install new version.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for answering everything! 

I didn't do anything at all, but now I will simply do as you said. Liveries can stay and will do it simply with the installer.

Best regards,

Bill

Not to worry John! 

These things happen - for my own future reference, I made note of the PMDG base pack folder's read me = it's the place to go if unsure about install/uninstall methodology. 

I did just as Kyle said (thanks again) and I saw that Direct X and, I think - because it was very quick, that runtime was also configured - I can assume that's where I got my problem and that it's now going to be fine .

All my liveries are still intact and I did a short hand-flown flight around KSEA and all seems perfectly fine now. I did notice that the wing lights are a bit different in this latest version - the trailing edge white lights are extended further back pretty much like the B737NG ones are. I'm sure I will discover other changes as I fly.

That said, I'm going flying! 

PS - I had to re-install the nav data - that's another area that didn't need updating when I just used the "repair" function of the new installer. That also tells me to always uninstall old when using a new full installer! 

Thanks to all for the input,

Bill Alexander (out for now!)

In that case, mine was gross misinformation. Sorry about that. I shall bear in mind in future that PMDG installers do the job for you.

There are a couple steps that we have the beta teams accomplish just to make absolutely sure that there's nothing hanging around from prior versions, but those aren't truly necessary for end users. The Add/Remove Programs function is good enough.

Kyle Rodgers

And it works very well too! 

I need to correct something about the wing tip trailing edge white lights - they were longer when I did the "repair" function of the new full installer. Now they are exactly where they belong. Also, the landing lights at the wing roots were "doubled up" - now they are not. That could have been an indication that I did something wrong - and I do believe that runtime errors can be produced by visual things such as that, though I'm no expert in the area.

I just wanted to clarify this in case anyone else installed using the repair function - if you notice these peculiarities, it's probably a indication that something is not quite right. 

Cheers folks!

Bill