Sign in to follow this  
jrs182p

Active Sky Next Strange Fog/Haze

I'm having a few performance issues with ASN when it comes to specific weather conditions ... like overcast and/or stormy weather.  I didn't have this issue in prior ASN builds ... Also, to be noted, if I setup very similar manual weather using P3D UI, I don't have any performance issues and all look good.  

For similar weather compares with P3D UI vs weather from ASN, there appears to be about 200-300% more (and smaller) clouds in ASN ... which would explain the FPS hit.

I've asked Damian if he can provide more info on what he thinks changed in regards to Volumetric Fog in P3D V3.2?  There is NO mention of Volumetric fog changes in the P3D Learning Centery "what's new" section for V3.2 and there was NOTHING reported in LM's Beta forum ... so I'm very curious to see what HiFi think changed?

Cheers, Rob.

Rob..I was just coming here to say that I think the latest ASN SP4.1/P3D v3.2 combo is broken...not interacting right.  Outside my home is dreary and overcast..yet I have sunny skies with high wispy clouds and no lower cloud or overcast display.  Something is clearly not working with the two in action...ASN SP4.1 and v3.2!!!  I know that ASN is connected, by the program, as well as the B.P....changing....but weather metrics and visuals, aren't even close to real world at location.

Post Edit...just thought to add, if I use ORBX weather settings....(manual choice), I get the right kind of clouds, etc...rain, etc...so it is not REX4 Direct HD's not having placed accessible files...

Mitch

It's happened to me with Opus FSI as well since 3.2

It's 100% something that has changed in P3D since the 3.2 upgrade

It's happened to me with Opus FSI as well since 3.2

It's 100% something that has changed in P3D since the 3.2 upgrade

Well, that's not good if evident...:(

Can't comment on other settings, but the 130 max vis in ASN fixed my ugly edge on volumetric fog layer. My max ground vis is 35

Nice to hear.

However not everyone can use multiple vis layers + 130 max vis + clouds 133 + vol fog ....

Especially when using more than 1 outside view

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Are you sure this is a 3.2 problem?

I am still on 3.1 and have the same effect.

I must admit I reverted to 3.1 last night as I thought it would fix this issue but it didn't. It looked the same. Maybe I just never noticed it before!

Does anyone else notice a huge FPS cut while flying trough a cloud? It doesn't happen all the time, but on occasion flying trough a cloud will cut my FPS in half. Very strange, as this never happened before. Hopefully ASN or REX will solve this problem soon. 

REX made the clouds bigger to prevent 'popcorn' clouds. This has a performance impact. In the latest update of the REX application they added a new option where you can set the cloud size yourself, so you can find a performance/looks compromise or reset to the original value.

----

Kenneth Verburg, Netherlands

Hello Ken;

Are you talking about the Cloud Sizing Algorithm? Is so, mine is unticked. Thx. 

Yes, talking about that one. Mine is also unticked, but it keeps showing the 0.6 I set it to in a previous session.

----

Kenneth Verburg, Netherlands

Does anyone else notice a huge FPS cut while flying trough a cloud?

Most definitely.  Something is definitely up.

I have also noticed that ASN weather stops refreshing it self, all of a sudden. I will be flying and all clouds/visibility options would just disappear for no reason. I have to then go into ASN Debug window and refresh the weather. Very strange. I hope that they will fix it soon. 

Hi,

Have there been any developments regarding these matters? Yesterday I thought I would give ASN a try, but that ugly blue fog layer band stretching across the horizon was an immediate showstopper and so ASN has been shelved for the time being. I note the colour has not been mention so I'm suspecting the recent 'RealismShaderPack' may be bringing this issue to prominence. Could be a problem if, like me, we will not give up RSP with its wonderfully transformative lighting enhancements. Hopefully Damian et all will be able to work their magic.

Mike

Same ugly stuff in 3.1. with ASN, this is not a 3.2. issue. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam