Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

For those that have a blurry ground texture problem...are you running a custom LOD?

I started to get blurries, in going anything over the stock LOD of 6.5. The higher I went..the worse the total rendering was. 

I went back to the stock 6.5, and got crystal clear once more.  So,  if you do have blurred textures, might you be running a higher LOD than what the sim is designed for?

I'm keeping mine at 6.5, because I had always set FSX from it's stock 4.5, to 6.5 anyways...and was quite happy with the result.

Hope this helps,

Ses

I get them a little bit in 3.2 but I use default LOD.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I started to get blurries, in going anything over the stock LOD of 6.5

6.5 is the max limit for P3dv2 on-wards, LM said they cannot unlock the LOD similar to what FSX has because it opens pandora`s box to more problems, if you want to try and search the LM forums for more on the topic there are several previous posts.

tpewpb-6.png

Wait what? I only set LOD radius to ultra in the settings. But in the config it shows as 8.5? I assumed that was correct for the ultra setting. I did not manually change or edit that.

Gonna change it back to 6.5 and see if the blurries go away.

Thanks for the tip.

Wait what? I only set LOD radius to ultra in the settings. But in the config it shows as 8.5? I assumed that was correct for the ultra setting. I did not manually change or edit that.

Gonna change it back to 6.5 and see if the blurries go away.

Thanks for the tip.

After you mentioned that you were set to 8.5...I was of course curious. So, I set up a test flight scenario.  I then increased to 8.5...and in fact had blurries. I then drop out of the sim, reduced to 7.5, and pretty much the same. I then went back to what P3D v3.2 was coded to run at...(6.5) and then did the test run.  Back to clear shots. So...I won't be mucking around with the LOD any further. In FSX I did go from 4.5 to 6.5 with no blur for the 2 increment bump-up...but P3D is not FSX, lol.

Cheers,

Ses

After you mentioned that you were set to 8.5...I was of course curious. So, I set up a test flight scenario.  I then increased to 8.5...and in fact had blurries. I then drop out of the sim, reduced to 7.5, and pretty much the same. I then went back to what P3D v3.2 was coded to run at...(6.5) and then did the test run.  Back to clear shots. So...I won't be mucking around with the LOD any further. In FSX I did go from 4.5 to 6.5 with no blur for the 2 increment bump-up...but P3D is not FSX, lol.

Cheers,

Ses

That must be it then. Haven't had the time to test it out but I'm gonna revert to an AM of 116 and give it a shot. It's odd though I didn't change that value manually. Could be some addon that did that automatically.

Which also means for some reason v 3.0-3.1 could handle that LOD of 8.5? There were no blurries and it does seem like it loads more as opposed to 6.5. I think it does work actually since the sim doesn't revert it to 6.5 if you set it at 8.5. And the LOD setting under options changes from "MAX" to a blank text.

I use the default LOD and AM 116 and have clear textures throughout. The only strange thing I notice is after a flight, when on finals with runway in sight, the the terrain becomes blurry. Only when the runway is in sight after a flight. During the flight, textures are sharp and clear.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

How are you guys changing the LOD? is this done from within the sim or a manual edit to the config file ?

You do it from within the .cftg file..but...P3D v3.2 is baked in at 6.5 and locked...

You do it from within the .cftg file..but...P3D v3.2 is baked in at 6.5 and locked...

You may be doing it in the cfg but you SHOULD be doing it from within the sim. No need to use to edit the cfg for this. Stick with the ingame settings and you shouldn't have any problems. And the sim is not locked at 6.5. Every setting in the sim results in a different LOD.

Sometimes I wish it was impossible to screw around in cfg's.

I use the default LOD and AM 116 and have clear textures throughout. The only strange thing I notice is after a flight, when on finals with runway in sight, the the terrain becomes blurry. Only when the runway is in sight after a flight. During the flight, textures are sharp and clear.

So I guess it's not entirely a LOD issue then. Have you tried different AMs? Ones that use more cores, 245,248 etc.

You may be doing it in the cfg but you SHOULD be doing it from within the sim. No need to use to edit the cfg for this. Stick with the ingame settings and you shouldn't have any problems. And the sim is not locked at 6.5. Every setting in the sim results in a different LOD.

Sometimes I wish it was impossible to screw around in cfg's.

Yes. I use "High" which results in 4.5, the max which was available from the GUI in FSX and P3D 1.x. In FSX, setting it above 4.5 was just asking for trouble (blurries, OOMs) so I keep it sane at 4.5 in P3D v2/3 as well.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

When high LOD is used, or intense scenery, there's a case for increasing FFTF, maybe try 0.4. Use of FFTF below 0.3 reduces the usefulness of a fourth sim job. The AMs 116 (three cores) and 85 (four cores), and their equivalents (like 170 and 184), can't be beat on the four core +HT. But performance can be scuppered by allowing addon exe activity onto the core with the first unmasked bit, core zero in the case of AM-85, and core 1 in the case of AM=116. In the case of AM=116, also avoid addon exe activity on core 2 with LPs 4 and 5. Unmasking five LPs (as in AM=248) should be avoided, these always reduce performance.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com