Sign in to follow this  
kmax59

Default ATC - SID and STARS - Sound stutters

Hi guys,

I am not often writing here but I am reading you everyday, this section of the avsim forum is a real encyclopedia and each day I am learning new things and today I would really appreciate your help.

For quite some time I am using RCV4 for my ATC but I am getting bored using too many external software when flying. I would now like to come back to the default FS9 ATC but two annoying things always prevented me to use it again :

- First I always met on any computer running FS9 some sound stutters when the ATC sounds are being played at first word of an ATC call, especially when there is AI traffic. Is there a way to prevent this? Is EditVoicePack able to enhance this?

- Secondly, I am always getting crazy trying to fly SID and STARS with the default ATC that always makes me descend far too early and prevent me to fly normal SID and STARS as it always giving me vectors. Is there any tip to fly them correctly without needing another external software?

Thanks by advance for your help !  :smile: 

Maxime.

Maxime
TOGA projects

If you are getting sound stutters especially with lots of AI around in the 40 nm region then perhaps you have a performance problem in your PC setup in that not enough resources are available. We always recommend using a separate sound card with its own processor and ram. AI rendering takes lots of CPU power along with static 3D objects in airport areas. FS9 renders objects totally in the CPU instead of using the full capabilities of your video processor (GPU).

A published benchmark series did show however that with Win 7 (and later, I suppose) FS performance improved because of the assumption that any complex math as used in rendering was trapped and passed to the GPU for execution with its greater math processing power. This relieved the main CPU for other processing including any sound processing such as gathering the phrases prior to output (buffering) if used as in RC4.

In Win 7 FS9 executes with all processes related to it in a normally 2 Gbyte environment assigned to X86 applications. System processes will run in their own chunk of ram space.

FS9 is not coded for multi threading though a multi core GPU again could have background apps running on a different core reducing the load of the core assigned to FS9 as managed by the operating system.

You also should check with "confliction" where crew type add-ons might conflict with ATC coms.

If the physical resources of your PC are limited, it might not be able to handle the heavier rendering loads and lack efficient sound processing in airport areas.

You might wish to  browse the hardware forums here for similar problems.

- Secondly, I am always getting crazy trying to fly SID and STARS with the default ATC that always makes me descend far too early and prevent me to fly normal SID and STARS as it always giving me vectors. Is there any tip to fly them correctly without needing another external software?

Default ATC knows nothing about SIDS/STARS and will always vector you when you are close to the airport. You need to use an addon ATC program (I use PF3) where you can set/use altitude limits for SID/STAR waypoints, and where you can set it up so if you don't want vectors you wont get them.

• Upvote 1

Peter Schluter

If you want default ATC to use up-to-date approaches you will have to update the FS approach database. To do this I use ADE. For info on how to do this and use ADE go to http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/

When FS ATC offers you vectors refuse them and ask for an ILS, RNAV, DME Arc or whatever you require with the appropriate transition.

As for FSATC asking you to descend too early….that's great, it's too late that is the worry. (I normally find them pretty spot on and often ask them for an early descent)

I love FSATC but admit it is only fun if you know how to use and manipulate it.

Hi all,

At first, many thanks for your answers.

If you are getting sound stutters especially with lots of AI around in the 40 nm region then perhaps you have a performance problem in your PC setup in that not enough resources are available. We always recommend using a separate sound card with its own processor and ram.

Actually my computer is pretty powerfull, I should have put my config within my message. I do not have any kind of performance or sound issue with FS9 except the default ATC (I was not talking about RCV4 which runs perfectly smoothly). The problem is that FS9 does not allow to set another sound card to be used for ATC.

Default ATC knows nothing about SIDS/STARS and will always vector you when you are close to the airport. You need to use an addon ATC program (I use PF3) where you can set/use altitude limits for SID/STAR waypoints, and where you can set it up so if you don't want vectors you wont get them.

Indeed I already know that SID/STARS were not supported by default ATC but I was thinking about a way it could let us doing what we want for the approach phase instead of always repeating the vectors and altitude if I get too far from what they want during a STAR.

As for FSATC asking you to descend too early….that's great, it's too late that is the worry. (I normally find them pretty spot on and often ask them for an early descent)

I love FSATC but admit it is only fun if you know how to use and manipulate it.

Thanks also for your answer here Ed, I posted at the same time here and on your youtube video.

Indeed it's better to descend early than later but many times I've been too low and still quite far from my destination, but I guess there is not much to do there with default ATC.

Thanks again guys  :smile:

Maxime
TOGA projects

Google "Home of the Hermit Relaxed ATC" or "Propliner Relaxed ATC".

Download "Relaxed ATC" and use the modified (Default) ATC.dll in folder "C".

Descend well after ATC issues descent clearance (when you want) without any nagging to expedite your descent.
To fly a STAR or SID, just acknowledge ATC's vectors and fly the STAR or SID with no nagging to expedite your heading or altitude.
ATC will not cancel your IFR flight plan.  If you step out of the room, no need to worry about 3 warnings to acknowledge, or your IFR flight plan is cancelled.  No need to do the; ATC hand off, don't contact the next ATC center to keep you IFR flight plan from being cancelled.

Read more here:  http://calclassic.proboards.com/thread/4931/propliner-relaxed-atc

RJ

I would highly recommend RJ links.

but I was thinking about a way it could let us doing what we want for the approach phase instead of always repeating the vectors and altitude if I get too far from what they want during a STAR

All you need to do is not to accept vectors and select the next choice you are given (ILS, RNAV etc etc) I have shown this  in every video flight I have done over the last 12 years.

The default approaches/ transitions are all still there… just some need updating or new ones written.

If all you need is the transition, you do not even need to write the full approach. Just write your transition IAF and altitude and that's it!

Google "Home of the Hermit Relaxed ATC" or "Propliner Relaxed ATC".

Download "Relaxed ATC" and use the modified (Default) ATC.dll in folder "C".

Descend well after ATC issues descent clearance (when you want) without any nagging to expedite your descent.

To fly a STAR or SID, just acknowledge ATC's vectors and fly the STAR or SID with no nagging to expedite your heading or altitude.

ATC will not cancel your IFR flight plan.  If you step out of the room, no need to worry about 3 warnings to acknowledge, or your IFR flight plan is cancelled.  No need to do the; ATC hand off, don't contact the next ATC center to keep you IFR flight plan from being cancelled.

Read more here:  http://calclassic.pr...ner-relaxed-atc

RJ

How could I have missed this while I've spent hours on calclassic?!

Thanks a lot !  :smile:

All you need to do is not to accept vectors and select the next choice you are given (ILS, RNAV etc etc) I have shown this  in every video flight I have done over the last 12 years.

The default approaches/ transitions are all still there… just some need updating or new ones written.

If all you need is the transition, you do not even need to write the full approach. Just write your transition IAF and altitude and that's it!

Indeed Ed, that's what I understood by watching your videos but actually I didn't know how you were able to fly current approaches before you told me. Your method by updating fs approaches data is probably the most realistic way to fly with default ATC but I was searching a more generic method in order not to need tweaking all the airports I am flying to.

Flying old approaches is simply useless as the data is too much outdated. At first I was just searching a way to fly the current approaches without always being yelled by ATC and I think RJ's link is the best solution to that. 

I will probably now use your method for my favorite airports combined with the modified ATC that RJ was talking about, this way I will have fully realistic approaches at airports I am using the most and a generic solution for other destinations.

Just a last question about ATC, do you recommend any must have Edit Voice Pack package that you are using to enhance default ATC?

Apart that and my ATC sound stutters mystery (but don't think I'll be able to find a solution, I always met that with FS9), I found the answers !

Many thanks, and happy flying  :wink:

Edited by kmax59

Maxime
TOGA projects

Just a last question about ATC, do you recommend any must have Edit Voice Pack package that you are using to enhance default ATC?

Package? I definitely recommend accelerating FSATC with editvoicepack, especially if you fly heavy iron into busy airports with AI. FSATC is way too slow for this. 

Apart that and my ATC sound stutters mystery

Don't give up on this. Google "fs2004 sound problems" there must be an answer out there. 

Package? I definitely recommend accelerating FSATC with editvoicepack, especially if you fly heavy iron into busy airports with AI. FSATC is way too slow for this. 

Don't give up on this. Google "fs2004 sound problems" there must be an answer out there. 

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the advice for EditVoicePack, will do that.

Unfortunately I already spent many hours (or days?) searching for a solution to these ATC sound stutters but never found a solution yet.

Maxime
TOGA projects

If you have a flight planner that has the capability of AIRAC updates that will gave you the waypoints for current departures and approaches to be placed in your plan.

Combine that with "relaxed ATC" to get guidance on your instrumentation, otherwise use RC or another ATC package that offers routing options.

For a very flexible planner I use fsbuild 2.43 updating it occasionally with Aerosoft's Navdata Pro. I then using FS Build's option to rebuild from the route grid export one plan for ATC and another for the aircraft's navigation system (the aircraft's database is also AIRAC updated so all is in sync.)

I started with FS2002 and dropped using FS ATC because of its inflexible excessively restrictive nature.